A brief flirtation (!), an anticipated affair (xxx) - then heartache

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I was a Freecycle virgin, but yesterday I advertised John's old armchair and a Dulux Paint Pod, still in its box on Freecycle. I listed that there was one small corner brush for the paint pod that was broken, but I had a leaflet listing where spare parts could be purchased. :)

The armchair was the one that John had, prior to his all singing and dancing one, and though the men who delivered the new one were happy to take the old one away, John insisted he kept it in the garage.

I posted that the armchair was working perfectly, (new ones cost over £1000), but needed a good clean or reupholstering. Good God, what a fussy lot of whatsits people are! And they're getting it for free! One person who was interested in the armchair asked me if I had a picture, so I said I didn't but found the exact one, in an advert and posted the link.

But she wanted to know if my one was very dirty or just dirty, so I said if I didn't have arthritis, I'd have given it a bloody good clean and sold it on ebay for £300, but she declined - unless I could clean it first!!!!

Then the paint pod. The first bloke asked me if it was any good. I said it was but I couldn't climb a ladder or stretch my arm any more to use it, but he persisted, asking loads of questions and then said "is it worth it?" so I said well as it's costing you nothing - yes! So he said he didn't have a car, was coming on 2 buses, but could I meet him where he'd have to change buses, as it would help him!

I said no, and he was supposed to come at 10, then emailed me at 9.55, to say it would be too much of a fart for him on buses. So I contacted the next enquirer, and she was going to come at 12. I contacted her at 1, and she said that as there was a piece that needs replacing, she thought she'd leave it. :mad:

I reminded her that, as in the advert, there was an almost full refill pack of paint, that cost £20, but she said it wasn't worth her while. I asked if she'd emailed me, or texted me to say she'd changed her mind, as I thought there must be something wrong with either my phone or computer, as I hadn't received her message, (!) and she gave a sort of laugh in her throat, followed by a sharp intake of breath, and put the phone down. :eek:

So I contacted punter number 3, who was supposed to come at 3pm. At 3.30, I had a text from her saying she wasn't coming, she didn't feel well but will come tomorrow, in the morning. I replied that I was sorry she felt ill, I'd see her at 11 and I wished her better.

About 2 hours later I received a reply. Three words. Not "thank you Scarlett", as you might have thought but ................................. SO DO I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bloody cheek! So that's my sad story of my brief l'affaire de la coeur with Freecycle. If she doesn't come tomorrow at 11, then at 12 I shall take it to the dump, and the next Bob The Builder, with van, who comes here will be given a fiver to take the armchair away.

Aaaaagh! :mad::mad::mad:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
What a downright cheek! Would the Salvation Army take the chair? We have a local homeless project thing which will take furniture. I think chairs and sofas have to have a certain fire regulations ticket on them though.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
It is quite incredible really the responses you have had, common decency just seems very rare these days:( hope you manage to get someone who will take them for you, have you tried ringing any local charity shops that may take for youx

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
Terrible response. I have recycled lots of items and have also been let down which is very frustrating. When you advertise ask for no time wasters, not that that helps sometimes and don't give up. Also look for local rag a bone men scrap metal dealers as they will take them and possibly sell on for a small amount but they do do a service to cut down on land fill. I have a house full of junk to get rid of so I look at the wanted ads so I give to those as they come up and slowly get rid to people who need.
Keep your chin up and patience is a virtue they say. I have no virtue.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thank you all for your responses. Another member on here has PMd me, and if I don't get any response tomorrow, she has a connection in my area who may be able to take the items.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
If you ever want to get rid of something just put it on border with pavement and the rag and bone men come to get it sometimes they take things you leave in garden 'by mistake'.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
If you ever want to get rid of something just put it on border with pavement and the rag and bone men come to get it sometimes they take things you leave in garden 'by mistake'.

Knowing my luck, some passing oik would probably empty the paint on the armchair. :(

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Armchair outside. Paint-a school, guide group or scout group might welcome it to spruce up a hut /classroom. Men in sheds project? Just a thought. Only there a volunteer would gladly pick it up and someone who possibly even has a CRB.

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
Oh don't throw the paint pod away, their expensive, if you weren't so far away, I'd have it no problem, OH would love it.

