The final journey

SusanR

Apr 29, 2007
WisconsinUSA
It's not only that I do not have to visit the NH again, it's more because Rich is NOT there and I am so grateful for that. I would say goodnight to him every night and sometimes I would just shudder and then after he died I changed to goodnight where ever you are and since I brought his cremains home, I just say goodnight and no longer toss and turn, but go blissfully asleep. He is back home where he belongs and I find such peace with that.

Because the chaplain was with him when he died and said prayers, I didn't feel the need for a funeral. I invited family and his five closest friends to the house for a celebration. We gave him quite a send off - lots of laughter and tears. He would have loved it.

Susan

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Susan

It sounds as if you have marked Rich's passing in a very fitting way. I'm glad that you have found peace in the knowledge that he is now always with you, instead of having to leave him behind in the NH. It's a way of looking at things I hadn't thought of, and I'll remember it.

Thank you for your post,

Love,

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Susan

I guess you can't possibly know how helpful your latest post is to me.

You've trodden a path that is someplace in my future and your words provide a huge amount of hope.

I'm glad things worked as they did for you. :)

SusanR

Apr 29, 2007
WisconsinUSA
It has been a month ......

Just wanted to thank you for your kind thoughts and I am glad that my experience has helped.
It has been a month and I still feel at peace. Now that my heart is not breaking several times a week, it has begun to heal.
We go through many emotions during the different stages of this disease - at the onset fear, in the heat of care giving, hate and pity; once Rich was at assisted living, the love returned along with the pity and when he was in the nursing home, I don't think I allowed myself much emotion at all or I could not have survived it. Now I am flooded with love and relief. Old wonderful memories are returning instead of those of the last year.

Take care.

Susan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Susan,

Your post is so comforting. Thank you. I `m so pleased for you that it is this way.

Love xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dearest Susan, sad for you, glad for you.

Thank you for posting so openly about your feelings. Your words have helped me so much too. A journey that I have still to make.

I hope and pray for some peace and happiness in the future for you., now that Rich is at peace.

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
Dear Susan

iam so sorry for you loss and can i just say what a lovely post you have sent out here on TP. I am sure you have given comfort to outhers it was so moving reading your post.

Take care kathy