Advice car swivel seats

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Has any one got experience of getting someone in car using car swivel seat and feel they could recommend it. There are so many to choose from but without seeing/feeling it is hard to make choice. Thank you in anticipation.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I bought one and it was of no use! I don't think I gave it enough thought before I bought it. Admittedly it was a cheap one out of a supermarket! Our car seats curve up at the sides - something I had never really noticed! This meant that the seat wouldn't swivel. I haven't tried another as Bill must picks up whatever I try and chucks it into the back seat!

Jeany gave me the link to this and I bought one -

http://www.cosyfeet.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Swivel+cushion

It's brilliant but he won't sit on it! I have given in and am using a bin bag. He does sometimes sit on it and it does work!

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Thank you. Is it the seat or the bin bag that works? Bin bag should glide well on pressure cushion I guess as not so much friction there!

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
mum had a special swivel seat (you take the normal seat out permanently). It worked for some time but it was very expensive. She had sequencing problems so couldn't work out what foot to put down to get out of the car but we didn't know that until later.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thank you. Is it the seat or the bin bag that works? Bin bag should glide well on pressure cushion I guess as not so much friction there!

Swivel cushion would work but he won't keep it on the seat. The bin bag works and he sometimes lets me out it on the seat and leaves it there!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Putting talc in the bin bag - thick refuse type - and giving it a good shake helps.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Thank you for good idea. Is there someone out there who has sufficient knowledge of car door strength to advise if that strap one can get that goes round top of door when window open to help someone heave themselves out of car. Am also intending to get that device that looks like a folding pruning saw and goes in bracket of door opening pillar. Has any one used these with good effect too?

win

Oct 14, 2012
Has any one got experience of getting someone in car using car swivel seat and feel they could recommend it. There are so many to choose from but without seeing/feeling it is hard to make choice. Thank you in anticipation.
Cosy feet sell a good one and they also sell the handle you may need to get in and out of the car. Both are expensive but I found them worth the money I used both together for my late mother all the time and found it very, very good, It is so easy to swing their legs in when the seat spins around. Go slowly though as you can easily knock them off balance.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Oxy

First decide whether they are going to heave themselves out or just use it for confidence.

The problem can be just freezing and an inability to do anything - mental not physical.

As for the folding pruning saw device, again if the problem is mental not physical it may not help, in fact it may hinder by introducing something new into the 'what do I do next to get out of this car' problem.

Dearie Me

Feb 2, 2012
Scotland
I use one of the pruning saw type handles and mum does find it useful . She won't take my arm and I think finds the handle more sturdy. It works well although I only have a wee corsa. I got it free through the occupational therapist - maybe worth trying.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Nitram-it would save trying to use the door seal! Doesn't like me helping sometimes, though will probably still need this. 1,2,3 are you standing works when willing but not good for me as I'm considerably smaller. Is very much a physical problem-arthritic but too weak to use arms. Thank you dearie me-my car also small.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951