Who am I now?

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Today there has been quite a few reflective posts as we all come to terms with where we are now.

I don't know who I am now!

I am Tom's wife.. Yes..

After 25 years I am no longer his carer 24/7.

His day to day life doesn't involve me.

What he wears, what he eats is no longer anything to do with me.

He knows who I am and is so pleased to see me, his words, 'I am so grateful you came to see me'

Tom is safe, not happy but safe, which I could no longer guarantee, I could not provide a safe environment but it doesn't mean I am at ease with how things are now.

Like so many here on TP I have to find me again.

I have forgotten how it feels to do what I want when I want.

I have forgotten how to be me.

I could just go out tomorrow and do as I wish, but I don't wish, but I know I have to one day.

Me who am I?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Aw Helen. It must be very hard. I suppose it will take a while to 'find' yourself again. x

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
If you have had the strength to look after your husband all of these years you are a valuable member of your family and the community. You are not a lost soul who needs to be found but you probably need to give yourself a little of the thought and attention you gave Tom. I am in awe of women who hold it all together as you have done and certain you will go on to find new ways to live.

My very good wishes to you.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
When William and I recently saw a doctor at an Age Related (Medical) clinic, and the doctor was discussing the fact that William will shortly be going in to full time care, he said that it will of course bring changes to my life. "It will be a big change for you" he said "and you will have to take time to come to terms with it. You will no longer be responsible for William's day to day care, as you have been 24/7, because his needs are now more complex and greater than you can deal with on your own. However", he went on, " you will always be his advocate and it will be up to you to make sure that things are running the way they should be in the nursing home as regards his care." - and he went on to say that it will be a time for spending time visiting with William but making sure I make a life for myself too - and of course, that this would take time. But, as he said, there will be time. No rush.

So, there's a bit of wisdom for you, second hand. No rush. Take your time.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
If you have had the strength to look after your husband all of these years you are a valuable member of your family and the community. You are not a lost soul who needs to be found but you probably need to give yourself a little of the thought and attention you gave Tom. I am in awe of women who hold it all together as you have done and certain you will go on to find new ways to live.

My very good wishes to you.

Thank you.

Like so many here on TP I know I have to adapt and move forward, when I have figured out how to do that!

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Helen you are Tom's hero and now is the time to be your own best friend. All the wise words you have imparted to the lost and desperate on here you now need to revisit to hear yourself speak. That is the person you are, warm, compassionate, insightful. You are still Tom's wife but are no longer defined by his needs. It's a bit like moving to the other side of the world, a new life awaits.

Hugs xxx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hi Helen,
You are:
Still Tom's carer in that you are the most important person in his life. Ok others are doing the practical stuff round the clock but you are still there for him. Don't belittle that.

You are:
A good friend to many - don't under estimate yourself!

So now you should have more time for yourself and the difficulty is knowing how and what to do. I am a firm believer in not trying too hard to find a life - it will happen. It is important though to mix with others and not become a recluse which is so darned easy to do in our situations.

Why not consider your Spanish class again ? in September.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
When William and I recently saw a doctor at an Age Related (Medical) clinic, and the doctor was discussing the fact that William will shortly be going in to full time care, he said that it will of course bring changes to my life. "It will be a big change for you" he said "and you will have to take time to come to terms with it. You will no longer be responsible for William's day to day care, as you have been 24/7, because his needs are now more complex and greater than you can deal with on your own. However", he went on, " you will always be his advocate and it will be up to you to make sure that things are running the way they should be in the nursing home as regards his care." - and he went on to say that it will be a time for spending time visiting with William but making sure I make a life for myself too - and of course, that this would take time. But, as he said, there will be time. No rush.

So, there's a bit of wisdom for you, second hand. No rush. Take your time.

Advocate yes I like that.. Pretty much what the care home staff say.

It has become a sort of competition between the CH staff and me as to whom can get Tom out of his room and down for meals.

I know that it is their job, but as far as I can see they all take it seriously but with an element of humour where they can.