Give chair and pod to British Heart Foundation they will take anything so long as it works and if your a tax payer there's gift aid. Recently gave them a 42 plasma tv nothing wrong with it but so heavy was breaking the unit it was on, they sold it for £200.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
I always find this when dealing with people, even if they are getting things for free they still want the earth! When we cleared mum's house I told my brother he would have to deal with selling the things worth anything (he got all the frustration of people changing their mind or not turning up!). Other than that I gave the other things to the British Heart Foundation, they were at least grateful!

P.S when I read your thread title I sat down to have an exciting read about an affair! Disappointed Scarlett....:D:D;) x

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
i think you will find that the 'fussiness' is due to the fact that they intend to flog the things on ebay! It is quite a good little earner these days - especially when you get the things for free.

Fiona

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
i think you will find that the 'fussiness' is due to the fact that they intend to flog the things on ebay! It is quite a good little earner these days - especially when you get the things for free.

Fiona
Gosh I wouldn't have thought of doing that Fiona-it makes those people even cheekier Scarlett.

I'm with you Anongirl-I was expecting some VERY tasty gossip:D:D

Take care

Lyn T

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Gosh I wouldn't have thought of doing that Fiona-it makes those people even cheekier Scarlett.

I'm with you Anongirl-I was expecting some VERY tasty gossip:D:D

Take care

Lyn T

Yes I know ;););) ha ha!! Well the good news is the paint lady came!!!!!

I stood in the hall, opened mouthed, as she unpacked everything from the box, looked through the instructions, and said "these look very complicated, you couldn't show me, could you"!! :eek:

So I firmly said "no, I couldn't", and she then sighed and said "well, ok. I'll take it for you". I'll phone the British Heart Foundation tomorrow, regarding the armchair, and am now going to Hammerite 3 hanging basket brackets.

Have a good-as-you-can Sunday everyone. :)

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Sorry you had such a bad Freecycle experience Scarlett. We've got rid of a few pieces of furniture recently thus way and not had any problems with people letting us down. It can work well.

I hadn't thought about people reselling on e-Bay but to be honest I don't really care, the stuff is gone without me having to pay the council to take it away and put it in landfill.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yeah, Freecycle is great in theory but exhausting in practice. I have offered quite a few things, the people that do answer and say they will take it never turn up and then don't reply to your emails. The only things I got rid of was books, apparently book lovers are a nicer sort (don't think used books make much on ebay). The few times I was interested in an item and emailed a polite enqiry, I didn't even get an answer.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Yeah, Freecycle is great in theory but exhausting in practice. I have offered quite a few things, the people that do answer and say they will take it never turn up and then don't reply to your emails. The only things I got rid of was books, apparently book lovers are a nicer sort (don't think used books make much on ebay). The few times I was interested in an item and emailed a polite enqiry, I didn't even get an answer.

I'm sorry your experience was as bad as mine. :( I shan't use them again. I've unearthed a lot of John's original video equipment, camera, tripod, editing machine, and loads and loads of tapes. As you need the strength of Atlas to carry the video camera, I can't see the wimps of today wanting it, but I'm happy to take it to the charity shop.

They'll probably reject me too!

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
I'd be inclined to look for a local charity which will collect. Our hospice has a shop, but also collects and delivers furniture etc. It would save you a lot of effort.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
My son, who Skyped me tonight from sunny California, suggested I contacted the local camera club, as he was sure there would be one, and he was right. I contacted the secretary, and was telling her some of the things I had, and she asked "do you want to sell this", and I said no, I just wanted it to go to a good home.

And she was thrilled! :) She's coming tomorrow, en route to the weekly meeting, and collecting the lot. :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My sympathies, my sympathies!

I've just been taking loads of books, dvds etc. to the local charity shops, of which, thankfully, there are lots - including two dedicated to furniture. Our local Freecycle group is run on Facebook - and they are quite good. The Administrators keep a firm eye on what's going on, and anyone who doesn't turn up to collect stuff without contacting the giver is given a warning, and if repeated, is turfed off the site. Likewise anyone caught selling on stuff. I've gotten rid of several things through them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba