Advice needed please

Sibelius

Nov 11, 2014
My father-in-law was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in Spain, where he had been living for 13 years, and has now moved back to the UK and is staying with us. We were unaware of his deterioration, as he always sounded fine on the phone (the woman who was "caring" for him did not pass this information on to us for reasons best known to her). Consequently, it is too late to obtain POA and we need to apply to the Court of Protection.
He is in very poor health physically (very overweight, heart problems, kidney disease, prostate problems, arthritis, COPD....) - would this make him eligible for Continuing Care to cover some of the nursing home fees?
Failing this, and we need to sell his property - and this will presumably take some time as we have to go through the Court of Protection - does anyone have any advice on funding to bridge the gap until the sale?
And can we apply for attendance allowance before we are granted deputyship?
Thanks!

flossielime

May 8, 2014
Hi
I dont really have much idea about the questions but I know you can apply for attendance allowance for him. You do not need POA or anything to do that - if you get the form (or I think you can do it online) it will make sense.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hi and welcome...to answer in reverse, Yes you can apply for Attendance Allowance and indeed should because it can take a while before it gets paid. Make sure that you fill in the forms from a " worst Day" scenario and not an ordinary day...so if Dad needs care at night even if he does not actually get this care, specify it.
Now, have you had words with Social Services yet? You and FIL should have assessments for his needs and yours as a carer. They will be able to discuss the fees and costs of care at home or in a Care Home. They may be able to arrange for a deferred payment process, if FIL has to take up residential care before his property is sold or deputyship granted.

I'm sure others will be able to give you more advice....so for now Good Luck.

cf1611

Apr 16, 2014
My father-in-law was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in Spain, where he had been living for 13 years, and has now moved back to the UK and is staying with us. We were unaware of his deterioration, as he always sounded fine on the phone (the woman who was "caring" for him did not pass this information on to us for reasons best known to her). Consequently, it is too late to obtain POA and we need to apply to the Court of Protection.
He is in very poor health physically (very overweight, heart problems, kidney disease, prostate problems, arthritis, COPD....) - would this make him eligible for Continuing Care to cover some of the nursing home fees?
Failing this, and we need to sell his property - and this will presumably take some time as we have to go through the Court of Protection - does anyone have any advice on funding to bridge the gap until the sale?
And can we apply for attendance allowance before we are granted deputyship?
Thanks!
You should be able to apply for attendance allowance right away. With regards to continuing healthcare, this will depend entirely on his needs. You can down load a copy of the decision support tool which will give you some idea as to whether he is likely to qualify. With regards to nursing home costs, it is possible to have deferred payments until his house is sold. I would advise that you contact social services for an assessment.