i need help or advice about housing .

katieJane

Oct 14, 2014
hi i have come on this site to try and get some help or advice about housing as my situation is quite hard to deal with.i look after my mother inlaw who has alzheimers which is getting worse everyday but she lives with her 28year old daughter who has downs syndrome.i have been trying for three years to get them moved due to their property being unsafe as they live in high rise flats where they have had their money stole,food and things from cupboards stolen,backwards stolen from people who also live in the flats.now as my mother inlaw has forgot about this she has now started letting this person back in her flat which has started things going missing again. i have been in touch with so many people but cannot get any help to get them nearer to me so i can look after them as i live in quite away from them plus i have to young children to look after.i am so afraid that something bad Will happen before i can get any help.if anyone has any ideas please can i have them important lost at the moment.thankyou.

Pegsdaughter

Oct 7, 2014
London
I would get in touch with their local councillor via email state what you have said here and add your concerns about them being vulnerable and ask why they are not on the radar of social services particularly as their is a person with special needs in the property. I have used this route for clients before and it does seem to work as officers cannot ignore a query from a councillor. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

katieJane

Oct 14, 2014
I would get in touch with their local councillor via email state what you have said here and add your concerns about them being vulnerable and ask why they are not on the radar of social services particularly as their is a person with special needs in the property. I have used this route for clients before and it does seem to work as officers cannot ignore a query from a councillor. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

hi thanks for that but all of that's all ready been done but all say they cannot do any more apart from put her name on the trafford housing list which i have already done but they Will not put them on for medical reasons and she is in the bottom list which means no chance i also have their names down on sheltered housing but they won't take them because off my sister inlaw age 28.this is why important stuck.no one seems to be able to help.

halojones

May 7, 2014
Hi Katie Jane

What a terrible situation your family are in...The trouble with the council is that it is practically impossible to get rehoused, ..You are going to have to try everything that you can..Citizens advice,your MP, the DSA, and they should definetley be down as Medical Priority!., I would go to their GP and ask for this, and get a written report to back it up..And the Police..Also the council do Management Transfers, although I have never known anyone ever get this?Also, some councils have housing for vulnerable people that are not sheltered, (my MIL lives in a small block that fits this criteria) The problem is the pressure on social housing is so great it is practically impossible to get moved..But you can also apply for them to go with a Housing Association, and Church Housing Associations look after vulnerable people..Go to the church,get as much advice as you can..Have you got a S.W. for them?You should all have much more help than you are getting, but you are going to have to make yourselves heard, which is not easy when you live a long way off and have little ones ..Highlighting your case in the press would also help? How about a petition on Change.org...?maybe?Or ,what about private rented? And isn't it rotten, when others pray on the vulnerable in our society,:mad:..I do hope you can get your family moved near you, I really do..Let us know how you get on, I wish you all the luck that I possibly can ..x

katieJane

Oct 14, 2014
What a terrible situation your family are in...The trouble with the council is that it is practically impossible to get rehoused, ..You are going to have to try everything that you can..Citizens advice,your MP, the DSA, and they should definetley be down as Medical Priority!., I would go to their GP and ask for this, and get a written report to back it up..And the Police..Also the council do Management Transfers, although I have never known anyone ever get this?Also, some councils have housing for vulnerable people that are not sheltered, (my MIL lives in a small block that fits this criteria) The problem is the pressure on social housing is so great it is practically impossible to get moved..But you can also apply for them to go with a Housing Association, and Church Housing Associations look after vulnerable people..Go to the church,get as much advice as you can..Have you got a S.W. for them?You should all have much more help than you are getting, but you are going to have to make yourselves heard, which is not easy when you live a long way off and have little ones ..Highlighting your case in the press would also help? How about a petition on Change.org...?maybe?Or ,what about private rented? And isn't it rotten, when others pray on the vulnerable in our society,:mad:..I do hope you can get your family moved near you, I really do..Let us know how you

get on, I wish you all the luck that I possibly can ..x

hi thanks so much for your advice it is really helpful i Will try all of these thing and hopefully i can get somewhere. thankyou sooooooooo much.

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire
hi i have come on this site to try and get some help or advice about housing as my situation is quite hard to deal with.i look after my mother inlaw who has alzheimers which is getting worse everyday but she lives with her 28year old daughter who has downs syndrome.i have been trying for three years to get them moved due to their property being unsafe as they live in high rise flats where they have had their money stole,food and things from cupboards stolen,backwards stolen from people who also live in the flats.now as my mother inlaw has forgot about this she has now started letting this person back in her flat which has started things going missing again. i have been in touch with so many people but cannot get any help to get them nearer to me so i can look after them as i live in quite away from them plus i have to young children to look after.i am so afraid that something bad Will happen before i can get any help.if anyone has any ideas please can i have them important lost at the moment.thankyou.

Hi
This is a terrible situation for all concerned, just a suggestion but start emailing all mp's that are involved with the elderly, health, people with special needs etc. My sister has done this and its amazing how quickly things start to move the more vocal you become, she was just on the verge of talking to the press too. I really hope you get some help very soon
suz x

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
A friend of mine was in a similar situation and she did exactly what leicester61 has suggested, all relevant charities organisations etc. same letter sent to all with c.c's so they all knew they were not the only ones she had informed of her plight. Its unfortunate, but you have to push, write and push again!!

Dave66

Sep 13, 2014
Hi KatieJane welcome to TP.

I'm sorry, but all I can suggest is what everyone else has already said, but, I will add this. When you communicate via email, letter or phone, make it clear to whoever it is, that you are going to share the communication with local, national and social media, and in the event of anything serious happening to these two very vulnerable people, you will make sure that they are held accountable!
Sometimes the nice person approach and attitude needs to be swapped for a more assertive and perhaps a tad threatening one, but to get what these people need and deserve, you have to explore all the options available to you.

Good luck with this and please keep us updated with any progress.

ancient&modern

Oct 19, 2013
have you tried carers association, also alzheimers group, both local to MIL and to you.
also i found a local ADVOCACY Service was the only ones who were able to get through to, intervene helpfully with various overbearing agencies of nhs and social sevices.
try to find if your and/or their area has an advocacy service, they are aimed at helping vulnerable people dealing with officials.
good luck.

halojones

May 7, 2014
Good Advise

Great advise everyone, I do hope that Katie and her family get the help that they so clearly need...Thank goodness for TP:)

katieJane

Oct 14, 2014
Hi
This is a terrible situation for all concerned, just a suggestion but start emailing all mp's that are involved with the elderly, health, people with special needs etc. My sister has done this and its amazing how quickly things start too move the more vocal you become, she was just on the verge of talking to the press too. I really hope you get some help very soon
suz x

:)thankyou so much i Will all the advice i get it is so helpful to hear all of these ideas instead of pulling my hair out trying to think of ways to do it. i Will keep you informed of my progress .thankyou so:confused:.

katieJane

Oct 14, 2014
Great advise everyone, I do hope that Katie and her family get the help that they so clearly need...Thank goodness for TP:)

yes it is really great advice.i only found this website by accident but it was the best accident i have ever had thankyou all so very much from me and my struggling family.god bless you all.;)