Sometime the fact that Tom is blind is not a bad thing, we can all do facial expressions to each other without upsetting Tom in any way.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Helen you are Tom's hero and now is the time to be your own best friend. All the wise words you have imparted to the lost and desperate on here you now need to revisit to hear yourself speak. That is the person you are, warm, compassionate, insightful. You are still Tom's wife but are no longer defined by his needs. It's a bit like moving to the other side of the world, a new life awaits.

Hugs xxx

Not sure you are talking about me?

But thank you I know I need to move forward from here xx

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi Helen,
You are:
Still Tom's carer in that you are the most important person in his life. Ok others are doing the practical stuff round the clock but you are still there for him. Don't belittle that.

You are:
A good friend to many - don't under estimate yourself!

So now you should have more time for yourself and the difficulty is knowing how and what to do. I am a firm believer in not trying too hard to find a life - it will happen. It is important though to mix with others and not become a recluse which is so darned easy to do in our situations.

Why not consider your Spanish class again ? in September.

Thank You

I hope it will happen that I get a new life, but as you say it is so easy to become a recluse, that I could do easily.

I'm going to the caravan on Thursday, difficult as that is as all the people we have known for 20years have moved on.

BUT I have been going there for 40years, can't quit without a fight.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Know how you feel, Nellebells. You express it so eloquently. Fred in residential care now and am totally lost. Good friends say "well now you can comeback and do whatever" but have got so used to solitary life am reluctant to do so. Like you I know I must and , also like you, will eventually pluck up the courage to do so. Best wishes. Verity

Sent from my GT-N5110

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
He knows who I am and is so pleased to see me, his words, 'I am so grateful you came to see me'
Helen, you are still involved with Tom's care.
Not as before and not as much but you are still the person who knows him best.
You know what food he likes and which clothes he finds more comfortable.
You can ensure that he is warm enough or cool enough.
He needs you and that makes you so important in his life.
However, the worry and intensity of the care you gave Tom has eased.
You had to fight so hard for that and to make sure that Tom was safe.
That's lifted a massively heavy burden from your poor shoulders and it will take some time to adjust.
Just let yourself be whoever you are at any given moment.
Just be you. xxx

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I am lost
I've gone to look for myself
If I should return before I get back
Please ask me to wait.

Hi Helen,

My husband went into his nursing home 2 years ago next month.

I am still in limbo, I suppose I stay at home too much, but it is what I want to do. My friends understand and they continue to involve me in their outings and respect my decision to say no thank you from time to time. They assure me they will keep asking .

Take your time, do it your way. We can't go back to a life we knew, it has to be a new one and if we are to enjoy it it has to be the right one.

I have never lived alone, I went from my parents home to the house we live in now. So for 67 years I have lived with someone. It took me a while after my husband went into care to be brave enough to leave a bedroom window open at night.

Enjoy your caravan Helen, being comfortable with in what you do is important, not when you do it.

Take care

Jay

sad&lonely

Aug 22, 2014
Yorkshire
Reflection:- Who I am now.

