Medical need v personal care

Gknee

Jan 29, 2014
North of England
Mum lives alone and is self-funding. Her funds are depleting to the point that she will no longer be able to maintain her home.

A consultant from the memory clinic visited recently and was shocked that she would have to pay for a carer to prompt her to take her meds once I return to full- time work ( I have been her only carer for over a year and my own funds are now zero)

She forgets to wear her fall alarm, is no longer able to remember how to use the telephone but refuses to move from her large house.

She does not wish to enact POA, and in any event this is problematic as the solicitor who drew up the documents is now bankrupt and I have many hoops to jump through and letters to write in order to trace the documents.

Can anyone tell me where the boundary lies between personal care ( which mum has to pay for according to the social worker), and medical need ( she will become very ill if she doesn't take her meds) ?

Thank you

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Get writing and find the POA documents NOW- will be hell on earth if they cant be found when you need them

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Has your mum had a financial assessment she shouldn't be left with no money, I would ask for one for her and a needs assessment as well,

Gknee

Jan 29, 2014
North of England
Thank you

Thanks to you both. I have just started the paper trail for the POA.

She had a financial assessment some time ago but her needs are changing dramatically. She can't have a higher rate DLA though as she is fine so far at night. Her money is spent on community meals once a day and a cleaner once a fortnight. There doesn't appear to be any help for someone who can't reliably self-medicate. So far I have managed by setting up night time meds for her, and hiding the daytime ones then calling her to prompt her to find them. I can't do this when I am working. She has recently begun to take anything she finds during the day then forgetting, so I have hidden everything except what she needs each day.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I would say she needs another assessment as to the help she needs and when she needs it. When that is sorted then a financial assessment will follow to determine how much she can afford to pay towards the care she needs.

Have you applied for attendance allowance for her. If she requires help either during the day or at night or both then depending on how much help then she may qualify and this money used towards paying for some care. I am sure it is not means tested.

This consultant being shocked at paying for care just goes to prove how little these 'professionals' know about dementia once the person living with dementia steps outside of their office.

Last edited:

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Not only attendance allowance but she is also eligible for council tax waiver due to mental impairment, that adds up to quite a good contribution to the costs. Social services should then do a needs assessment plus a financial assessment to calculate what budget they will provide towards her care. If savings are under £14,000 basic care should be fully funded by them, anything above the basic care she should be able to pay for out of the AA plus council tax waiver.

Good luck

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
She does not wish to enact POA, and in any event this is problematic as the solicitor who drew up the documents is now bankrupt and I have many hoops to jump through and letters to write in order to trace the documents.

Thank you

Even if a solicitor goes bankrupt or closes, there are strict procedures about what happens to all their archived files. If you get no joy from the solicitor, or they don't respond reasonably quickly, contact the Solicitors Regulation Authority and they will be able to advise you.