How do I manage my sadness?

ChloeE

Oct 9, 2014
I know I am very lucky compared with so many people who post to Talking Point. My mother is being well cared for in an good home (she has been there for 2 years). She has severe short term memory loss following a stroke and has withdrawn almost completely into herself. She still knows who I am and I can have completely normal conversations with her. I see her every other weekend and she doesn't call me much in between. If I ask her a direct question she says she is fine but misses my father who died 2 years ago. She is 80.

Yet every time I visit her I am miserable for days afterwards. My question is: how do I get to grips with the emotional impact this is having on me?

When I am there she sits on her bed or lies down with her back to me, sleeping or whimpering quietly. She whimpers a lot. She has a lost and frightened expression sometimes. She looks and smells dreadful (the staff do their best but she doesn't make it easy for them).

This is my mother who taught me how to wipe my own bottom but who gave up doing it herself two years ago.

This is my mother who would not leave the house without full makeup, who could make heads turn with her beauty and elegance when she entered a room, now covered in food stains and looking shockingly bad.

This is my mother who says she can't see but then says she doesn't like to wear her glasses because she is "vain."

This is my mother who could do the Times cryptic crossword in minutes, unable to remember more than a couple of things about my father, apart from the fact that she misses him very much.

This is my mother who cannot be left alone with her male carers because she has a tendency to molest them.

Some minutes we can have a completely normal conversation - she is the intelligent and funny woman who brought me up. She really can still beat me at scrabble. We sit and sing the songs from Shakespeare she taught me when I was little. Then the next minute she is like a frightened child clinging to me for comfort.

I guess I just wanted to ask: how do you cope? I guess I am in here for the long term and I need to get to a place of equanimity about this. Frankly at the moment I seem to be suffering more than Mum is, which is daft.

Please let me know how you cope. Has anyone read any good books which would help me to make sense of how Mum is behaving and how I am reacting to it? Or should I stop trying to make sense of it? How do I/ should I try to get back in control of my own feelings?

ChloeE

cathykins

Aug 6, 2014
I know I am very lucky compared with so many people who post to Talking Point. My mother is being well cared for in an good home (she has been there for 2 years). She has severe short term memory loss following a stroke and has withdrawn almost completely into herself. She still knows who I am and I can have completely normal conversations with her. I see her every other weekend and she doesn't call me much in between. If I ask her a direct question she says she is fine but misses my father who died 2 years ago. She is 80.

Yet every time I visit her I am miserable for days afterwards. My question is: how do I get to grips with the emotional impact this is having on me?

When I am there she sits on her bed or lies down with her back to me, sleeping or whimpering quietly. She whimpers a lot. She has a lost and frightened expression sometimes. She looks and smells dreadful (the staff do their best but she doesn't make it easy for them).

This is my mother who taught me how to wipe my own bottom but who gave up doing it herself two years ago.

This is my mother who would not leave the house without full makeup, who could make heads turn with her beauty and elegance when she entered a room, now covered in food stains and looking shockingly bad.

This is my mother who says she can't see but then says she doesn't like to wear her glasses because she is "vain."

This is my mother who could do the Times cryptic crossword in minutes, unable to remember more than a couple of things about my father, apart from the fact that she misses him very much.

This is my mother who cannot be left alone with her male carers because she has a tendency to molest them.

Some minutes we can have a completely normal conversation - she is the intelligent and funny woman who brought me up. She really can still beat me at scrabble. We sit and sing the songs from Shakespeare she taught me when I was little. Then the next minute she is like a frightened child clinging to me for comfort.

I guess I just wanted to ask: how do you cope? I guess I am in here for the long term and I need to get to a place of equanimity about this. Frankly at the moment I seem to be suffering more than Mum is, which is daft.

Please let me know how you cope. Has anyone read any good books which would help me to make sense of how Mum is behaving and how I am reacting to it? Or should I stop trying to make sense of it? How do I/ should I try to get back in control of my own feelings?

ChloeE

Oh Chloe, my heart goes out to you. I relate so much to what you have said, and sometimes find it so hard that the only thing to do is weep at the sadness of the situation. Like you, at times Mum sounds almost normal, but at others she alternates between being frightened and confused, to angry and aggressive (she never showed any aggression before the onset of her dementia).

You will read lots of similar posts on here, and everyone copes in their own unique way. For some, it is enough to come on this site and share feelings with people who are going through the same thing. If you feel you need more than that, it might be worth talking to your doctor about your feelings, especially if they are interfering with your day to day life. He may be able to offer counselling or other treatment if he feels you are depressed.

There are several good books on the market which give an insight into Dementia/Alzheimers. I found "The 36 hour day" by Nancy L Mace very helpful in knowing what to expect as the condition advances. There are a lot of useful links to reading material on this site.

All I can say is that every person on here can relate to you, and will support you and give advice where needed.

Sending you huge hugs

Cathy

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada

I'm so sorry for you. I found the first couple of years very hard. My mother was diagnosed just after she turned 64 and she's turning 78 next week. and we have had a bumpy, rocky and interesting journey.

I don't think I cope so much as I endure. I don't know how to make sense of dementia, except to say that i DO NOT think things like this happen for a reason. They just happen. But time helps us learn to endure.

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
I would say concentrate on the good times you have with your mum and just endure the rest of the time. Not much help, sorry I can't think of anything better.

Last edited:

supporter1

Sep 14, 2012
Ultimately it is about enduring as has been said before ... I see reflections of my own experience in you post :(

I have not found an answer and do not think I will ever be able to accept the situation as it is a b***** nightmare for carers as well as the person afflicted by this horrible disease process.

Can we change things .. no ! it is in reality like being passive passenger on a horrible journey. Main thing is to make sure you keep living your life , try not to get bogged down . It will creep in sometimes .. the real deep sadness that is, but you have only one life so take care of yourself and find good things away from those horrible experiences if you can. Do not let it dominate you then the disease wins .

ChloeE

Oct 9, 2014
Thank you so very much. It really helps me to know you are there and we are not all alone.

With love
ChloeE