new observations in daves condition

dedicated doe

Aug 24, 2007
wirral merseyside
HI Again,hope you do not mind me getting in touch about Dave, over the past two weeks or so he has been showing some new signs of his VD at night he has been telling me that he feels odd and muddled [somehow he is still aware of this feeling] then he starts wandering around and stops at a wall and and its like he is picking something out of mid air then starts scratching at the wall, when i get hold of him he stops then i have to take him to sit down. he does not recall what has happened also he is getting upset mainly in the morning because he is not able to reconise the children or remember their names straight away,i do talk and comfort him all the time but to me his VD seems to be progressing quite quickly the doctors have told me this can happen to some sufferers and i would like to ask if any other carers have been in the same situation i would be thankfull for any replies. Best Wishes to you all DOE.

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Hi Doe. I think there is someone who posts on here has beneath their name a line that reads, (& I hope they forgive me for copying their quote) when you have seen 1 person with Alz you have seen 1 person Everyone seems to be different. My wife, as bad as she is now, still has moments when she is fully aware of what is happening to her. She can not do anything for herself but at times tells me tearfully she loves me and yesterday morning as I was dressing her she said where would she be without me.
She will often sit on the floor and "pick" at a little mark or pattern, or wander around the house and just pick something up and move it. Tea towel, chair, anything. The other day she just tipped the vase of flowers (and water) onto the floor and left them. I assume there was something she did not like.
So in the last few weeks there has been a quick decline in my wife, which others have noticed. What form of this disease she has I do not know. Never been told, or asked. I assume it is hereditary.
Just be there to offer comfort & suppport to your husband as in my experience they not only need it, they welcome it and love it.
I hope you can see a little pattern in my words
cris

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
dedicated doe said:
he has been telling me that he feels odd and muddled [somehow he is still aware of this feeling] DOE.

Dear Doe,

This is what my husband says to me at varying times now, during the day and night. He says his head feels funny/he feels dizzy/he thinks something is happening to his brain.

He doesn`t appear to `see` anything disturbing, he feels very cold and has to have the heat full on. It makes me wonder if this is because his circulation is affected, ie. circulation of blood to the brain and whole body circulation, but this is only me, trying to make sense of it.

It lasts about an hour or so, and I can tell by his face when it`s over. Whilst he`s going through it, his face is haunted. When he `comes back`, his eyes are focused and his face is relaxed.

But even the similarities are very different in the effects on our husbands, and that is why, if the medics are unable to give you a reason, or any medication to help, you can only play it by ear and be as supportive as possible.

It`s very upsetting to witness, I know.

Take care

Love xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear doe,
its like he is picking something out of mid air

Lionel is completely immobile, so is hoisted into his special chair for a few hours each day. Very often he will do as you describe above. So strange, so sudden. We can be sitting quietly together, when he starts, the constant plucking at thin air. I wonder what it is only he can see.

This strange illness. Take care now, love n'hugs,

dedicated doe

Aug 24, 2007
wirral merseyside
Your Comments To My Question

Many thanks to you all, it was of some comfort to know that i am not alone and Dave is doing these things like some others with this terrible illness, i give him lots of love and comfort even on the few good days he will have now and again,i have mentioned it to his doctor and cpn and all i get is, its what i have to expect, though no one can say if it happens more quickly in younger people,any way sorry if i get a little mixed up in writing i know what i feel but it can be hard to write down. Thanks Again God Bless you all D.DOE.

Sep 21, 2005
bradford
exactly the same happens to Trev

goodevening no its morning, cannot sleep for the itchy shingles argh, Trev displays exact symptoms you discribed Sylvia for about 1 or 2 hours suddenly becomes very cold, nose runs ,facial expression becomes agrimace , jaw line set, abit shaky on his feet, breathing pattern alters, cannot rest just paces moving everything, thought this was sundowning but can happen around 1 pm now, I just hate seeing him so distressed, when i cannot make it better no matter what do, so just have to let him be till it passes, have spoke about this repeatedly to doctors, nurses, cpn, consulant, they say never seen this before(wish they would only visit this forum) I feel it is something physical happening to them, not just bad mood, when this happened on assesment ward thought at last the professionals have witnessed this and may be able to offer him some help, but no, that just totally ignored it till i lost the plot and said why does no one ever listen to my observations they where very sypathetic to this losing the plot woman, but offered a tissue and did not see what i was seeing happen to trev, perhaps i am too close, but was a relief to see it is a symptom of this cruel illness, just sorry that you have to see your loved ones struggle in this way, also. I can deal with all the not so nice practical things, but seeing trev like this is killing me, but you all know that feeling i am sure. It really does help me alot reading your posts, just wish you all lived ay the end of my street
love to all Pam

Sep 21, 2005
bradford
No sylvia Trev is not Diabetic, only thing tests showed where that he has high cholesterol. Rheumatiod arthritus runs in his family, think maybe some connection, where the cells attack the brain instead of joints, but just one of my many attempts at finding an explanation, what do you do during these episodes to eliviate their distress, thanks Pam

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Just a short explanartion why I asked about diabetes.

At the Memory Clinic, it was suggested that one reason for these `lapses` might be diabetes. Most of my husband`s lapses occur around meal times, and there is a thought that the body has to work really hard to metabolize food when the circulation, digestive system, or metabolism isn`t 100%. This was a possible reason for the lapses.

I`m just wondering if the Rheumatoid Arthritis plays a part for Trev. It`s total guesswork from a non medic, so only `wondering`.

My husband is now used to these lapses and knows they will go eventually. He used to be very upset and frightened, now he sits quietly, sleeps or just rests until they go. He sometimes asks for a cold compress.

I used to get really upset by them but now I too have got used to them.

There is a difference in the two men though as Dhiren becimes sleepy, whilst Trev seems to become more agitated, so the comparisons might be worthless.

If the doctors don`t understand them how are we supposed to.

Take care
Love xx

towncrier

Oct 14, 2007
Lancashire
pacing, picking up , agitation etc

I mentioned to our doctor that when Jim gets confused while trying to make a tea and a coffee for instance, he gets a headache. I wondered if that is his perception of his own confused state, rather than an actual pain. Doctor suggested lavender facial wipes and I have been adding lavender essential oil to ordinary facial wipes, and letting him hold them against his forehead, or doing it for him, then wiping the tissue around the back of the neck, sometimes massaging his hands as well. This soothes him very quickly and he forgets that he had a headache. I do think it is important to give him little tasks to slow down the approach of complete helplessness. I gather that essential oils should be diluted with a carrier oil, rather than being applied directly to the skin, but two or three drops on the moist tissue has worked alright for Jim, but as a precaution I fold the tissue so that the oil is not on the surface. Lavender is well-known for its relaxing properties so I hope you will try it and find your patient benefits.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1