RIP Harold

Mr Yorkshire

Apr 28, 2013
Hello everyone, today I lost a great friend Harold (Aged 77)

I am only 37 but for 15 years maybe I have known him and for the past 4 years I have had sole responsibility in ensuring his daily life runs as best it can but today that all ends.

He was not a relative but all his family had deserted him (I don't know why) and over the years he has lived alone since I have known him and so I agreed to help him in his hour of need when he was taken ill a few years ago (Vascular Dementia, TIA's, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes)

I visited him, I cooked all his meals, I payed all his bills, I took him out, I arranged his care package, I took him to the doctors/hospital I did everything but today that effort all seems in vain.

I am not too sure why I am writing this I have just shed a tear and feel quite sad.

Not once in 15 years have any of his family shown any interest in him but today they have phoned me asking if he has a will, its amazing how they cant get in touch with him in those years but can spend hours tracing me when they want his house, I hope he has left it all to a local charity and they get nothing.

I shall have a toast to the old stick as I called him and say a little prayer tonight!

God bless old bean sleep well!

Your good friend David.

Last edited:

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I visited him, I cooked all his meals, I payed all his bills, I took him out, I arranged his care package, I took him to the doctors/hospital I did everything but today that effort all seems in vain.
...it wasn't in vain, it was you doing your best to make someone's last months, weeks and days safe and comfortable and cared for.

There is a schmaltzy song with one good line......"Thank you for being a friend"

Thank you.x.x.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Sorry for your loss Mr Yorkshire,

It sounds as though Harold was very lucky to have you to look after him when he needed a friend, all you did was not in vain, you did your best for him when none of his family would and I am sure he appreciated it, He will be a big miss to you,

Best wishes, Jeany x

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Cheers old bean and I raise my glass to you too David, well done, feel proud, very proud.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
So sorry for the loss of your friend, after all the care and company over the years there must be a big void in your life right now. It is sad that you can't share your grief with his family due to their neglect of him, so I'm pleased you felt able to share your loss with us.

Take care, and try not to let his family upset you.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
David, I'm so sorry for the loss of Harold, your life will feel emptier without him that's for sure. What a fantastic friend you were to him; Wow! if only there were more like you in the world.

Harold is a peace now and that's as it should be. Try to find peace yourself with your own family and remember Harold with affection.

As for Harold's family? Well what a heartless bunch. I hope you see their faces when they realise that they get nothing from his will.

Take care

Lyn T

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Harold was a very lucky man to have a friend like you David. You would have made so much difference to his journey with so many medical problems. On behalf of all us carers can I say thank you for caring so well and with such dedication.

Take care and be proud of the help you gave to Harold.

Jay

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I can only reiterate what everyone else has said. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your dear friend - despite all his problems Harold was a lucky man. Your efforts were not in vain, you made his last years comfortable while his family deserted him. Shame on them and well done to you.

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
You were such a good friend and you'll miss him terribly. What a terrible shame that his family didn't bother until now! Thankfully you have been there for him through it all and hopefully his family will get nothing and you have the added bonus of knowing that you did your very best for him. Well done and my deepest condolences to you.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
David, I am so sorry to read you have lost your good friend Harold
Please accept my condolences .

MirandaT

Jul 19, 2010
Spain
That was a lovely caring thing that you did, and it wasn't for nothing: what would his life have been like without you? You will miss him now, but at least you know that you did the right thing by him.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Hello David,
I'm so sorry you have lost your good friend.
Good friends are precious, and I'm sure Harold blessed the day when you walked into his life.
You made a difference to someone who had no one else who cared, and that's priceless.:)

molly11

Jan 24, 2011
Lancashire
I'm so sorry for your loss. You gave Harold comfort for so long & particularly in his last days & that's something you should be proud of.
Families can be awful when the chips are down, as Harold's were, thank goodness he had you.
Thinking of you & your departed friend. I do hope you have someone to help you through these next few weeks.
Molly x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa