Pete unable to walk today

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Everyone

When I went to the CH today I was told that Pete had sat on the floor (not fallen) but wouldn't get up. The Carers put him in a wheelchair where he dozed off. Eventually they put him to bed and that's where he stayed all day, asleep. He does have a chest infection but he's still eating (he needs to be fed).Can this happen with a chest infection? He suffers from asthma and COPD. I'm worried

Take care

Lyn T

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to hear about Pete, Lyn. I don't know if chest infections could cause that. Bill sometimes refuses to get up from a chair but if he's left he'll usually get up when I try again.

Always another worry Lyn, isn't there?

Thinking of you.

geordie

May 11, 2010
When my mum suffers a chest infection things really go down hill- she virtually looses her ability to stand. I'm not sure what happens physiologically - but my reasoning is that the dementia demands such effort to achieve normal things (like standing , walking etc) that when the body is also fighting an infection - it's just a demand too far
hope things improve

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am sorry to hear about Pete. Sadly I think this can happen with or without an infection, David lost his ability to stand and I will never know what caused it (other than dementia downturn). I have until now thought it was possible he suffered a TIA - so hard, but on reflection it matters not the cause but how it is handled at the time.

None of this is easy - take care of yourself through this.

Daisy48

Sep 7, 2012
North Staffordshire
Hi Lyn
My dad would often lower himself to the floor and stay there for a while or slither from a chair.He never had a chest infection but his spatial awareness and coordination were severely impaired due to the Alzheimers and we put it down to that.
Daisy

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I know infections can cause more damage to dementia sufferers than for those without it Lyn. Pete sounds in a bad place now so he could do without additional threats to his well being.

I can imagine how worried and frightened you are xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Lyn

Sending love and a hug at this time. I wish I could answer your query but I have no experience of this. My experience was that if Alan had the slightest infection, his abilities would become severely impaired.

Love

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Just to say that I am so sorry Lyn. Another worry for you on top of your others.
It is possible that Pete is just exhaused because as others have said, infections affect dementia so badly - just think of the trouble UTIs cause yet others, without dementia, have them without the same problems.
I hope that when the chest infection clears and that in itself will be worse due to his Asthma and COPD that he will be as he was before. xxx

tom0591

Dec 18, 2013
I hope that the chest infection is being treated with antibiotics and that he has been seen by a doctor.
For someone with COPD a chest infection is serious, as their ability to absorb oxygen into the bloodstream is already compromised.

If he isn't getting enough oxygen into his bloodstream he will become tired and lethargic and his immune system can become less effective.

COPD and a chest infection are a dangerous combination. Insist that he is seen by a doctor if he doesn't show signs of improvement very soon and get the infection cleared up with some amoxycillin or something similar.

It is not good for someone with COPD and a chest infection to be lay horizontally for too long - he should be propped up at about 30 degrees by pillows or some support.

My Dad lost his ability to walk, then stand, despite my efforts to keep him mobile. Dementia can just cause loss of basic motor functions, although it may be that your Pete is just tired and fighting off the infection, so when that is treated he may return to strength again.

I wish you the best - it's a hard battle.

Last edited:

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Lyn, I hope you have better news about Pete soon. Thinking of you both.

turbo

Pookie

Dec 29, 2011
O Lyn I shall pray for your Peter & yourself. Sending (((more cuddles)))

Peter&Jean Pookie

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I hope that the chest infection is being treated with antibiotics and that he has been seen by a doctor.
For someone with COPD a chest infection is serious, as their ability to absorb oxygen into the bloodstream is already compromised.

If he isn't getting enough oxygen into his bloodstream he will become tired and lethargic and his immune system can become less effective.

COPD and a chest infection are a dangerous combination. Insist that he is seen by a doctor if he doesn't show signs of improvement very soon and get the infection cleared up with some amoxycillin or something similar.

It is not good for someone with COPD and a chest infection to be lay horizontally for too long - he should be propped up at about 30 degrees by pillows or some support.

My Dad lost his ability to walk, then stand, despite my efforts to keep him mobile. Dementia can just cause loss of basic motor functions, although it may be that your Pete is just tired and fighting off the infection, so when that is treated he may return to strength again.

I wish you the best - it's a hard battle.

Thank you everyone for their supportive messages

Tom-Pete is in a bed which goes up and down and has a head and foot board which goes up and down so yes he is at an angle. The Carers make sure that he stays like this even at night.The GP is visiting on Tuesday to see if P needs a second course of anti-biotics (sorry I don't know the name-I was told but forgot!)

I visited twice today at lunchtime and supper time.Pete still eating/drinking but not very enthusiastic.SW and CPN meeting tomorrow,

Take care

Lyn T

tom0591

Dec 18, 2013
It seems like everything is being done that can be done.
Now it's up to nature.
Good luck.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Just a little update

GP has been and the anti biotics for Pete's chest infection haven't worked, so the GP has put him on a different one as, obviously, the infection has now got worse.

Does anyone know if this is usual with infections?

Take care

Lyn T

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Lynn

We know as Dhiren weakened the antibiotics seemed less effective. I don`t know whether he was getting used to them or his body was unable to metabolise them.

I do hope the new ABs help Pete.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thanks Sylvia

You are very kind (as always) to reply. Sometimes I feel that GP's etc keep information from me. I cope so much better with the truth.

Take care

I hope your eye problem is improving

Lyn T

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba