First wet bed, next step?

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
The previous 2 nights I have discovered that B has wee'd on the carpet in his bedroom in front of the radiator, but had no recollection and blamed it on 'one of the others'. Last night I woke to hear him moving around and found him in just his underpants and a pullover, in bed, saying that everything was very damp and he couldn't understand it. He had removed his very soggy PJs but was sitting in the wee. Unfortunately I was completely unprepared for this event and had no mistress (meant mattress, but if he's got a mistress she deserves to get wet too!!) protection so now have to try and dry it out.

So, obviously I need to get waterproof mattress protection now but do I wait until it happens again or assume that he now needs to wear pads at night. I know loads of you cope with incontinence but how did you cope when it first started?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Last edited:

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Hi Jinx

With my MIL who lives with us I pre-emptied the situation. I got the mattress protector, removed carpet from bedroom and put vinyl down (for easy cleaning). After the first incontinence I asked the GP for a District Nurse to come and assess for pads which we have delivered. I put a pad on MIL whether she really needs it day and night because when she is incontinent its such a huge clean up situation and also I didn't want a 'smelly' house

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Would he agree to go for an appointment to talk with a continence nurse? Your GP should be able to refer to this service. I think in some areas the nurse visits your home but we have to go to the clinic. It wouldl be good to get advice re what might be appropriate products for his particular situation. My husband was also prescribed medication to reduce the urge to urinate so much through the night. I'm not sure it works! Until you can get such an appointment I would consider seeing if he will wear pads or pull up pants.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Thank you all, I will follow up all suggestions. Advice much appreciated.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
>>>Kylie sheets<<< are very good

May not be the best price, there are also other high absorbency products.

The continence nurse has told me not to use these as well as other continence pads or products. She said that both the sheet and the product will be drawing moisture from him and that will compromise his skin!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
The continence nurse has told me not to use these as well as other continence pads or products. She said that both the sheet and the product will be drawing moisture from him and that will compromise his skin!

I don't understand that Izzy, how does it work :)

geordie

May 11, 2010
Don't forget about protecting the skin from urine - GP can prescribe sth like Cavilon

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I agree, I find it an interesting one. Something to do with osmosis I suppose:confused:

I discussed that with the CPN today. She couldn't understand it either. Kylie is coming out of storage!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
We had a talk by the continence nurse at our Alzheimer's society monthly meeting and she said she could no stress strongly enough that the right absorbency should be used. If a pad that could hold more urine than was being expelled was used then skin would be compromised as the absorbing partials would continue to draw liquid from the skin causing breakdown.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We had a talk by the continence nurse at our Alzheimer's society monthly meeting and she said she could no stress strongly enough that the right absorbency should be used. If a pad that could hold more urine than was being expelled was used then skin would be compromised as the absorbing partials would continue to draw liquid from the skin causing breakdown.

I know that's what our one is getting at. Having said that when the maxi slip is soaked through at 1am I feel justified in changing it to a new one. She doesn't want me to do this.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland

But how do you know how much he's going to do on a given day or time? William can go all day without wetting - but will often flood the pad at night. Or equally, can only do a small amount at night and then flood the pad next day. And as he won't allow me to change him all day, he has to use eight hour pads.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Not sure what 8 hour pads are. The ones we get are Tena Comfort maxi slips. They are categorised by absorbency levels not hours. An 8 hour one would be brilliant overnight! Bill now has a sheath and leg bag for through the day. The night bag didn't work as he pulled it out more often than not.

He passes lots of urine day and night! As he had urinary retention in November and had to have a temporary catheter he is on Alfulozin (or something that sounds like that. It's like Tamulosin). Also furosemide so he does pee a lot!

When he did have the night bag and kept it in there was a litre in the bag in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well, William's pads are referred to as "8 hour" pads, but on the package they are done by absorbancy too. Can't remember how much they hold. He was on a diuretic for a short while because of his fluid retention (congestive heart failure), but he didn't like wetting so much, and stopped drinking! Also, for some reason he kept complaining of back pain while on the diuretic, & the doctor said that while he had never come across that side effect before, he couldn't ignore it, and at William's age, the slight heart failure might be the lesser of the two evils.

Sent from my C1905 using Talking Point mobile app

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Well, no urine infection, so mattress protector bought and on the bed and himself in pull-ups without a murmur tonight. We shall see what occurs!

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Jinx.
With my mum the incontinence came on sort of gradually. though of course it can happen suddenly

Hopefully the Continence nurse will be out to you soon and is able to provide you with suitable products.
Whilst waiting for the visit it might be better to buy incontinence products or bed protection online, as you can fill out their VAT exemption form and not have to pay the VAT.