Carer's Assessment

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Can someone clarify this for me? (and no doubt others)

When I asked my Outreach Worker (my support thru a charitable organisation) and a SW about an assessment I was greeted with 'Are you trying to claim Carer's Allowance'? Answer: No. I work. I have a family of my own. That seemed to be the conversation stopper. Are Carer's Assessments only about financial help?

I am not looking to claim any 'benefits'. I just want someone to recognise I am a carer and sometimes I find juggling all the balls a bit difficult to manage on my own .... I want someone to recognise that without charitable support (buddy and daycare), mum's wonderful neighbours, and me (head cook, bottle washer, accountant, nurse, chaffeur blah blah.... you all know that one ....... etc) that mum is just managing to live independently ......

Do I not count as a Carer? Should my capabilities not be assessed? Perhaps I'm not up for the job? Sorry to be so sarcy ...... but I wonder if this is something I should demand .... I know if there was a hint I was neglecting my child - social services would be down on me like a ton of bricks ...... what if I was neglecting my responsibilities to my mother? How come in one capacity social services are like a bees round a honey pot and in others not?

Humpphhh, Karen, x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I thiink you know the answr to this Karen - absolutely you are entitled to a carer's assessment. Lets face it you're actually holding down three jobs: your paid employment, taking care of your own family and taking care of your mother. Knowing you're entitled to something and getting it however - well there's the rub.

Edited to add: I imagine you've seen this (or something like it) http://www.carers.gov.uk/carersleaflet.htm

Last edited:

cariad

Sep 29, 2007
Hi, push for it Karen, you are absolutely entitled to it!! Your needs will be assessed. I had one a month ago. I don't claim CA as I work part time. The assessment resulted in me being offered practical support (3 sessions a week of sitters coming in for 3 hrs a time) and emotional support (counselling sessions which I don't feel I need). Also they offered my mam a place at a day centre once weekly (but she won't go). You are also entitled to a copy of the report. As a result I am now pushing for Direct payments so I can have control. Good luck!

deepzerothree

Oct 17, 2007
birmingham uk
carer

you want to ask the social worker about direct payments you will get paid for the help you give your mom.and you can probably employ someone else as well,get the social worker off their posterior and earn their money .good luck

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
I did insist i had a carers assessment even though i was not paid ca because i was being paid my pension ,very unfair, the results paid off in terms of help crossraods and respite stays. these were not forthcoming until i had my assessment.

But as i said i had to fight for my rights.

Cynthia x x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Karen, yes, you're entitled to a carers' assessment, and no, they're not about benefits.

You need to tell them how hard it is becoming to look after your mum and still give your femily the attention they need. Lay it on thick. Tell them your son is suffering because of the increasing time you have to spend with your mum.

You should get Crossroads to take your mum shopping, day care, and respite -- always assuming your mum will accept them!:eek:

Lay it on thick, and stress the effect on your son.

Good luck!

Love,

lizzie2596

Jul 3, 2007
Hi Karen

You are absolutely entitled to a carers assessment, even though you won't be claiming carers allowance (same as me). It is important that you have an assessment as soon as possible so that the details of what you do is on file. That way you will have evidence of extra need if things deteriorate further in future.

If your assigned social worker is unhelpful I would call the Social workers office and speak to the duty social worker about it.

When you have the assessment make sure that you are absolutely honest about how much you do and how it has affected your life and your family's.

Liz x

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi karen,unfortunatley if carers earn more than 85 quid a week they get nothing.I looked into it when mum was finding it hard to cope.my ex works for the dwp so i have the information to hand if anyone needs help.Your mum can claim attendance allowance in her own right,thats what i did for mum and dad the result was worth the 10 week wait for a reply.it's not about the money,it's about claiming what is rightfully hers.let me know if you need any help with the forms.i'm a whizz (knowing exactly what they want to hear,the ex is useful at times!)love elainex

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
lizzie2596 said:
You are absolutely entitled to a carers assessment, even though you won't be claiming carers allowance (same as me). It is important that you have an assessment as soon as possible so that the details of what you do is on file. That way you will have evidence of extra need if things deteriorate further in future.

Lizzie, especially (and Hazel) - thank you!!!! I think this was exactly what I was looking for .... having had a bad week .... including a minor health scare of my own ...... the question : What if something happens to me even temporarily? - if it's only doing the laundry, the shopping, the meals, the paperwork .......

I think I've gone on 'amber alert'!!!!!! There is no one else to pick up the pieces if I'm not able - have put this on 'list of things to arrange' - thank you!!!!!

Love, Karen, x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Weath63