Gardening helps with Dementia - Really?

gardenerb

Mar 7, 2014
Hertfordshire - Broxbourne
OK I know this is likely to be me getting irritated but this morning I see an article that states that gardening can help with combating or preventing Dementia, Alzheimers et al.

Well that's handy. My wife was my deputy (I Know) Head Gardener for 10 years. Did it help?

The article also continues that a healthy lifestyle also helps. We are walkers, or were. Not easy walkers but 7 sisters South Downs and Beach for 5 miles walkers. If you know the area you know it isn't to easy. So where do the GP's get there information. If it was a funded research project then wasted and the money should go back to real research. No doubt my position of watching Jennifer enter the final stages of FTD makes my view a little jaundiced. Just irritating.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Yes, Allen my husband who has vascular dementia, was a landscape gardener for a number of years,

So irritating all these theories,

They are grasping at straws and wasting money in the process,

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Yes I agree-we are treated like idiots. If anyone of these researchers had seen my Husband landscape our previous garden which was steeply terraced they would have stopped the research pretty pronto.

:mad:

sundaygirl

Sep 21, 2014
I'm sick and tired of reports that dementia can be prevented by doing crosswords regularly, taking exercise, eating healthily etc. If that was truly the case, surely my dad wouldn't have succumbed to it.

The Daily Mail newspaper is the worst offender and the Daily Express is nearly as bad.

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
I don't think it was actually research that came up with it ie "Gardening can prevent Alzheimers" Seems someone had a "light bulb" moment and we all know how the "Media" twist something to make it more sensational!

What would have helped would have been "Gardening can help some of those with Dementia" I know it has helped me, as I make myself plan the seasons ie go through bulbs and planning ahead for say spring, it helps me look forward helps to think I have a future. those of us who did garden can still get a thrill of looking through the catalogue that drops through our letter box, its familiar, comforting. Chances are that some things have to change, I have had to cut back on the amount of containers I have but so long as I have some to fill each season then I can plan for them! I can and mostly do totally forget what is planted in what but I still enjoy waiting and watching things grow, and some times enthusing over something I had totally forgotten I had planted :) so NO gardening can not prevent Alzheimers but continuing to take an interest in a much loved pastime for as long as possible can help when you have it and can continue in how ever small a part in growing, something :)

Ladybird23

Feb 28, 2014
Grrrrrrr!!!! My Dad did all the healthy eating, not smoking, drank in moderation, did puzzles, played scrabble etc with my Mum most nights, gardened, went walking every Wednesday and that was 10 -15 miles over hills, dales and moors, and he still got diabetes and Alzheimer's............

So lets see this nonsense stopped and have more research into Dementia, and have more coverage like cancer does.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Two things occur to me. One is about statistics. If it was proved beyond reasonable doubt that gardening helped some people to avoid developing dementia (and I'm sure it hasn't been so proved) there could still be many people who have gardened all their lives who would develop dementia. So this, and all the other research that certain newspapers constantly regurgitate, could still be useful. But, then again, no single individual could be sure that it would help them. The same arguments would apply to many of the things that are recommended for avoiding cancer or heart disease. In the end, if you get some benefit from these activities that's great, but I don't suppose many people actually engage in activities just because they've read these media stories.

Secondly, Jeany 73's contribution to this thread (above) reminds us that many things, gardening for instance, can help some people with dementia.

emwmarine

Nov 22, 2011
I have spent quite a while looking at all the white papers that have been produced recently regarding varous links between lifestyle and dementia and posted elsewhere on here about some questions that it raises.

From what I gather and have read it seems that there is evidence that a healthy diet, exercise and building intellectual reserve through activity or higher education shows that across a very large number of people in various studies that the age of onset of dementia - and its progression is later than in control groups by several years.

Equally, there seems to be a consistent link in studies between depression and an increased chance of dementia developing.

However, in all the reading I have done I don't think that anyone has worked out whether all this is just correlation or cause / effect.

e.g. Is the depression an early symptom of dementia or does having depression trigger, or accelerate, dementia?

Is the absence of elements of a healthy lifestyle an early sympton of dementia, or does a healthy lifestyle prevent or delay the onset of dementia?

From the extensive 'google-ing' I have done I haven't seen a study that has managed to decide whether these are just correlations or cause/effect actions.

So those who lead a very healthy lifestyle (and gardening is a good exercise) and have a 'high cognitive reserve' are, over a large number of people, likely to develop dementia later - but no-one knows if the absence of a healthy lifestyle is just a result of the early onset of the disease.

In the absence of any really effective treatments it does, thoughm, seem to make sense for those with a family history of dementia, or worried about it, to adopt or extend a healthy lifestyle.

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
I was told that I had had my Alzheimer's at least 5/6yrs before diagnosis. Looking back I guess that's true but in stead of seeking medical help sooner I simply adapted to my memory loss, I don't believe I deliberately ignored it but what I did do was to become very sure that if I didn't keep certain things ie Keys, Handbag, meds in one certain place and routinely did so then I would not be able to find them! I actually proved that one day when frantically looking for my keys for the biggest part of a day locked in my flat and unable to get out! I found them when I had given up looking and tired and exhausted decided to shower and at least make myself calm down and comfortable, then found them in my dressing gown pocket!!!!!

