Toileting issues

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Hi I care for my grandad in law and recently he has started having lots of toileting issues I.e caught weeing in the bathroom sink, having lots of accidents wee and poo and even hiding the evidence he hid up a vest and pants full off poo in his bed side draw :( I no he can't help it but when is the right time to put him in pads and how do you go about doing it I have no idea :( the accidents were few and far between but just recently his having them more and more we've even had a few wet beds the last couple of weeks bless him :( I have been and got some water proof sheets for his bed :) he's also getting a bit upset more cross then anything when he sees it I help him to shower and when I'm helping him undress and so on and he takes wet and soiled pants off his getting cross at them :( any help and ideas will be very gratefully recieved thank you x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Pepper&Spice

Aug 4, 2014
Hi Pumpkin know what you mean but haven't had quite the same journey as you. Mum already had some bladder problems before the Dementia really took hold ( weak muscles due to kids and age) and so she had started using pants and It was easier then to carry on, tho pads in normal pants were a total failure as she keep ripping them apart to try & get her legs in ! I have had poo wrapped in a dressing gown which she showed me and a couple of instances of poo in the pants ( fairly easily sorted) but main problem is the wet beds as mum seems now to sleep right thru ( compared to a couple of months ago when she was getting up 3 or 4 times a night) and no matter how absorbent the pants are they leak as she gets up. Thru trial & error I can get her to change pants ( well I change them for her) and sit on the commode in the morning when her bladder is full ( OT team provided this and will do rubber sheets) I have also come across disposable bed pads which I hope to get under her as she gets up & save on the constant washing. Only you know what you can get your grandad to do & it's hard as it's a dignity thing I'm sure your grandad is embarrassed about it hence the hiding of the evidence. Pants do save on the work and restore some control to the person concerned - any chance of visiting the Bladder clinic with him as they will supply and he may take the suggestion from a medical professional better than from you ?
Good luck - it's not a nice thing to deal with and not something they ever really seem to tackle when discussing Dementia.

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Thank yu ever so much for replying pepper&spice I no exactly what you mean I feel like a laundry lady haha my machine is on constantly iv killed one machine this year already :/ like you say only trial and error and lots of time and patients will help :/ it's really hard like you say and not very dignified for grandad bless him but I don't no what else to do his 81 now and needs the help and assistance we promised him we wouldn't put him in a home so were trying are best I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get some pull up pants or something's for him to try :/

I hope your having a "good" day with your mum :D we can but try are best

jawuk

Jan 29, 2014
Lutterworth, Leicestershire
Pumpkin have you thought of getting in touch with your local incontinence service? You can access them via your Grandpa's GP and they will be able to help you by supplying appropriate pads and also waterproof bed pads. They can be helpful with advice on how to deal with helping your Grandpa's problem, they certainly were when my husband developed incontinence. :O)

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Oh really thank you jawuk il contact them tomorrow :D