Coconut Oil

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Have read some good reports on using coconut oil to improve things for people with vascular dementia. Have just bought some and would welcome information from other people who have used it.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Have read some good reports on using coconut oil to improve things for people with vascular dementia. Have just bought some and would welcome information from other people who have used it.

Put coconut oil in the search and there are quite few threads on this,
I tried it on my husband for a few months but it made no difference just gave him diarrhea,

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/search.php?searchid=3194864

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
We found the same. Didn't try it for months though.

Well it was on and off i didn't give him the runs every day:D just to make sure it was that causing it and he had no benefit, if he was able to take it properly and the 3 tablespoons a day that is recommended it might have made a difference,

It makes your skin lovely and soft if you rub it in but that is all,

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
To see previous posts on Coconut Oil cut and paste URL into browser

HTML:
site:http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk coconut oil

TP just makes a mess of

site:http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk coconut oil

It strips out the 'site' and 'coconut oil' from the URL.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think searches are user specific.
You link returns:-

Attachments

• 2014-11-11_132418.jpg
    2014-11-11_132418.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 773

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It gave Bill the runs too. I eventually found he had poured the dose of oil out into the floor while I was in the kitchen! End of experiment for us!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
It makes your skin lovely and soft if you rub it in but that is all,

Yes, it's very good for the skin. 'Dr Bronner' (I expect others make similar products) has a range of liquid soaps that are based on coconut oil and can be used in the bath and for shampooing, amongst other things.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm afraid that I am one of the doubters. Pete's only reaction was diarrhea. As Canadian Joanne states a book was published amongst a lot of hype. (don't know if I can post the name of the author). The Author's Husband is still alive but his Dementia APPEARS to be now at the severe stage from what I've read. Whether he has arrived at this stage later than he would have because of the oil is almost impossible to say.

We will reach out to any potential cure for this terrible illness-but like Joanne I am wary when a 'possible cure' has been found but not substantiated by full research.

Take care

Lyn T

snedds57

Jun 15, 2011
Berwick upon Tweed
we gave it a go with some of our dementia cafe members. Some loved the taste, others hated it, some kept it in the fridge (goes brick hard). i love making roasted veggies with it, and certain curries...tastes delicious. As for its effect on dementia, there seemed to be an improvement with one man for a while, but test conditions weren't well enough regulated to make any kind of judgement. you are relying on people taking it every day. Not sure how many still take it after a year!

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Over the past few years there have been many threads on this subject and other such acclaimed 'wonder' drugs. My hope is that more money is put into proper, scientific research rather than so called wonder drugs or so called natural products which never seem to work.

xxTinaT

Last edited:

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Thanks for all your helpful comments. Think we will just use it to replace olive oil for a while. Maureen is apprehensive about some of her medication at the moment and to try to persuade her to take something else is asking for trouble. Particularly, when there is no evidence that is does any good. My assumption is that it does not do any harm!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If you don't keep it in a warm place it will go hard and you can't use it for salads etc. just to fry things in. Unfortunately I don't like the taste all that much and have found that the best use for it is actually to make hard skin much smoother.

realist1234

Oct 30, 2014
There seems to be anecdotal evidence of coconut oil helping some people with Alzheimer's, ie families and carers noting significant improvements in symptoms over a significant period of time. It is always good to be sceptical when there has been no proper research, but at the same time you cannot dismiss other people's experiences. Thankfully, the University of South Florida is now conducting a proper research case study into the possible effects of coconut oil for people with mild to moderate alzheimer's disease. Hopefully the results will be published in 2015. I am currently considering trying to give my mum coconut oil for a period of time, though its difficult as she is in a nursing home, and is very pernickity about what she eats!

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
There seems to be anecdotal evidence of coconut oil helping some people with Alzheimer's, ie families and carers noting significant improvements in symptoms over a significant period of time. It is always good to be sceptical when there has been no proper research, but at the same time you cannot dismiss other people's experiences. Thankfully, the University of South Florida is now conducting a proper research case study into the possible effects of coconut oil for people with mild to moderate alzheimer's disease. Hopefully the results will be published in 2015. I am currently considering trying to give my mum coconut oil for a period of time, though its difficult as she is in a nursing home, and is very pernickity about what she eats!
We use it for cooking it is great for roast potatoes. Not sure if it does any good but nothing lost in adding it to a sensible diet and plenty of exercise if that is at all possible.