What next?

AnneD

Dec 3, 2012
Derbyshire
Thank you so much for your comforting words regarding the loss of my Mum. I wish others would be as compassionate. I found out on Friday that my boss is intending to change my contract from 52 weeks per year, 27 hours per week to 41 weeks per year, 37 hours per week.

I have worked at the same place for 28 years and have given over and above, I feel as though I have been slapped in the face. A new boss came in September last year and I knew she didn't have a caring bone in her body.

I only work part-time as I have two dogs which I walk in the mornings. So much for the work-life balance. The doctor has signed me off for two weeks due to work related stress.

krissymc

Sep 24, 2012
hi anned

sorry to hear about the loss of your mum, my mum died in november, I had a week of work before she died because we knew she didn't have long, my manager at work was very understanding and told me to take has much time has I need but they only paid me for a week, so I had to return to work then, at first it helped because I don't think it had sunk in but now I feel I should off took more time off work, Im not sleeping or when I do I have nightmares. What I find the hardest is people just expect you to act normal or they want to know why you are so sad, somedays I feel like screaming and crying. My advice would be don't worry about getting back to work, take has much time has you want, come to terms with your grief.

CINDYJANE

Feb 9, 2012
Devon/somerset
Thank you so much for your comforting words regarding the loss of my Mum. I wish others would be as compassionate. I found out on Friday that my boss is intending to change my contract from 52 weeks per year, 27 hours per week to 41 weeks per year, 37 hours per week.

I have worked at the same place for 28 years and have given over and above, I feel as though I have been slapped in the face. A new boss came in September last year and I knew she didn't have a caring bone in her body.

I only work part-time as I have two dogs which I walk in the mornings. So much for the work-life balance. The doctor has signed me off for two weeks due to work related stress.

I didn't think your contract could be changed without your consent. If you don't want to change your hours then I believe you have rights and ought to see CAB or a solicitor (you can get 20 mins free advice if you phone one) straight away. It is awful how new bosses think they can just walk all over their long-serving staff.
My mother died last week, quite suddenly in the end in hospital.Before she died, I always had the idea that I would just leave my workplace -straight away. But now this has really happened, it's not so easy ....! I was an only child and have so much to arrange and sort out. I am really proud of myself how I have dealt with her funeral arrangements, death certificates etc. But I have her whole house to sort out now and I am afraid if I stop to catch my breath I will crumple and put everything off. I told work (my bosses are away on holiday for 2 weeks so my poor new office manager is having to deal with "my problem." ) that I needed to prioritise MY life now, and I would not be coming back full time. They can take it or leave it. That is how I feel. I am going into work today for a bit, but the thought makes me shakey... Mum's funeral is on monday.
For the first time in my life I can stop and really think about where I want to be (I am single and my youngest child is 18 and off to university in September). I don't know what I want to do, but I shan't rush and I will give myself time. Time to do things I have regretted not having been able to do before, like visiting elderly relatives and old friends. Then I will think about doing a different job.. Like you I have animals which take up a lot of time.
I am feeling for you Anne and do hope you can resolve your work issues. :)