Slowly over the years I adapted even more by having strict routines for taking meds etc, its only in the last 3yrs that that is paying off big time, for now anyway!!

Difficult to believe how I stupidly did not go to a doctor long before I did!! Mostly because I would forget when I went because of other long term ill health to mention my poor memory!!! Or was thinking of my garden! :D

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
As a daughter with a mum who has dementia one thing is for sure, gardening helps me and mum likes to sit in the garden (on warm days ofcourse) directing operations. Seed catalogues are a favourite read for both of us. Long live gardening!:)

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
A healthy lifestyle gives you a better chance of living a long, healthy life but not a guarantee, as we all know.

in all the reading I have done I don't think that anyone has worked out whether all this is just correlation or cause / effect.

Vascular dementia may be slightly different from other forms of dementia? Reducing future damage depends on keeping blood pressure normal so maybe it's possible to prevent much of the initial damage of VasD if you have always controlled your blood pressure through exercise, weight control, eating sensibly and the rest of it.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
My OH loves gardening and even though it takes him a long time it keeps him mentally and physically fit and active . He was diagnosed with AD and Vascular 3 years ago but deciding on what to plant and tending to Greenhouse and Pond does his general well being good

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I was told that I had had my Alzheimer's at least 5/6yrs before diagnosis. Looking back I guess that's true but in stead of seeking medical help sooner I simply adapted to my memory loss, I don't believe I deliberately ignored it but what I did do was to become very sure that if I didn't keep certain things ie Keys, Handbag, meds in one certain place and routinely did so then I would not be able to find them! I actually proved that one day when frantically looking for my keys for the biggest part of a day locked in my flat and unable to get out! I found them when I had given up looking and tired and exhausted decided to shower and at least make myself calm down and comfortable, then found them in my dressing gown pocket!!!!!

Slowly over the years I adapted even more by having strict routines for taking meds etc, its only in the last 3yrs that that is paying off big time, for now anyway!!

Difficult to believe how I stupidly did not go to a doctor long before I did!! Mostly because I would forget when I went because of other long term ill health to mention my poor memory!!! Or was thinking of my garden! :D

Jeanie, I don't know why you say that you were stupid not to go to a doctor long before you did. What you did instead was very sensible and worthwhile and as you say it's paying off big time.:)

If you'd gone to a doctor you may well have been 'fobbed off' which is what TP members often report. Even if you'd been taken seriously and diagnosed earlier, you may, or may not, have been given medication. You might have found that you had the unpleasant side-effects that are not uncommon. The medication may not have worked for you which, again, is not uncommon. If it worked it might have helped some of your symptoms a bit. It would not have affected the progression of the disease - no current medication is even claimed do that.

You helped yourself to deal effectively with the symptoms of the disease and that's a great thing to have done. No need for regrets.:)

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I do find gardening restorative

If I am angry weeding is both destructive and constructive when you look at the results ;)

I like being out in the sunshine it makes me feel better and being active releases endorphins which help lift your mood

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
Jeanie, I don't know why you say that you were stupid not to go to a doctor long before you did. What you did instead was very sensible and worthwhile and as you say it's paying off big time.:)

If you'd gone to a doctor you may well have been 'fobbed off' which is what TP members often report. Even if you'd been taken seriously and diagnosed earlier, you may, or may not, have been given medication. You might have found that you had the unpleasant side-effects that are not uncommon. The medication may not have worked for you which, again, is not uncommon. If it worked it might have helped some of your symptoms a bit. It would not have affected the progression of the disease - no current medication is even claimed do that.

You helped yourself to deal effectively with the symptoms of the disease and that's a great thing to have done. No need for regrets.:)

Many thanks for reply and seeing the positive in my actions. You are right re what happens to some of us when we do get round to seeking advice for our memory problems.
I was not ignored but the tests etc take a while and yes I was put on medication and suffered nasty side effects, but stuck with them and side effects have reduced and whilst it has helped, that is EBIXA I think perhaps I expected too much from it. I am not as far back with it than I was before I started on the EBIXA but the Alzheimers is still proceeding at a faster pace than hoped for. I have another memory test this week so will be better able too compare, thanks again Jeanie xx

Below is how I adapted to interacting with others in a different way to compensate for lack of memory, it may help someone else!

Have to confess I cheat even more. These days so I can still interact especially more on some forums than others! I put up pictures I like and hope my followers also like even tho I can no longer remember what they were seconds later! But when people favourite or retweet I get to enjoy them all over again I have a great interest in Politics but not able to put into words my views, so simply retweet others views that I agree with! Sometimes able to write what I hope is a witty comment, short and sweet. Seems to be working ok We PWD have to do our best to outwit this awful disease that we have been lumbered with for as long as possible, each time we do is a small victory for us. :D Jeanie xxxx