Your message could be a reflection of my life since Alz' took over my Husband's life.
To look after someone, to be that person's 'carer', as many of us are, or were, is like living two live's in one brain. We have to choose what they eat, what they wear, where they go (or we go as a couple), We know their preferences and we try to keep as much normallity in their lives as possible. It's like being the proverbial duck. On the surface we try to appear calm, unruffled, in controll. Underneath we are paddling like mad, panicking over what once were trivial things. Anything just to 'keep up appearances'. We are afraid to let go, to cry, to shout, to let the mask slip. I am writing this with tears in my eyes. For you, for me, for everyone caught up in this treadmill. Then when they go into the nursing home system we are at the same time 'relieved', the pressures off, we can come and go as we please, we suddenly screech to a halt as we realise the places and faces we used to know, to see, to visit are just that, places WE USED TO GO ETC. After so many years together, we are on our own. The friends we had slip away, they are still a couple, a unit. The nursing home now 'take over'. They don't keep to the routine that we have so carefully written down for them to follow. We visit, only to find him/her, sitting in a chair oblivious to the surrounding residents in their chairs, and horror of horrors! he's wearing clothes that are not his own, not the ones I chose for hiim, not the ones I co-ordinated with his trousers etc. Oh yes, I feel anger, I complain to the office, I am affronted for him. Gradually the system takes over and we start accepting that he now eats what they give him/her, things that he would have once baulked at. The person we knew turns into part of their regime, their smooth running routine. Bless them, they do their best. And then? we suddenly think, "Who am I?" no longer a wife, a carer, part of a couple. We frantically search on line or bend the ears of other organizations who seem to know what we need to do, where we can get help and support, but the fact is, we are 'broken', we are now classed as two single people by the Government, (for the sake of the smooth running of their great machine of what allowances we are entitled to etc) and woe betide us if in our grief and our loss, or confusion, we give or offer the wrong information on their endless 'forms to fill in', or we forget to declare an increase in some meagre allowance. We seem to be in a sea of paperwork at a time when all we need is to recover our senses. And now what? I join an art group, regain the talents I never had time to do when I was a wife and mother. I go for walks, I buy stuff for the sake of it, I wander round the shops aimlessly, remembering the times I had to keep an eye on 'him' because he kept shoving things in his pockets, which I'd find later and wonder where they they came from. I renew my faith in a God who seemed to have forgotten or forsaken me, and I'm suddenly grateful that I'm still standing, I look back and see how far I've come, what obstacles I've surmounted through grit and determination, I am a person again and I feel like I've just crossed the Jordan, I shake the mud of the past off my feet and I finally stand on solid ground again. I have come far and the journey and terrain changes, I am me, I'm a strong, caring loving human being who has done everything I could humanly do in a bad, confusing, difficult situation. I can hold my head up and be proud of my achievements, every new ground broken. Every hard decision made, the sun comes out and I look up and say Thank you.

I am Tom's wife.. Yes..

Tom is safe, not happy but safe, which I could no longer guarantee, I could not provide a safe environment but it doesn't mean I am at ease with how things are now.

I could just go out tomorrow and do as I wish, but I don't wish, but I know I have to one day.

Me who am I?[/QUOTE]

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
A lovely post sad&lonely, putting in to words what a lot of peoples lives are like now that dementia has made an appearance and caused so much disruption,
Sorry I forgot to say Welcome to Talking Point
Best wishes Jeany x

Last edited:

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Welcome sad and lonely,

You have put down so clearly the journey, one that I too have trodden and am still trying to find my feet and I am glad to say I am getting there. Yes lots if people dropped away but several friends stayed close and picked me up and we are now back where we were before dementia. I will be eternally grateful to these 3 friends.

I will also be eternally grateful Alzheimer's Society for giving me the opportunity to be able to have somewhere to come where I am understood, whether I am bemoaning some disaster or shouting loud about the wonderful care my husband receives.

I have had the good fortune to meet some of the members which is wonderful but there are also more cyber members who have helped me through the nine years my husband as been diagnosed.

So sad and lonely there are new friends here, who understand your feelings, who will listen to whatever you want to say and still be your friends.

Take care,

Jay

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.

Me who am I?

I don’t know I came to miss this post, change the name and gender and it could have been written by me. I fear I can offer no answers to help, but I understand exactly what you are saying and how you are feeling. I have been in this limbo land for two years now and, apart from largely unsatisfactory daily visits, am still no nearer finding out how to live life on my own.
Go on a cruise people say, do this, do that, do the other. But all the time, in my mind’s eye, I see my wife sat in a CH. wondering where she is and why she is there.
On another thread I confessed to remorse for sometimes wishing my wife dead and so free from her suffering and daily indignity. But quite selfishly I realise that I would then be in an even worse case than I am now. It’s like some dreadful Chinese torture to realise that I want my wife to go on suffering so that I will not be alone.
I read sadandlonely’s post with interest and wished I too could feel as she does now having crossed the Jordan, with a renewed faith in God. I see no God's hand in this life that I would want to grasp.
As I prepare for another visit, not knowing how I will be greeted, I just feel weary, with a great pity for all those suffering this cruelty at the end of their lives. I shall return home after the visit, fit only to sit, with no energy or interest in doing anything else.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds

Hugs xxx

Moving to the other side of the world might be a bit too far; how about moving to the other side of the room at a party? Before Dementia struck I used to like seeing my husband across the room, enjoying the company of others. And I could talk with other people about things that didn't interest him. When the time comes, I hope it will feel a it like that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger