Car seat belt

blue eyes

Nov 6, 2014
My husband has moderate / late stage Alzheimer's disease. Two weeks ago it was like a switch went off in his head and he started opening his car seat belt. This was an ongoing problem. I was so stressed. I am challenged on a weekly basis with this horrendous disease but this is one of the worst challenges to date. I have hopefully solved my problem but I would be very interested if anyone else has faced this problem and how they have dealt with it .

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum has been doing this for sometime now, keeps clicking it in and out. Keep saying to her very calmly, 'we are not there yet, put your seat belt back on' and she keeps calling it her Christmas harness and while I'm driving she wants me to sort it out its clunk click all the time. She now sits in the back seat because she kept playing with my seat belt!!!! Don't know how to solve this one except maybe have a special belt fitted, but not being able to clunk click may distress her even more, So know exactly how you are feeling about this one.

blue eyes

Nov 6, 2014
I hope I can be of help to you. Look up www.Alzheimerproducts.co.uk Product there called Klaspsafe. I live in Ireland and use the equivalent item called Angel Guards. Makes it impossible to release belt yet carer can open it in seconds. It has literally saved my life. I also give my husband two bottles of water to hold serves as a distraction.

blue eyes

Nov 6, 2014
Yes that is a worry because Angel Guard will not solve the anxiety but I try to distract him as much as possible. I have also covered the handle of the door. Its just a loose cover . I fear now he may open the door while I am driving. Necessity is the "mother of invention"

Concerned J

Jun 15, 2014
London
My mum unfasten the seatbelt when we're still yards away from destination. It worries me. I can't have her in the back because she will unfasten the child seat which is positioned in the middle of the three sets. Also I can't keep an eye on her so well. She will occasionally unfasten mine which gives me a bit of a jolt.

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
My husband has moderate / late stage Alzheimer's disease. Two weeks ago it was like a switch went off in his head and he started opening his car seat belt. This was an ongoing problem. I was so stressed. I am challenged on a weekly basis with this horrendous disease but this is one of the worst challenges to date. I have hopefully solved my problem but I would be very interested if anyone else has faced this problem and how they have dealt with it .

Not only the seat belt, my husband occasionally fiddles with the door handles and opens it as we are going along, fortunately each time I have realised and have been able to pull over, but am seriously thinking of back seat with child locks on, we don't have child locks on front door. It's a shame because when we are in the car life feels almost normal!

blue eyes

Nov 6, 2014
Not only the seat belt, my husband occasionally fiddles with the door handles and opens it as we are going along, fortunately each time I have realised and have been able to pull over, but am seriously thinking of back seat with child locks on, we don't have child locks on front door. It's a shame because when we are in the car life feels almost normal!

I used a light plastic to hang over door handle which I attached with comand strips. I was so afraid he might try to open the door. Now he does not realise that there is a handle ! The Angel Guards are working so well for me. My husband is unable to open the belt now. It does not of course take away his anxiety. It is so true what you say life can appear to be somewhat"normal"when you are out and about in the car.