Cataract Operation needed

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Mum is to have a cataract op shortly 9/12/2014 The consultant asked me to 'google aftercare' It all seems straight forward, but could anybody who has had experience of this aftercare give me the benefit of their experience in a elderly patient with Alz please. eg timescales, length of recovery, what she can and cant do for how long?
We live in the same house so I will be caring with some help from OH. Mum has early onset but memory shot. Many thanks :)
We have Christmas Day Dinner booked and I really don't know if Mum will be okay to go.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Mum is to have a cataract op shortly 9/12/2014 The consultant asked me to 'google aftercare' It all seems straight forward, but could anybody who has had experience of this aftercare give me the benefit of their experience in a elderly patient with Alz please. eg timescales, length of recovery, what she can and cant do for how long?
We live in the same house so I will be caring with some help from OH. Mum has early onset but memory shot. Many thanks :)
We have Christmas Day Dinner booked and I really don't know if Mum will be okay to go.

All I can say to you is my father had a cataract op on the 12th December and went to the hotel for Christmas lunch and was dog walking on Christmas day.
He did not have other health problems at the time.
At some point I am likely to need a cataract op but they are not causing any problems and even though I have private medical insurance the doctor says as there is risk with all operations why take a risk?.
I am checked once a year on the NHS.

William

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello velocity

The most important thing to remember following cataract surgery is maintaining good Hygiene and correct timing of the drops.

I don`t know if things have changed since I had mine done in 2002 but I was encouraged to wear an eye patch when in bed to stop any infection. This may be a worry with someone with dementia.

I hope all goes well.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Velocity
I had a cataract op several yrs ago, so some of the things mentioned below, may be out of date
I had to wear an eye patch till the next day when I had a post op check.
Had to wear a eye patch for bed
eye drops four times a day
Not allowed to bend over for a week
or carry heavy items for a while
and not rub or touch my eye till it healed
Your vision can be a bit odd for a week or two, the day after my op I was really long sighted in that eye, the next day short sighted. and so on
Their can be pain afterwards
Do you think mum would be able to lie still for the duration of the op.
I think it best that you discuss everything with the eye consultant mum is under

Yes their can be problems with any operation, it happened with mum's cataract surgery but mostly all goes well , because of mum's problem I went private and was very happy with my treatment. it improved my vision in that eye so much I now don't have to wear distance glasses.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I'm sorry but......
The consultant asked me to 'google ftercare
:eek:???
I hope this was after he had explained it thoroughly to you.
I declined permission for Mum to have her cataract operated on. She has extremely limited vision ( registered blind) and having the op was likely to create more problems than cure any. She certainly could not comply with the aftercare and even though she lives in a Care Home, her hygiene leaves a lot to be desired. Her consultant felt it was too much for her and agreed that she should not have it.

I suggest that you look at your Mum's full state of health and if she is fit and active and if you can manage the aftercare, then go for it....but if she is frail and failing like my Mum, think twice before deciding.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006

My mother does not have Alzheimer's but has had cataract operations in both eyes. The procedure itself is quite simple but does rely on the patient being able to follow instructions.

The aftercare was straightforward, they put an eyeshield over the affected eye, which has to be worn for the rest of that day and then over the following few nights. This is to stop the person either rolling onto the eye or rubbing it whilst asleep. It doesn't have to be worn during the day, except just after the operation.

It is very important to correctly give the eyedrops. There are two lots: one is an anti-inflammatory, the other is an antibiotic. They are different colours. They have different timings but the most often is during the first week or so with four times a day, they can be given together.

It is important to not rub the eye even though it may feel irritated or sore. It is also important to wash hands etc before giving the drops.

My mum did have a bit of irritation and was "sorely tempted" to give a good rub but knew she could not! That is probably the difficult with Alzheimer's.

I believe there are other medications they can use if the irritation is severe - it should not be. Most people have the surgery without any incident.

Probably the easiest way is to ask the consultant, or wherever they are proposing to do the procedure, and ask them to give you the aftercare leaflet before you decide whether to go ahead. The leaflet will explain everything you have to do..amd what not to do.

The aftercare is really very simple...except for someone with dementa, who will probably ignore or forget any instructions not to rub even if the eye gets itchy or sore.

Last edited:

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Hi Thank you all for your help it is all very much appreciated. The Consultant thinks Mum will be capable for the operation and that I should be able to give the aftercare, He did say that if when she arrived there were any doubts on the day they would not proceed as different people often have a different reaction when they arrive. He re-assured us that he had dealt with other people who had had AD. Never the less we are obviously nervous::( I am also of the opinion not to want unnecessary surgery. But cataracts do only get worse and apart from alz although having had a by-pass, some kidney trouble she is reasonably well and strong, but she hasn't been steady on her feet at times and it could be the cataracts as they are forming from the lower part of her eyes.
I am worried she is going to rub her eyes, and Hygiene, so I will be scrubbing everything in sight.
Thank you all for your valued help xxx:)

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
Funnily enough my husband had his cataract done on Monday.... He is only 57 with no dementia etc.

Although he was dreading it for weeks before, he was dropped at hospital at 8.15am, I waited for him as too far to go home.
At 10 he called me to say .......all done he was just waiting for his drops.

He said it was painless, and the surgeon an nurses reassured him and were very kind. He had to keep patch on until following morning....his eye was a little sticky and bloody, he took paracetamol for slight pain. We even went out and had lunch from hospital.

Next morning I gently bathed the gunk off his eye, and put his drops in, at night he wears patch, to protect it from scratching or rubbing. He has to avoid heavy lifting, and is taking care.

He is raving about his vision, and is amazed how bright everything is.... And his vision had only deteriorated by 25%, so that seems really positive.

He said it was the thought that was far far worse than actual op.

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Hello DianeW
Well really positive thank you very much for taking the time to tell me, that's great this has given me a lot of confidence. Regards to your husband for a good recovery :) xx

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
The operation itself is very simple now - at one time it was quite a procedure, and done under a general. The modern technique is done under a local (this is simple eyedrops, which are applied by a nurse when you arrive, there are three or four lots, including ones that make your pupils dilate as this makes the surgeons work easier)

The make a tiny incision, then use a special ultrasonice probe that liquifies the eye's natural lens, which is then sucked out. The artificial lens is then inserted, it unfolds and anchors itself once inside the eye.

There are no stitches, as the eye seals off the wound naturally, very quickly.

It is probably a good idea to stay indoors espescially if it is sunny, as the eye remains dilated for some time and brigh tlight can be uncomfortable for the rest of the day.

The eyeshield stays for that day, and every night for a few days/a week. If you think rubbing will be an issue, it can be left on but you will have to remove it for each lot of drops. Four times daily for a week (or maybe two, I forget).

The drops can make the eye sticky, you can use a cotton bud stick dipped in BOILED (sterile) water to clean off any "goo".

You just keep a watch for signs of infection, usually the discomfort (if any) fades after a day or two.

You can bend or carr heavy things for a while, as they both increase the pressure inside the eye, potentially this could cause the incision to open up and even allow the content sof the eye to escape or cause the lens implant to come loose.

During the operation the attending nurses can hold hands/head if it is really necessary.

annie h

Jun 1, 2013
Hi Velocity,
I don't think anyone who's responded actually had experience of anyone having cataract op with advanced dementia so this may be helpful info to add to what others have said.

My mum had pretty advanced AD with zero short-term memory when she had hers done. She was still living in her flat - just - with a lot of support. Consultant was fine about doing the op. The hospital was concerned. It was done at a private hospital under NHS contract. They tried to get rid of us but I wasn't prepared to let them pick and choose their NHS patients. I don't know whether it would have been the same if it had been at our local NHS trust - but we would have had to wait for months longer. The hospital were concerned about how mum would react in theatre and about the aftercare. In order to ensure no problems would arise it was agreed that I would accompany mum to theatre and be just outside during the op in case she became agitated (in fact she was fine both times). And we booked for her to go into respite care for the first week after the op which was a week when there were the greatest number/frequency of eye drops required. I was extremely relieved we'd arranged the respite care as it meant there were care staff on hand 24 hours a day to prevent mum from fiddling with her eyes. That was the worst - she was trying to remove the eye patch within minutes of leaving theatre, and had no idea why she had to have it on. I think they put the eye patch back on at night for a few days. The biggest risk is obviously that there will be an infection or some damage because they can't remember not to touch the eye. After the first week she went back home and the eye drops were managed between me and carers. I think they also provided an extra bottle of eye drops for the day centre to hold so they could do any timed for when she was there.

The second op was done about 6 or 8 weeks after the first and we did exactly the same the second time - I was well thrilled when the consultant told her that her sight was now well enough to drive but fortunately she forgot immediately!

I was extremely glad she'd had the operations. A few months later her health started to deteriorate rapidly and the last eighteen months of her life would have been that much more miserable if her sight had been as bad as it was before the cataracts were done. So it was hard work and at the time quite a lot of worry, but it proved to be well worth it.

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Thank you for taking the time Nebiroth and Annieh for your experiences and advice they have been very helpful to me giving me confidence to advise Mum to have this surgery.
Once again thank you all. xx :)

Darren 48

Sep 4, 2014
Lincoln uk
Hi velocity me and my wife look after my 83 yr old mother who has AZ .i am 49 tomorrow and back in February this year I had a cataracht op on my right eye which went wrong as the lense had slipped so had to have it redone in April then I had a detached retina op done at queens medical nottingham which was a success all done under local anaesthetic .Having my eyes messed with was my worse nightmare ever but after three ops I can face anything now medical science is brilliant.

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Hi Darren I am sorry to hear of the trouble you have experienced, but really happy you have been successfully treated and are fine now thank you for your experience and take care :)

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Hi everybody who gave me the benefit of their experience and a big thanks once again, I cant express how helpful you all were. Mum had her operation for one of her eyes, so far so good, she is now waiting for the date for her next op, yes it was hard for her but she is really enjoying being able to see so much better, her sight is also up to being able to drive if she had a licence. Thanks once again.:)

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington

I can! Mum had cateract op. Operation takes just 30 minutes. They chatted to her all the time to distract her as she has AD and to keep her as still as is possible. Its day surgery by the way. She came out with eye patch and they give you a plastic patch to put on at night time only just for a week. They gave her tea and biscuits. Left soon after with 2 lots of eye drops, one is anti inflammatory, the other antibiotic which you have to keep in fridge. One drop of each four times a day for 3 weeks. Mum was difficult, took patch off almost immediately, wouldn't keep night patch on at all. A pain with doing the eye drops all the time. However she went back to out-patients 3 weeks later and op was complete success. Only prob was that she needed left eye done as well, but doc asked her,not me, and she said no,so all she does now is moan about her left eye, when she has no recollection that it was her that told the surgeon she didn't want it done. Another case of doctors not asking the carer but asking the person with dementia what they want. Hope this helps Sue

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
My father who is 83 had his first eye done in November.

The eye drop aftercare is important but easy

He did not complain of any pain or even irritation afterwards

He didnt rub his eye at all.

Our consultant said they dont use eye patches any more, although we did have a try but dad just kept taking it off since he could not remember why it was there

Two weeks later he had the vision tested and he could see extremely well, since his vision got corrected at the same time. So now with that eye he can read right down to the "next to bottom" line on the eye chart without glasses.

He will need glasses in future only for reading.

Go for it, imagine life with blurry sight when you could see clearly.