Online Course - Understanding Dementia

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That does look interesting Izzy what does it involve, how does it work,

I really don't know Jeany! I signed up without reading much about it! I would imagine that there will be weekly online units. We would probably have to read/work our way through these. It says it should involve about 3 hours a week over a 9 week period.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I really don't know Jeany! I signed up without reading much about it! I would imagine that there will be weekly online units. We would probably have to read/work our way through these. It says it should involve about 3 hours a week over a 9 week period.

Oh thank you Izzy, I read it but couldn't understand what it involved, doesn't bode good for me does it :rolleyes:

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I signed up, didn't look what was involved.

still if it can get my brain working a bit, maybe a good thing at the moment!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I got a email about it in my junk mail, all of you who registered might like to check in theirs in case they miss it x

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
I'm sure I read about it on here???? Anyway, I started last week and think it's amazing. There is (for me) some hard stuff but it's really well presented and if you get stuck, you can go back over the material until it makes sense.

See you on line:D

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I'm sure I read about it on here???? Anyway, I started last week and think it's amazing. There is (for me) some hard stuff but it's really well presented and if you get stuck, you can go back over the material until it makes sense.

See you on line:D

Oh I must have missed the first week I forgot about it and have just seen the email,

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I just saw the email as well Jeany! I thought we would get an email to give us the link to the first week of the course. Now I can't get into it. I've tried all my user names and they're not working! I've emailed for a password reminder in case it's that but have had no reply. Trust me!

sheila55

Feb 6, 2014
I just registered today although the course started last week. It's not too late as you can just "catch up".

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Ah, I wondered why I hadn't heard anything. Thanks for the 'heads up' Izzy - I just found the email in my spam folder too.

I used the link and was able to log on to the course fine. It's definitely not too late to take part.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Got an email this morning to say that registration stays open until mid April so you can still sign up if you forgot.

The idea of "weeks" is a bit fluid. Week 1 is really an introduction helping you find your way round the MOOC and I finished it quite quickly so went on to "week" 2/3 early as I knew it would be much harder for me to get to grips with. There's a small quiz at the end of each unit and you have to pass it in order to progress.

Once everybody's got going, do you think someone could start a thread in the tea room to discuss the course? There's several things that have come up I'd like to explore a bit further.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I've started the introduction this morning. Needless to say I've started with a typo in the thread where you introduce yourself!

I was wondering if it would be as well to just keep this thread going for discussion rather than having two threads on the forum. What do you think?

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I just finished the second week. I have to be honest and say that I haven't explored the other resources which are listed at the end of the units. I might go back to some of them. I am really enjoying it. I really have little knowledge of the science of the brain and how dementia affects the brain. I've found the units really interesting - especially the Body Central interactive game! I think I may give up Candy Crush and Jelly Splash!

I gave TP a plug on the first resources discussion.