Daily Express petition to stop the high cost of Hospital Parking Fees

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
Signed - Over 12 days during dads last hospital stay I spent best part of £100 in parking fees. :(
Plus a £60 ticket on a Sunday for parking on double yellows for 20 mins whilst I ran back to the ward because I forgot something. They have a team of street wardens that hide everywhere on the streets around the hospital just waiting to jump out and catch you.:mad:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My husband spent 9 weeks in hospital when he had a triple bypass, it was nearly 30 miles each way, I was taken by one of my children and dropped off or they stayed with me every day, We spent a fortune on petrol and parking fees, on the last week he was there a nurse said I am not supposed to say this but if anyone is in hospital for a long while there is a concessionary parking ticket that you can get weekly, it would have saved us a fortune as it was £10 pound a week instead of £7 a day and this was 10 years ago so a it was a lot of money and worry,

it wasn't written down anywhere and had to be asked for which I thought ridiculous at the time and I spent 2 hours waiting to see someone and filling in forms when I needed to be with my very ill husband,
He was only in one week after this, I would advise anyone who has someone in hospital for a while to ask if they do a similar thing,

I thought I would just add that I was made to feel a nuisance for asking and the way they went on they had not done it many times before, I nearly gave up when they left me sitting while they went to look for the form and never came back for ages but I didn't know how long he would be in hospital and even a for week or two it would save a lot, after paying the money I was eventually given a ticket to put on the car which lasted a week, it could be renewed without filling in any more forms.

Last edited:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I have signed too. Also made sure there were no ticks in the three boxes as there was one discreetly ticked already and I did not want to be bombarded with stuff from DE.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I have signed too. Also made sure there were no ticks in the three boxes as there was one discreetly ticked already and I did not want to be bombarded with stuff from DE.

Yes I noticed that I should have mentioned it,x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
The article says that car parking fees have been abolished in Scotland. I am totally sure that this is not the case. Well not at our local hospital and it is a very large teaching hospital.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Yes thank you Celia I read about it yesterday, I hope something is done, it causes a lot of worry and hardship when people have enough to worry about with seriously ill relations,

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Hello jeany
Have done the petition and like others I am very annoyed about the parking charges
I have a disabled permit so I generally do not have to pay when friends or family take me to hospital for out patient visits
But during the periods when I am an inpatient I get a bit embarrassed when my visitors often have to pay £4+for the 'privilege of visiting me
This was particularly embarrassing when I was in hospital for over 3months earlier in the year
visiting twice a week could easily cost them £ 8+ for parking ,plus petrol and the inevitable little gifts
I is a scandal when you have to discreetly discourage them from coming more often ( even if you would like them to) and you know they will say 'don't be silly 'if you say anything
Lets hope the current campaign has some success

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hi Jimbo my husband has a blue disabled permit but the places are always full so we have to pay anyway, in all the times we have been going to the hospital we have managed to use a disabled parking space once and that is because son dropped us off at the main entrance waited outside and got one while we went for the appointment, if anyone had seen him they would be complaining because Allen wasn't in the car,

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Hi Jimbo my husband has a blue disabled permit but the places are always full so we have to pay anyway, in all the times we have been going to the hospital we have managed to use a disabled parking space once and that is because son dropped us off at the main entrance waited outside and got one while we went for the appointment, if anyone had seen him they would be complaining because Allen wasn't in the car,

Some people with disabled permits can be a bit 'tiresome'
Some years ago before I had a permit I used to take my wife and her sister for an afternoon out to a garden centre ,Sister had to use a wheel chair (and wife had AD )I used to park temporarily in a disabled parking spot, go find a wheelchair, then leave them while I found a normal parking space
So many times I was berated by 'disabled drivers for parking ,but even when I explained my dilemma , they would just Huff and walk away as if they didn't believe me

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Some people with disabled permits can be a bit 'tiresome'
Some years ago before I had a permit I used to take my wife and her sister for an afternoon out to a garden centre ,Sister had to use a wheel chair (and wife had AD )I used to park temporarily in a disabled parking spot, go find a wheelchair, then leave them while I found a normal parking space
So many times I was berated by 'disabled drivers for parking ,but even when I explained my dilemma , they would just Huff and walk away as if they didn't believe me

I know a man who got a blue badge in his mid 20's due to knee problems and he was restricted on how far he could walk.
When he got out of the car he looked young and fit I think he swam about 5 times a week.
People gave him abuse when he parked in a disabled space.

William

handyjack

Oct 6, 2011
We had to go to Nottingham City Hospital the other week to visit our grandson (cystic fibrosis, so spends a few weeks every 3 -4 months in there) Charges are now £3.40p for one hours car parking (on what looks like a piece of wasteland). You bet I've signed the petition.