Not eating

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Really pleased to hear your news. My Mum has been having these phases of not eating and drinking for a few weeks, then all of a sudden we go in and are told she has been eating and drinking well and this lasts for a week, so you may find the same, unfortunately it is hard to watch. My Mum is having to be fed most of the tome now, she seems to have forgotten what to do and because she sometimes holds the food in her mouth, we are having the salt team in to her. One of the carers told me the other day that she was trying to feed Mum, but Mum wanted to spoon feed her too! She let her as it was the only way she could get Mum to eat, that's dedication for you :). Really hope your Mum continues to eat even if it is just one meal a day xx

Ange

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Aww thanks Ange x

I was seriously starting to wonder about how long someone could survive without food. I know you can manage on fluids for a while but I'm not convinced she's drinking that much either. If they get one meal a week down her I would feel much better.

Love the image of your mum feeding the carer :D

I often think I wouldn't have the patience to be a carer. It was painful just for 45 minutes when I tried to get her to take a bite of a biscuit!

I did wonder if her swallow reflex was going too but now I've seen her eat I do think the problem is more psychological/dementia related.

X

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
ive got my mum on e sure drinks strawberry flavour 3 a day they give her all she needs there like a thick milk shake .your doctor should be able to prescripe them . ive all so notice mum likes any thing sweet its the last taste to go all though a choc diet not recommened doctor says better than nothing :)

Hi Pikeman, mum has always hated milkshakes and I doubt they would be able to get her to have them. I did wonder about soup though?

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thank you all by the way! I thought of all your comments and suggestions while I was driving there today. I couldn't wait to get on TP and tell you that she had eaten. It's funny now how I think of you lot before I even think of telling my family! :D x

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
The thing my dad took to when he stopped swallowing well was desserts - mainly chocolate flavoured (so I know where I get THAT from :rolleyes:;)) - like custard in consistency, and he had one after every 'meal' - especially if he had experienced problems eating on that particular occasion.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Desserts are her (and mine!) favourite part of a meal. Last week I saw them put an amazing dessert in front of her and she looked at it like it was mud on the plate. Maybe the brain just interprets what you see differently?

She used to eat chocolate fingers by the packet full (she even remembered today which cupboard at home she kept them in!) but I could only get her to have one bite today.

Vesnina2

Oct 8, 2014
My mother used to enjoy her meals, but now I cannot find anything - usually.
I sit with her and encourage her, but problem may be she wants to eat by herself
while she cannot see etc... so sometimes we struggle for a while until she starts,
then she accepts I give her bite by bite...

I have to teach her occasionally - last few days - how to drink...

It must be other health problems are causing different difficulties,
but I believe that the causes are mixed:

her weak heart (although she always had such a great heart!!!),
must be causing problems with circulation,
I still do not understand what is going on whith her kidneys,
and one set of problems causes other problems...