Where to go from here....

linda a

Jun 13, 2006
suffolk
Going into Care

My what a mine field ,
Did dad get into the care home ? I came back on here for some advice my husband is in respite at the moment and will be home Monday ,we have a 17 year age gab so i still have a few years to work i care for him with carers comming in twice a day to shower him and dress and undress him ,
although things are okish and im copping with respite as we have a teanage daughter studying for A leavels its very hard at times stress !!!!!!!!!!!,
My worry is if i cant cope and he has to go into ful time care ? we have a small morgage as we needed to do a few changes to the house,
Any way does any one know could i sell use all the house sale to down size and clear the morgage or do i have to stay here and try to find the morgage its until im 70 years old oh im 54 by the way and the house is in joint names as is the morgage,
but i would find it hard to run the house and pay a morgage on one income im not a high flyer,
We dont have savings to talk about ,
husband is 71 and had demeture lewy body ,
has any one else had these problems ?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Linda - if you sold the house to downsize after your husband was placed in a residential or nursing home, the general rule is that 1/2 of the total realised profits (after expenses and paying off the mortgage) would be put in your husbands "pot" to pay for care. Now that doen't have to happen - if by doing this you would essentially be left homeless, the local authority is more likely to allow you to retain more than a 50% share. However, and I hesitate to make this suggestion without knowing all your circumstances, if you moved house before placing your husband then also theoretically, the hosue would be a disregarded asset because you had both lived in it and you were still living in it. I do not know, however, if there is a minimum period for occupation before this disregard would be applicable

Edited to add - I've had a look through CRAG and I can't find anything about the minimum period that would be required for you both to be in residence before the property would be disregarded. You would have to careful about this - it is skirting the "deprivation of assets" rules and I would strongly suggest you get competent professional advice before hanging your hat on it.

Last edited:

linda a

Jun 13, 2006
suffolk
Going into care ???

Thankyou for your reply ,
the house hear has been changed for husbands use so it would be hard to move from with him ,yes im going to have to sort so many things out arnt i it makes you feel so ill all the worry ,
perhaps im just going to have to do all the care myself and get in as much help as i can when and where needed ,but that and working full time is hard ,
and i do know im not the only one its so very hard for us all the stress of trying to do it all on your own , i miss my husband so very much

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Linda,

Why don`t you get some legal advice about your house? CAB will give you an appointment with a solicitor and then you can discuss your rights in detail and at least know the advice you are being given is correct.

Once you know exactly where you stand, you will know how to move on.

I can appreciate how hard it is for you. I really don`t know how I would manage if I were still at working age and had a young daughter at home too.

Take care xx

linda a

Jun 13, 2006
suffolk
Thankyou

I have not looked on here for a while yes im still in the same place worring ,i will make the appointment to go see CAB its new years eve and i have to start the new year with sorting things out there has been a lot of stress as you all know just looking after someone with Demture its hard enough with out all the worry of perhaps loosing your home or paying bills and keeping up with work ,and i know im not the only one just by reading on here its so very sad and hard for most of us ,
Id like to wish everyone a good new year :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbH