CCTV in care homes?

KellyC

Oct 30, 2014
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to see anyone's opinions on this.
Obviously I understand that everyone has rights to privacy,and I don't mean in bedrooms but in social areas like living rooms and corridors.

The reason I am asking is because my nan, my second mum, had a fall a couple of days ago and was found unconscious and unresponsive. She had bruises up her legs and arms, the care home say they don't know how she has fallen, tripped,fainted, pushed?

This is not the first occasion my nan has fallen or had bruises on her.

When she first entered the care home 4 years ago (after much investigating and viewing more than 12 care homes) we were told that she was involved in fights with other residents and had also been vicious towards care workers hence why bruises were there as they tried to restrain her.
My nan is not a vicious person and it was the alzheimers making her that way.

I just think it would give family members some peace of mind, and also it will hold out true for the care home and back up their sayings if something was to happen.

What is everyone's views of this?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Correctly applied restraint shouldn't bruise

If she's having to be restrained on a regular basis, she's possibly in the wrong place.

I guess CCTV has a role, but more important- what action did they take following this?

KellyC

Oct 30, 2014
Not much to be honest.
We have had meetings with them and it's always been put forward that they are basically doing us a 'favour' by letting her stay there.
I think it my NANs condition now it will be hard to find a new care home that will take her in, and obviously the moving her around will disorientate her even more.

My nan won't have a bath/shower so they say they have to restrain her to wash her, she's incontinent, which she fights against.
Unfortunately, we can only go twice a week to see her, and we wash and dress her when there.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
So she was found unconscious and unresponsive and they did nothing?

I'd want far more than CCTV- I'd want someone head on a block!

You are NOT allowed to forcibly shower or wash people

They are not doing you a favour, get her needs assessed, and find a place that's better suited to her needs

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Welcome to TP kelly

I'm very sorry to hear about your Nan

I agree with Jessbow that restraint techniques shouldn't be aggressive enough to leave bruises. If your Nan has any falls or incidents which DO leave bruises they should be recorded on a 'body map' and placed in her file. In addition a full explanation should be written up. This file should be available for you to view at all times. Record keeping is very important in CH's and the CQC take a dim view on incomplete ones. If I was in your position I would raise the issues you have with the CH Manager. If I wasn't satisfied I would contact the CQC.

Take care

Lyn T

Taraloka

Sep 27, 2014
Liverpool
Hi Kelly, I posted a thread a couple of days ago . I'm really worried about my mum too. I've ordered a secret audio machine to put in her room as I have my suspicions about the night staff. I will do anything to protect my mum and I don't care if this is against their rules.
It's awful isn't it worrying all the time.

flossielime

May 8, 2014
My mum is in a nursing home with MS she is 100% with it mentally. Generally all the staff are really good BUT she has come across the odd one or two that are rubbish (rather than cruel). But one has to wonder about some of the things that they do to my mum who can relay it all to me or indeed the manager what are they like with those that cant speak up for themselves. When my dad goes into care home I will have no hesitation using CCTV or whatever if I am in any doubt about his care.

cf1611

Apr 16, 2014
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to see anyone's opinions on this.
Obviously I understand that everyone has rights to privacy,and I don't mean in bedrooms but in social areas like living rooms and corridors.

The reason I am asking is because my nan, my second mum, had a fall a couple of days ago and was found unconscious and unresponsive. She had bruises up her legs and arms, the care home say they don't know how she has fallen, tripped,fainted, pushed?

This is not the first occasion my nan has fallen or had bruises on her.

When she first entered the care home 4 years ago (after much investigating and viewing more than 12 care homes) we were told that she was involved in fights with other residents and had also been vicious towards care workers hence why bruises were there as they tried to restrain her.
My nan is not a vicious person and it was the alzheimers making her that way.

I just think it would give family members some peace of mind, and also it will hold out true for the care home and back up their sayings if something was to happen.

What is everyone's views of this?
I agree that CCTV should be installed in care homes. My mum has had many unexplained bruises, I have spoken with the manager about this and the only injury recorded appeared to be when she fell from her wheelchair. The manager just informs me that elderly people bruise easily and they do not know how she got them. I do not think any of the staff are deliberately unkind but I do think she gets injured as a result of careless handling, and maybe using only one member of staff for moving her when it should be two. My mum does not have the cognitive ability to tell us how these injuries occur, and I think it would be useful to observe how people are being handled/moved. I would also feel more comfortable knowing that CCTV was in place, at least ant staff were tempted to mistreat people they would be deterred if they though they maybe being watched.

mosaicwendy

Sep 18, 2014
I would like to have CCTV in my Mums room - she has had money stolen out of her purse, her toiletries taken an ornaments out of her glass cabinet.

If I could put secret recording devices in - I would! I hat the fact that someone is using my mums confusion to cover up what I consider abuse of a vulnerable person.

So... If you have any doubt - I'd get a video/audio recorder.

Wendy

KellyC

Oct 30, 2014
Thank you everyone for your responses.
It's such a shame that people who are there to care for our loved ones can at times can advantage.
I'ts horrible not knowing what to do.
I have ordered a camera from ebay to hide in a plant, although my nan rarely spends time in her room. Also, we notice that they move her photos, flowers, ornaments etc about- are they already checking for a camera?

Went to see my nan today and she has a badly badly bruised eye and nose. I burst into tears seeing her. AGAIN, the only explanation we got was that the night staff were on duty blah blah, she's double incontinent, don't like to be changed and all the rest of the old garbage!
AGAIN, the manager wasn't in, probably floating about wondering of more ways to make more money!

I am going to put the camera in her room as soon as it arrives, if I see anyone abusing, mentally, verbally or physically, I will give them a black eye!!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Can I ask....do you have a Social Worker? Get on the phone to Social Services even if you haven't and report the home and the lack of support you are getting. Tell them about this very vulnerable adult who is either being neglected or mistreated, perhaps by another disturbed resident or worse perhaps by a carer.
Start looking for a new home now, ask the SS for a list of suitable homes which have vacancies and visit them asap.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
There is also a video pen that can be put straight into your usb port and downloaded..easily findable..the reality is we know patient with dementia can be challenging...no kidding ive been my dads carer for ages and we have ways round somethings..theres only me so if I can manage unpaid unaccompanied and non adapted surroundings then why cant they????..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
KellyC,
I use/install hidden cameras for my day job and have used them in the past to give myself peace of mind with my Mother both at home and now in a NH.

So please do not take the rest of this post as in any way against their use but just some points to bear in mind that you may not have considered.

If your Nan has capacity has she agreed to this or if your Nan does not have capacity does the person with POA agree to this? If the answer is "NO" then I would reconsider.

The items on ebay can be quite good but because that's where you are buying it from means that they are also not a secret to the people committing wrong doings.

One of the cleaners in my Mom's NH is especially fond of plants and regularly cleans the leaves of those in all of the NH.

If you are taking in a new plant expect it to looked at more than something that has been there a while.

How are you going to power it? You are going to need quite a big battery for just a couple of days worth of footage.

If you are going to power it from the mains and you do not have the bill payers permission you are technically committing a criminal offence of Abstracting Electricity.

Have you considered the consequences if the camera is discovered? There are too many to mention but the home could terminate the contract forcing a move or impose a restriction on who can visit.

If you do go ahead and you do capture something illegal where are you going to go with it? Steer well clear of any confrontations and go straight off to the Police.

Keep any footage safe and in its original state. Do not enhance it, change it or edit it. Make a copy by all means but the original is the one needed as evidence. Don't entrust any of it to email, the internet or any cloud.

Good luck and I do wish you and your Nan well in whatever you decide to do.