What do you miss the most

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
What do you miss the most from pre- dementia days?

I miss the discussions we used to have which sometimes carried on til the early hours:) Politics/sport/literature/music/ourselves-we could talk for England:D

Scrabble-very competitive;)

Meals out-mmm lovely

Days out

Holidays-we used to be frequent travelers

Music and concerts

Our easy, close relationship-I'm beginning to forget what it was once like

Take care

Lyn T

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I miss having a sensible conversation, Allen always says "I was only joking" if anyone dare contradict him, he turns everything into a joke and thinks everyone should find it funny as well, even when it isn't he gets annoyed when people don't laugh,

Beret

Sep 14, 2013
Merseyside
All those things. Walking in the park, holding hands, someone to share my thoughts and unload when I come home from work. Reading together in bed. Hugs and cuddles. Date nights.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Ability to make me laugh and the shared jokes, meaningless to anyone else.It still shows just occasionally. Other things I don't want to remember, the loss is ever present.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I too miss the conversation and the shared 'in jokes'. I know I'm lucky to have what we still have but I do miss these.

Oh yes - having someone to care for and look after me.

Meg the Mog

May 20, 2014
East Yorkshire
I miss my Dad's daft sense of humour..which we shared...and his cringe-worthy corny jokes. :p His whistling a favourite tune; his sense of fun. All gone, except occasionally, when I prompt him with the first line of one of the daft limericks he used to recite, he will say the rest of it. "The boy stood on the burning deck...." for example. :)

To be honest, I just miss my Dad, who was always there for me and could sort anything out. Now the roles are reversed and I miss the man he was.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
My grand-daughter and I have just been watching one of my ancient holiday videos, from 1990. She, of course, is laughing like a drain. John and I went on a European coach tour, 6 countries in 8 days, and he carried the camera, which, like our mobile phone, weighed a ton.

At times I was permitted to use it, and to see my darling John, strong, smiling, talking about the places we were at, is both magical, poignant and heart breaking. Like others have said, I miss the easy conversation, I miss someone to do up my necklace, or zip up a dress, being told, every day "you look lovely", the easy silences, the endless chat, the interest in discussing something as mundane, but magical, as to which bedding plants would go where.

I was never called by my name, always "love", "darling" or others affectionate words. And now it's a good day if he knows who I am.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Like Grannie G, the sharing. The parties, we were known for good ones!, the bridge evenings (cards in one hand, glass in the other!), his whistling which drove me mad sometimes but I haven't heard for years. The shiver at the sight of him on occasion.
We were a partnership, me ideas, him technical. We propped each other up. Very much a complementary couple. Now......
I hate, hate this disease.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Yes it's mainly the sensible conversation and sharing family news and anecdotes, getting advice on important decisions and not having to think what I'm saying as it may cause even more confusion. Watching TV together and OH not thinking it's all happening to him. Sadly it does quickly become difficult to really remember how he used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I always read the newspapers to Tom, and we would have big discussions about the news, we also had BBC's news channel on a lot.

The last news item that he had any grasp of at all was the Japanese Tsunami.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
The love, support and companionship.The laughter and even the cross words. The travel, cuddles. I could go on endlessly. Mustn't forget having someone to blame everything on!!

Sent from my GT-N5110