Mobile phone dilemma

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
My wife has had a mobile phone for a number of years (can not say the name but it could be a fruit juice) but she has been forgetting to understand how to use it lately, everything is a massive problem

So, a couple of days ago I decided to trade in her 'fruit' phone for a well known search engine one (top of the range all singing all dancing, does everything type)

Well My OH only wants to be able to make calls to 6 family members so my son and I spent the day setting up this all singing and dancing phone to disable all Apps, email, SMS, settings etc. to turn it into a phone that only makes calls, does nothing else but makes calls

I found an app that has 6 big buttons (on the start up screen) that you can put a picture of the person she wants to call so all she has to do now is to push the side button to turn it on, then tap a face to call, that's it, this is all that this phone will do, it will only call and receive calls to and from the 6 people that is on the phone now

It will not take calls from any other number that is not in her contact information, it will not accept e-mail or SMS messages and she can not change or add anything extra as the settings / options is protected by a password known only to myself and my son.

Well, after turning everything off my son and I looked at each other and said "Really" but when we gave it to my wife she was so impressed she cried

Basically she has a phone that has 6 pictures and when she taps a picture it immediately calls the person she wants to talk to

It was the best £100 I have ever spent (+£8 for the App)

Last edited:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
It sounds as though you and your son solved the dilemma, what a good idea for anyone who can work out how to use it, I think even -easy to use mobiles - must be complicated for some people with dementia, well done for finding something that works,

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
You have been more successful than I was!! I recent found my mum's old, old nokia that i had programmed to press 1 for me and 2 for my brother. My mother couldnt master this. We thought it was because she was getting old - pre dementia diagnosis!

When I visit now I show her photos on my Apple phone and she says "I wouldn,t mind one of those"

It is sad she used to "google" and email. I was proud that my mother then aged 85 could master this. Now it is all gone.

The app sounds really good for n earlier stage though :)

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
This sounds fantastic Dave :D

I wish I could do something similar for mum, but signal is so variable where she lives, that might prevent her getting through, and she'd think she couldn't work the thing :(
Well, maybe she couldn't, actually......

Anyway, well done xx

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
It sounds as though you and your son solved the dilemma, what a good idea for anyone who can work out how to use it, I think even -easy to use mobiles - must be complicated for some people with dementia, well done for finding something that works,

Wife, mobile, 1 year ago, no problems, since then it will not go in and stay in no matter how I explained it

Another side affect of AD I am getting used to

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
This sounds fantastic Dave :D

I wish I could do something similar for mum, but signal is so variable where she lives, that might prevent her getting through, and she'd think she couldn't work the thing :(
Well, maybe she couldn't, actually......

Anyway, well done xx

Yep this is a problem I have not encountered (so far) it is easy for non AD suffer to realise that there are no signal bars to the carrier but to an AD sufferer this would be a problem I agree

I just keep trying to keep up with the condition my OH is suffering from to give here the freedom that she needs and requires

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
Am I allowed to mention an App's name or will it be classed as advertising?

It's great to hear when something has been really useful, so please name it. Advertising is out but personal endorsement should be OK.

Personal endorsement of a product or service that may be of benefit to our users may be permitted
Talking Point Help
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/faq.php?faq=about_talking_point#faq_keytalkingpointforumrules

The app you're talking about sounds similar to an 'AlzheimerPhone' app someone posted about before:

Dementia friendly mobile phones
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?50525

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
And you're doing a great job Dave!

My mum was struggling with her landline phone so my brother bought her a simple phone with big buttons. He told her to press 1 for him and 2 for me. Unfortunately she just couldn't grasp this and started pressing 123 constantly thinking she could reach us. She ran up a huge phone bill!

So difficult to solve some problems but it sounds like you might be onto a winner there!

X

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
If I am allowed to endorse an App without the fear of reprisals for advertising then the App I have been talking about is Big Launcher which is a free App, however, the Big Launcher Pro version, costs £8 which gives you all the settings I have been doing to make my wife's phone usage as easy as possible

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Looks a brilliant AP :)

only for android phones

I tried to find it for my I phone but it doesn't seem available for it

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
Looks a brilliant AP :)

only for android phones

I tried to find it for my I phone but it doesn't seem available for it

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Ahh, yes, you are correct

I Sold my wife's "i" device to a well known online phone buyer (in the post) got loads of money for it and used that money to buy the android, app and a Sim card with a monthly goodie bag of £5 per month with the ability to top up whenever she wants (I do this though)

With my "i" devices (I have 3 of them) to which I am also selling and migrating away from the restrictive "i" so I can use Apps that will talk to the phone automatically rather than blocking most apps without user interference

By selling 3 of my devices for 1 super device, set up and a good monthly contract I have saved around £300 in all and for a better service on 2 phones

All the above are thanks to my Son as I typically throw or give away discarded electronics, so thanks Son!

Last edited:

StephT

Apr 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing this information with us Dave. My husband has had a simple mobile phone but was having difficulty with scrolling through the menu to find the person he wanted to phone. So after reading this thread I bought a second hand smartphone, downloaded the app and set it up. My husband is absolutely delighted and immediately phoned his sister to tell her how easy it was to use.