Will we end up homeless?

opaline

Nov 13, 2014
Hi, this is my first time posting on here although I have been reading other posts for a few days. Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers in July. She owns her own house in Scotland. My problem is that myself (54) and my daughter (24) live with her and have always done so. I never left home then became a single parent so it's always been just the three of us as my dad died 27 years ago.

So, if Mum should ever need to go into either a nursing or a care home would the house have to be sold? Does anyone have any experience of this situation?

My other problem is she doesn't know she has dementia. I'm worried that she would just give up as her mother did before her. Thanks in anticipation.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Not 100% sure but something is niggling in the back of my mind that if you have never "left home" or owned your own home, then despite your age (ie under 60 I think) I don't think they can make you homeless and force you to move.

Hopefully someone who knows "the rules" will be along to give you clearer advice

Alternatively you could contact CAB - citizens advice or the Alzheimer's support group for your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Aitchbee

Nov 3, 2013
Not too sure of my facts, particularly as I live in England. I think a property can be disregarded by the council if the house is lived in by a relative and it is their home but to qualify you would need to be over the age of 60. I think councils can also use their discretion to disregard a property in circumstances such as yours but how likely that would be in these financially difficult times I don't know. My sister and I are in a similar position to you, living in Mum's home for the past 5 years and with no property of our own. Mum is currently in a nursing home but fees are paid for through CHC. Others on here may have more information. Sorry to be so vague

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I have deleted this post as I failed to read the OP properly and will try again. Sorry

Last edited:

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hi, this is my first time posting on here although I have been reading other posts for a few days. Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers in July. She owns her own house in Scotland. My problem is that myself (54) and my daughter (24) live with her and have always done so. I never left home then became a single parent so it's always been just the three of us as my dad died 27 years ago.

So, if Mum should ever need to go into either a nursing or a care home would the house have to be sold? Does anyone have any experience of this situation?

Hi opaline,

Sorry to hear about your Mum. I live in England but have had a quick read of the rules in Scotland and with regard to the property they appear to be the same.

With the details you have given it is likely that your Mum's house would be regarded as her capital if she were to go into care.

In certain circumstances the house is disregarded by the state and the link below outlines them quite well. If your circumstances do not match any of the exceptions you can apply for a discretionary disregard where a LA lawyer makes the decision and since both you and your daughter have lived there all your life there is a good chance of success.

However (there is no easy way to put this:)) because of your age the property will be automatically disregarded if you are still living in it when you become 60.:eek:

So the most likely thing to happen would be that your Mum enters into a deferred payment agreement with the LA authority who then pay for her care but require the money paying back on either her death or the sale of the property. If your Mum went into care today then that would mean less than 6 years of fees. Then depending on any other assets that she may have would determine if the LA then help with funding.

If at the present time there is no indication that your Mum will need to go into care in the near future then I strongly suggest you and your Mum enlist the services of a lawyer immediately to discus the possibility of becoming joint owners and to advise you around the thorny issue of Deprivation of Capital.

This site seems to cover most things you need to know.
http://www.careinfoscotland.co.uk/h...paying-care-home-fees/property-disregard.aspx

Also, if not already done, consider getting Power of Attorney to help with your Mum's affairs in the future.
http://www.publicguardian-scotland.gov.uk/whatwedo/power_of_attorney.asp

I wish you and your Mum well.:)

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct

My other problem is she doesn't know she has dementia. I'm worried that she would just give up as her mother did before her. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi!..was the house left to your mum or yourself and your mum?..the reason for asking is that depending on how it was registered at the land registry and then being bequeathed..made a difference when we did wills and power of attorney...if you get an opportunity to go on an alz society carers course..generally they have a legal speaker ..who gives advice..can be valuable..not sure if ive been able to be any help at all..but if there is a legal loop hole..I hope you are able to take advantage of it..I best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

thats life

Jan 2, 2013
Northumberland
Normally the property would be disregarded if you are over 60, also if it has always been your home, or if you have been living there as the main carer,

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan