Cutlery problems

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
My mam seems to be losing the ability to use a knife and fork. Foods like soup, served in a bowl and eaten with a spoon are no problem at the moment, so dad and I are trying to think of easy to eat foods that she could have like this.

But dad himself has dietary problems and there is such a lot that he can't eat, such as red meat, spices, etc, so finding such meals that will suit both of them is difficult. He really doesn't want to have to cook separate meals for them both if it can be avoided.

Having read Norrms post about coloured crockery made me wonder if there is anything that would help mam to use a knife and fork, any specially shaped ones, for instance, or whether anyone has any other tips that we could try?

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Hi you can get big handled spoons knives and forks so it's eaiser for the person to hold them and ones where the heads are twisted at a right angle easier for getting food from a to b :) I'm not sure where you can get them from though :/ maybe have a look on amazon I'm sure there's lots of other adaptions too :) hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Would your dad simply be able to cut her food up and let her eat it with a spoon? My mum managed this way for quite a while. We still set the table with a knife and fork for her from sheer habit though.

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
There is lots of adaptions on amazon I just had a look and typed in 'cutlery assistance' and 'cutlery disabled' and loads of different things came up :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you all, very quick responses! Off to have a look now. Do you think red cutlery might also help?

Sistermillicent, I did suggest that but it seemed to go over his head!

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Oh CG, how well I know that response. Two emergency trips to parents last week because dad would NOT have a wheelchair, mum finally admitted as emergency to care home.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I ended up with either finger food or something that could be eaten out of a pasta bowl with a fork or spoon, not too liquid though as it quite often was treated as finger food.
Bibs with a pocket on them are marvellous.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
If your Mum is managing a spoon then it probably may not solve the knife and fork problem. Similar to small children, they manage a spoon before they manage a knife and fork.

It might be easier to use a spoon and cut the food bite size. You can buy guards that go part way round a plate and as the spoon is pushed the guard stops it going over the edge of the plate and helps the food lodge on the spoon.

Jay

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Allen also uses a pasta dish for all his meals as he either pushed the food off or spilled it
we have had no spilling accidents since we started using them,:)

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you all again - in the last few minutes I've seen some plates with a deep lip which may be ideal.

Jay, you are probably right but I thought it might be worth a try. How we struggle to keep up 'normality' :rolleyes:

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello college girl reading your post was interesting my husband has just started using fork only, l keep saying why are you not using your fork, he says l don't need it, now l know its because of the Alzheimers he has forgotten how to use his knife, you learn something everyday thank you.♥♥♥ (sorry put fork instead of knife)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If you want to try cutlery with a bigger grip, just to see, get down to a DIY shed and buy a length of grey pipe insulation and stick the fork handle down it.

Personally I doubt it wil make a great deal of difference - its a * fine motor skill* that she is possibly loosing.

Again, if you want to try a lipped plate, try with a ceramic flan dish first.

http://www.wilko.com/invt/0242804

http://www.wilko.com/invt/0228795

Last edited:

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Once Mum's fine motor skills started to go a fork was a liability, the prongs would hit the side of her mouth causing frustration etc. we switched to a spoon which was much less dangerous.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Home Bargains pasta dishes 59p each I got 6 of them they are the right size and not too thick or heavy

like these

BWBR046-black-toast-pasta-bowl-medium.jpg

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
About two years ago, my mother lost track of how to use a fork. Now, once in awhile, she can use one, but we just cut her food up into very small bits, and she uses a spoon. This helps her keep her dignity without having us watch her all the time. We use lovely aprons to cover her when she is eating. We've been doing this so long I forgot what it was like when we tried to help her with her fork and knife. She handles the spoon just fine, still. Why spend the extra money for a gadget when, if she can use a spoon, the issue is resolved.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you, I've suggested this to dad. I think we'll stick with the spoon and abandon trying to use the knife and fork. Jeany, dad has some bowls very similar to that but without the writing! And thanks for taking the teouble to post those links Jessbow. Pamann, no matter what the issue, someone else has almost always experienced it too, haven't they? That's the beauty of TP. It makes me feel less alone.

Thank you to all - hope I haven't missed anyone out.

Last edited:

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
For a while mum had a problem using a fork and knife, so I gave her a spoon and changed her plate to one that was a bit deeper and a suction pad on the bottom (which didn't always work) so she could scoop things onto it or use her fingers which she did from time to time. When she went to respite for a week she started using a knife and fork again, they said that people with Alzheimer's copy things from other people so when she saw the other residents using knife and fork she did as well. When she came home she continued to use a knife and fork or a spoon if it was soup/ pudding and her plate went back to a normal one.
Can I ask if you all eat together or separately, if it is the latter maybe you could try all together and see what develops?

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thanks Carabosse. She lives with my dad and they eat together. She doesn't seem to be able to copy dad unfortunately, but I'm glad that this worked for your mum.

Today mam has been in the care home and ate her lunchtime fish and chips with a spoon. We're just glad she ate the meal as eating is another issue in itself - getting her to eat anything at all lately is a big problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar