Toilet

gmama

Nov 25, 2014
South Lanarkshire
I am new to this so please forgive me if I get thing's wrong. My mother in law has now wet her bedroom floor in the middle of the night several times in the last two month's. she does have an en suite. I do not know what to do about this. I will be grateful for any advice .

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Is the en suite light on so she can she where it is, possible she is getting confused in the dark. She may be drinking too much before going to bed, this was my mums problem, hardly drank during the day and then suddenly around 4pm started making and drinking lots of tea.

Emomam

Nov 13, 2014
Yorkshire
Night time

The night time is always when mum seems to lose all her urine so she wears maxi pants. Might be time to start using them as its easier to deal with than a wet carpet. It seems to be part of the natural progression of dementia. Loss of bladder control or feeling when they need to go to the toilet or just not getting there on time.

gmama

Nov 25, 2014
South Lanarkshire
Thank you

Is the en suite light on so she can she where it is, possible she is getting confused in the dark. She may be drinking too much before going to bed, this was my mums problem, hardly drank during the day and then suddenly around 4pm started making and drinking lots of tea.

She is a proper Tea jenny and it is going to be very difficult to get her to stop drinking as much as she does. I will try and get her to keep the light on as it may help, only problem is it might give her a fright if she wakes up in the night and the light is on as she will forget it was her who left it on in the first place. But still I will try anything. Thank's again.:)

gmama

Nov 25, 2014
South Lanarkshire
Thank you

The night time is always when mum seems to lose all her urine so she wears maxi pants. Might be time to start using them as its easier to deal with than a wet carpet. It seems to be part of the natural progression of dementia. Loss of bladder control or feeling when they need to go to the toilet or just not getting there on time.

I don't know why I never thought of this. Shopping trip for today. :)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I would also suggest you think of getting rid of the carpet as it will smell. Karndean tiles are pricey but are not cold underfoot like other tiles and of course wash easily unlike laminated boards.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Get an assessment by the continence service as they can supply you with pads and other things. They are expensive! A simple night light might be a good idea too and better than just leaving the light on. Invest in a waterproof mattress and maybe a kylie sheet as they draw moisture away from the skin. Make sure you do not dehydrate her as fluids are essential in combating UTIs.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Give less liquids is less obvious way

Give half cup of tea or smaller cup closer to bed. Every little helps.

Purely

Jul 30, 2012
I find the 'pull up' style of pads works best as they operate like normal knickers rather than a pad getting in the way when the person wants to use the loo.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy