Risperidone

yorkshirerosie

Jul 14, 2010
cheshire
For over a year we had been asking for help with further medication for Mum as she has screaming and crying fits through the night. We don't know what brings them on and she doesn't remember them, the neighbours advise us. Thankfully 8 weeks ago she was eventually prescribed Risperidone which has massively calmed her down making her a lot less anxious and it a much happier mood all the time. I was advised at the time that if the Risperidone didn't work then there was nothing else that could be prescribed.
I have just received an email from one of the other nurses who has told me that at 8 weeks they usually look to stop the medication due to the risk of stroke and that some people are fine coming off but if the psychotic feature do happen again they can look at re prescribing it and she can then stay on it indefinitely.
They are asking me if I am in agreement.
I don't want her to come off it, everyone has remarked on how great her mood is and how much calmer she is. I hate the thought of her being scared and frustrated so much that she has to scream and cry for hours on end.
What do I do?
Has anyone else experienced similar?
I would appreciate any help as I need to speak to the nurse today!

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Yorkshire Rosie

I too have seen positive effects of respiridone on someone, It needed very careful monitoring, daily, they were only on it a short time initially and it had positive effects.Several months later family stress caused a relapse for this person and they were put back on it, an increased dose, the person literally aged 20 years in a week, was shuffling walking and couldn't speak well, the drug was not monitored as it had need the first time.

I know of someone who has been stabilised too with injections but I wonder of the longer term effects if the body becomes too used to it. I think if I found it effective for myself I would want to try periods without it for that reason, but my thoughts only.

Hope you get on OK with the nurse. I think it is good that it has been reviewed and if it was prescribed it longer term would still think it necessary to review quite frequently, every eight weeks.
Best wishes
Sue

Corriefan

Dec 30, 2012
My mum was on Risperidone at first and then switched to Quetiapine as the Risperidone made her very sleepy. No-one ever suggested she could not stay on Risperidone long term. They did tell us about the increased risk of stroke if you take these tablets but felt that it was worth it. If your mum has been happier on the Risperidone then maybe it would be best for her to stay on it. My mum has not had any more strokes and is on quite a high dose of Quetiapine.

Starlight123

Oct 23, 2014
Your mother will be screaming for a reason. She may be hallucinating and/or frightened by something. If you do some detective work you might be able to work it out and find a solution. By detective work I mean to watch what happens (not to simply ask her). You have not said how your mother is during the day when she's not screaming. If her quality of life is fairly good and she can manage then it may be a risk to give her the drugs. It's a risk/benefit assessment. With dementia (especially lewy body) the antipsychotics like Risperidone can cause a fast worsening of a person's condition to the point where they quickly need much more help.

What does your mother think? Do you know what she would prefer?

For over a year we had been asking for help with further medication for Mum as she has screaming and crying fits through the night. We don't know what brings them on and she doesn't remember them, the neighbours advise us. Thankfully 8 weeks ago she was eventually prescribed Risperidone which has massively calmed her down making her a lot less anxious and it a much happier mood all the time. I was advised at the time that if the Risperidone didn't work then there was nothing else that could be prescribed.
I have just received an email from one of the other nurses who has told me that at 8 weeks they usually look to stop the medication due to the risk of stroke and that some people are fine coming off but if the psychotic feature do happen again they can look at re prescribing it and she can then stay on it indefinitely.
They are asking me if I am in agreement.
I don't want her to come off it, everyone has remarked on how great her mood is and how much calmer she is. I hate the thought of her being scared and frustrated so much that she has to scream and cry for hours on end.
What do I do?
Has anyone else experienced similar?
I would appreciate any help as I need to speak to the nurse today!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R