xmas present for later stage od alzheimers

Weary

Aug 1, 2014
MIL is in the latter stages of dementia. She talks non stop but its all rubbish - cant answer a question ...sometimes there is vague recogniction but communication is hard as we just have to listen to excessive talking that makes no sense at all. She is wheelchair bound.

She loves to fiddle with things like folding and refolding the blanket round her so was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good xmas presnt for her?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Since she likes folding things now, perhaps a nice lap blanket/ afghan that she can have on her lap and fold? There are some lovely and inexpensive throws that are so soft.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi, you can buy activity blankets for dementia or you could make one yourself.

I made one and took a pocket off an old pair of jeans and put a handkerchief in the pocket. I took the zip out too and sewed it to the blanket so that it could be unzipped and zipped back up. A couple of shoe laces ( trainer type) were sewn on for twiddling with or tying. Buttons, bits of crinkly material or furry materials, there are loads of bits and pieces you can add.

The blanket can be on their lap as a comfort and something to hold their attention for a while. Memory books are good too and easy to put together as is a box of small odds and ends. An old purse, old bank cards, buttons, small toy cars, laminated pictures of household objects, again so easy to do. People living with dementia seem to like to fiddle and fold and unfold.

Jay

thats life

Jan 2, 2013
Northumberland
I have just bought my mother a cat and puppy, perfect pets from the Alzheimer's site she sits and fiddles with them feels there fur feet and tails, although I don't think she recognizes them as even toy animals.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I have just bought my mother a cat and puppy, perfect pets from the Alzheimer's site she sits and fiddles with them feels there fur feet and tails, although I don't think she recognizes them as even toy animals.
Have you got a link? I have just been looking at the shop and can't find them?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
MIL is in the latter stages of dementia. She talks non stop but its all rubbish - cant answer a question ...sometimes there is vague recogniction but communication is hard as we just have to listen to excessive talking that makes no sense at all. She is wheelchair bound.

She loves to fiddle with things like folding and refolding the blanket round her so was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good xmas presnt for her?

I found these twiddle muffs they are quite expensive but look good
http://www.alzproducts.co.uk/twiddle-muff-pup-cat-sport.html

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
blanket

household objects, again so easy to do. People living with dementia seem to like to fiddle and fold and unfold.

Jay[/QUOTE]

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
OH is playing with some kind of puzzle at the Day Centre, it's just multi-coloured small needle-shaped objects he sticks into a white plastic thing (can't really describe it any better), so am just trying to find out where to get this for Christmas. Activity blankets sound like a good idea too!

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
blanket

household objects, again so easy to do. People living with dementia seem to like to fiddle and fold and unfold.

Jay
[/QUOTE]

Thanks jay I have just ordered a dementia blanket for my wife June, its for xmas but who knows I will let her have the blanket as soon as possible, anyway thanks again Tony pins