Colours

Hindy

Jul 31, 2014
The wash basin, bath and toilet, in our house, are all white. Sometimes my Father can't tell one from the other, so he stops, at either the basin or bath, and passes water.

I recently read that the colour red is the last colour to leave a dementia sufferers perception.

I've looked for a toilet seat that is red, but they are very expensive or not available from stores in my area. I even looked at sticking something to the seat. Unfortunately, my Father would make quick work of removing it.

It's a nightmare cleaning the bathroom each time. Can someone suggest something?

Many thanks,

Hindy.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Can you paint the seat red using a spray paint, I know b and u know who;) do lots of different types so you might find one suitable. Just a thought.

Red irritates me very much, but I find contrast colours do help.

flossielime

May 8, 2014
I bought a red one from amazon. I cant remember (not a good sign!) how much but I think about £20 and it arrived the next day.

Hindy

Jul 31, 2014
Can you paint the seat red using a spray paint, I know b and u know who;) do lots of different types so you might find one suitable. Just a thought.

Red irritates me very much, but I find contrast colours do help.

Thanks for your post Sue J.

I thought about spraying the toilet seat, but I was told that the paint comes off when cleaned. There's one of those 'U know who' stores in the city that I live in, so I'll have a ride over and check it out.

Thanks again,

Hindy.

Hindy

Jul 31, 2014
Google 'red toilet seat' - there seem to be loads and not too expensive. Order online or on the phone and have it delivered. Hope you find one that's suitable.

Hi Piph,

Thanks for the information. I was hoping to find something local, but, if push comes to shove, I can have a better look at amazon.

Regards,

Hindy.

Hindy

Jul 31, 2014
I bought a red one from amazon. I cant remember (not a good sign!) how much but I think about £20 and it arrived the next day.

Hi flossielime,

Thanks for you post.

That sounds amazingly fast from Amazon. I wish cost wasn't an issue, maybe the benefits would outweigh the cost in the long run.

Thanks again,

Hindy.

Hindy

Jul 31, 2014
Quite a few care homes now use red toilet seats as it does help a confused person to identify easily.

xxTinaT

Hi Tina T,

I found it interesting that red appears to be the last colour to leave the memory.

I also found it useful that if we don't want my Father to start going through cupboards and drawers, all we seem to need to do is put important things in something white that blends with a white background (colours that blend with something else appear to be camouflaged).

Thanks for posting,

Hindy.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
In my Husband's CH all the rooms are painted combinations of red and green. Apparently these are 'dementia' colours-the ones that sufferers can 'see' and identify with. I've no idea if there was a study regarding this but it could be true.

Please let us know how you get on-this could be very useful information for home Carers.

Take care

Lyn T

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Hindu

If you Google Plastikote looks like it would do the job.
Hope you find something that does
Sue

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lindsay A