Sudden onset dementia following a morphine overdose

Trishdud

Oct 29, 2014
In July the family went on holiday leaving mum in the care of the nhs. Sadly she received a morphine overdose that stopped her breathing and sent her into a coma. She now has dementia and its been so hard to see her normal one day and a person we no longer know the next day. I can't begin to tell about the terrible abuse she has given us, calling her granddaughter a prostitute for one thing? I'm devastated. Has anyone else experienced such a dramatic overnight change and how did you cope? Is it normal dementia behaviour to be so preoccupied with death and debauchary?

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Welcome to talking point.

To answer your question in our case yes to both. Mum tells me some dreadful things that everyone around her has done. I am a mass murderer and a prostitute in my spare time!

Trishdud

Oct 29, 2014
Welcome to talking point.

To answer your question in our case yes to both. Mum tells me some dreadful things that everyone around her has done. I am a mass murderer and a prostitute in my spare time!

And is your mother also aggressive? My mother hits the staff and other patients and sees things that aren't there.