In the early stages can you claim any benefits for financial help?

Trixxie

Oct 3, 2014
Midsomer Norton near Bath
We are only a month after diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease & my hubby has had to have some time off work, he's self employed and not taken the diagnosis very well at all. Ive yet to inform DVLA and I trying to get a lasting power of attorney but it's finding the extra money for everything. Would we be able to claim anything at this early stage?

Hubby just diagnosed with EOAD :(

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
I think you may be able to get discount on council tax but need to have attendance allowance to claim (!!) - so ask about that too (I didn't know attendance/ct discount an option until mum in hospital) - fair to say SS don't volunteer info - speak to Alzheimers Soc.

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
A person with dementia is excluded from council tax therefore the partner or spouse can receive the 25% single person discount. If the only person at the property has dementia the property becomes council tax exempt, this includes any carers so there is no council tax to pay.

My dad owns his property and my son and daughter-in-law live there looking after him, I'm so lucky:) anyhow I knew of this exemption and they claimed, this continues even if he goes into a home. For some reason partners or spouse do not count as carers so will only be able to claim the single person discount.

Get a claim in ASAP for Attendance allowance if you haven't already done so, the council tax rebate can be back dated to when the allowance was awarded. If under 65 claim PIP.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=137

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Cloverland said:
this continues even if he goes into a home.

I'm not sure this is true. :confused:

I live in a council property, my son is severely disabled. We get 50% discount on our council tax (my partner works) as my son can sometimes need support from two people, so my partner is classified as second carer.

We are not exempt and if he lived in care I would expect that we would have to pay full council tax.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
You are right Gwen. my husband is in nursing care and I continue to get the 25% discount but only because I am now the sole occupant of our property and as such I qualify.

Jay

mumbasi

Sep 1, 2013
If under 65 years of age then Personal Independence Payment can be claimed, Attendance allowance is for over 65.

Good luck and get one of the helping agencies to assist with filling in the forms.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hi My first post on here so I hope I get it right. My husband was diagnosed with dementia in February following a brain scan. Vascular and frontal lobe.We have been awarded Attendance Allowance. A BADS test showed he was in the bottom 2% of the population for cognitive function and he is able to do very little for himself apart from getting dressed which takes at least an hour.
I applied for a council tax reduction and had to give the doctor the form to sign and forward. Chasing this up I have
been told that the application has been turned down because the doctor ticked the box which stated that my husband did not have a severe mental impairment. She has only seen him twice on unrelated issues. Should I be challenging this decision?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hi My first post on here so I hope I get it right. My husband was diagnosed with dementia in February following a brain scan. Vascular and frontal lobe.We have been awarded Attendance Allowance. A BADS test showed he was in the bottom 2% of the population for cognitive function and he is able to do very little for himself apart from getting dressed which takes at least an hour.
I applied for a council tax reduction and had to give the doctor the form to sign and forward. Chasing this up I have
been told that the application has been turned down because the doctor ticked the box which stated that my husband did not have a severe mental impairment. She has only seen him twice on unrelated issues. Should I be challenging this decision?

Yes is the simple answer. When you appeal get someone from Age UK or Alz Soc to do it for you. They know the trigger statements to make. We are all inclined to be too self effacing in these things.

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
My husband was 61 when he stopped working 3 years ago. He gets Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance. When you get the form for DLA or PIP as it is called now, make an appointment with someone from Citizens Advice or some other body to help you fill in the form. I go on my own to apply for this benefit because I find it very stressful having to put down in black and white what my husband can't do. Once you receive the PIP then you can get a reduction on your Council Tax. When you are caring for your husband for 35hrs a week you can then apply for Carer Allowance. Hope this helps.

Carol

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
If I got anything wrong I sorry but that was the information I was given/found when we applied for dads council tax rebate. His property is exempt because of his condition and carers do not have to pay unless partner or spouse, dad has a nil council tax bill.

Could be they have changed their rules again but this was definitely the case earlier this year.

Both carers are also disregarded,

'More than one person in the same dwelling can count as a carer, including where caring responsibilities are being shared'.

Last edited: