Carers health

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
Well there's a side effect of caring for Mum at home that my sister and I hadn't considered - Vitamin D deficiency!

Last edited:

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I take Calcium and Ergocalciferol every couple of days, I use it more for winter to prevent chilblains (it works), you are supposed to crush it but I swallow it and it does no harm, and it gives me my vitamin D (and calcium) when the sun isn't out. Maybe its something you can look into, you will need to ask the chemist for it as its behind the counter, costs just under £10 for 28 tablets but there is a cheaper version (well under £5) but difficult to get hold of.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
This is a warning to all of us. I get out a lot with my husband but I am trying very hard just now to stop worrying about a domestic matter that is causing my blood pressure to rise.

Deep breathing and white wine feature highly in my approach. This is not a perfect combination but I cannot come up with anything better while I am stressed!

There should be an annual health check for carers

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Vitamin D deficiency is quite rare. Most people over-estimate how much sunshine you need - basically in the summer months twenty minutes twice weekly exposing the vare face and forearms are sufficient. The twenty minutes can be in short sessions and this helps to avoid the increased risk of skin cancer caused by solar ultraviolet.

These times can be even shorter if greater areas os skin are exposed. Sunscreens block the UV that stimulates D production so it is a question of unprotected exposure but only for short periods.

Simply walking to and from the shops a couple of times a week with a short-sleeved top is probably enough.

This in only an average, very fair caucasian people can make do with less but black people can need more.

You can also get a good amount of D from oily fish (which are recommended for many reasons), also many cereals and powdered milks contain D supplements.

Generally speaking I think tablet supplements are a waste of time and money, unless advised by a doctor to address a known deficiency. The body can store excess amounts of certain fat-soluble vitamins, but on the whole, any vitamin or mineral in excess or requirements is excreted. Many people taking the tablets are literally flushing money down the toilet :)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Vitamin D deficiency is quite rare. Most people over-estimate how much sunshine you need - basically in the summer months twenty minutes twice weekly exposing the vare face and forearms are sufficient. The twenty minutes can be in short sessions and this helps to avoid the increased risk of skin cancer caused by solar ultraviolet.

These times can be even shorter if greater areas os skin are exposed. Sunscreens block the UV that stimulates D production so it is a question of unprotected exposure but only for short periods.

Simply walking to and from the shops a couple of times a week with a short-sleeved top is probably enough.

This in only an average, very fair caucasian people can make do with less but black people can need more.

You can also get a good amount of D from oily fish (which are recommended for many reasons), also many cereals and powdered milks contain D supplements.

Generally speaking I think tablet supplements are a waste of time and money, unless advised by a doctor to address a known deficiency. The body can store excess amounts of certain fat-soluble vitamins, but on the whole, any vitamin or mineral in excess or requirements is excreted. Many people taking the tablets are literally flushing money down the toilet :)

I take at least 3 holidays abroad per year - the last one the sun didn't shine for only one day

I have vitamin D deficiency as diagnosed by my doc

I have just started the supplements so not really noticed any major change, but I do feel less blurrgh - only description I can think of

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
So, if you eat an appropriate diet and you get adequate sunlight what other factors cause a deficit in vitamin D?

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
So, if you eat an appropriate diet and you get adequate sunlight what other factors cause a deficit in vitamin D?

No idea. Asked GP why and she said "some people are like that" or some such useful statement :)

I originally went to see her because the skin on my legs felt "funny" numb. Strangely since taking the supplements, the "funny" numb is less.

Think my immune system is low too after having 3 nasty viruses in a row... vit D helps the immune system too

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Do you have to have direct exposure to sunlight? My mum cannot leave the house because of poor mobility. She sits by a large bay window so is getting light stimulation, but through glass. She's only been out twice in the last 6 months, by ambulance transport and the men had to carry her out because she can't walk down steps.

We hope to get a ramp built for her wheelchair but it might not happen until the autumn because I haven't got Guardianship and this is local authority grant aided works that requires either her signature or that of a Guardian. Should we be sitting her in her wheelchair with the front door open for a couple of short sessions of direct sunlight every week?

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Do you have to have direct exposure to sunlight? My mum cannot leave the house because of poor mobility. She sits by a large bay window so is getting light stimulation, but through glass. She's only been out twice in the last 6 months, by ambulance transport and the men had to carry her out because she can't walk down steps.

We hope to get a ramp built for her wheelchair but it might not happen until the autumn because I haven't got Guardianship and this is local authority grant aided works that requires either her signature or that of a Guardian. Should we be sitting her in her wheelchair with the front door open for a couple of short sessions of direct sunlight every week?

I have just read an article Katrine which says through a window is not enough. It is probably too late for a lot of old people but we have been taking cod liver oil capsules each day for the last 20 years and the article says cod liver oil and oily fish are the best sources of Vitamin D in food.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Oh that's good, she eats plenty of fish. I know the oily fish contains more Omega 3 but I heard on The Food Programme that you get it in all fish. I'll make sure she gets oily fish regularly.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford

Taking statins reduces your vitamin D levels so much so that although I spend quite a bit of time outside and love fish I was told I had low vitamin D and put on supplements, the doctor said it was down to the statins. Google it, it's quite widely known but most doctors don't seem to check for it based on asking around my friends on statins.
K

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
There are other causes of Vitamin D deficiency as well. Taking steroids for conditions like asthma and arthritis is one of them.

I had a lot of bone pain last year - ouch - my GP did blood tests and I was found to be very deficient in Vit D. I now take heavy-dose supplements on prescription and the pain is on the whole rather less - and I feel better in general.

I agree - we need to look after ourselves better :)