Does anyone have experience of arranging DBS checks on privately employed carers?

Jowan

Oct 15, 2014
Somerset
Does anyone have experience of arranging DBS checks on privately employed carers? I need to do this, but I don't understand how it works!

Laine5

Jun 15, 2013
The Carer we employ got her own Police check done, she was already employed part time by someone else as well. We have help through a local Centre for Independent living to deal with the tax and NI which takes all the worry away.
Has been working really well so far.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Depending on the kind of check you want done it is not a simple process, although fairly straightforward.

Most healthcare workers need an "Enhanced" check, which includes Police records and a check of the "barred" list.

As Laine5 says you can ask the carer to apply for their own. However this is only a "Basic" check and will only show any convictions/cautions that are "unspent".

Unless you do 100 or more applications a year (I assume you do not:)) you are not able to apply to the DBS yourself you have to go through an umbrella company. Some allow on line applications but that gets more complicated as ID documents have to be authenticated first.

Full details on the DBS and a list of umbrella companies in your area can be found here...The enhanced check cost £44 and then whatever the umbrella company charge normally between £10-£20.
https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview

Hope that helps and good luck:)

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Out of interest to DBS checks have to be updated.

When I started work I don't think CRB checks existed but they suddenly did them when I had been working for the company for 31 years and no further checks were done in my final 6 years.
I was in a position to commit fraud eg authorising payments for up to a certain amount on my own.
That said if I had authorised stacks of payments I think it would have raised eyebrows.
Oddly I did take charge of school leavers occasionally.

William

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Yes DBS checks do have to be updated. They are only valid on the day they are dated.

There is an option now, especially good for care worker that change jobs on a regular basis, where for a fee of £13/year will allow you to take a new DBS to a new employer and also allow that employer to check on line without going through the whole process again.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Thanks. Any idea which umbrella company I should use?
No recommendations. They are all authorised by the DBS service and do the same thing. Just use the link I posted to search. The on-line only ones require to get the carers ID Documents authenticated which can be done at the Post Office for yet another fee. Some allow you to go into their office and they will authenticate. Which ever is more convenient for you and the carer.:)