The funny side of dementia

WGA

Jan 11, 2014
Dementia sucks, it really does, but sometimes it's better to laugh than cry!

There are so many hilarious things that my dad has said and done, and I just wish that I'd written them all down! Dad loves playing chess (against himself) and the other day when he opened the oven to take out his roasting cashew nuts and found a white pawn turned black. Yes - he roasted his pawn! ...and then painted it white again.

Due to dads Parkinson's disease, he had a chair which he can remotely control, so with a press of a button he can move all the way up to standing or all the way down to lying. He often leans on the remote and the chair moves, but he doesn't realise it is. The other day we were listening to music and 'you raise me up' by west life came on. You've probably guessed it - yes, he lent on the remote and as the lyrics 'you raise me uuuuuup' were sung, his chair magically starting raising. Hilarious.

He also went to morrisons the other day and came back with 19 deserts. 19!!!! Oh dad.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
This is a promising thread! I agree that Dementia can have its funny side too, and on a good day my husband can laugh at some of his own muddles. I'll look out for the next one, and share it.

marsaday

Mar 2, 2012
Painting the black pawn white again- well that's a great idea!

A year or so ago when Mum had more conversational ability we were talking about books and well known characters and she said 'what about that book erm...?' and searching desperately for the title, she came up with it. 'Wildering Sites!' Oh I said 'you mean Wuthering Heights,' -and we all had a good laugh, herself included, as she knew it didn't sound right.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thank God that Mil retains her sense of humour, a lot of the time - and one of her favourite sayings, that she still trots out is 'Its better to laugh than cry' :)

One day last week, she informed me that she had better go and get ready to go into town. I asked her what she had to go into town for.

"Well, she said, "Now I've left school, I have to get to the exchange and find myself a job"

I just looked at her, and gently asked her how old she was. You could see realization slowly dawning

"Oh S***!" she said "I'm 72, aren't I?"

The two of us just looked at each other and howled with laughter (though afterwards I thought it was as sad, I guess, as it was funny!)

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
....'what about that book erm...?' and searching desperately for the title, she came up with it. 'Wildering Sites!' Oh I said 'you mean Wuthering Heights,' -and we all had a good laugh, herself included, as she knew it didn't sound right.

several years ago my mum was always mixing up her words. I remember Eddie Izzard became something like Izzy Ogog.

eddiesgirl

Oct 22, 2012
Midlands
several years ago my mum was always mixing up her words. I remember Eddie Izzard became something like Izzy Ogog.

Oh yes!

Meadowlark Lemon, late of the Harlem Globetrotters, became "Melancholy Lemondrop". And Mum's very prim acquaintance Mrs Farquarson once became "Mrs Fartescue" (to her face...) All this many years before she began to develop Alzheimer's.

In the midst of all that has since been lost, this is one of her lovely quirks that still pops up from time to time and makes us both laugh, and I'm so grateful for that.

Seriously, friends, please please keep this thread going - this vile disease leaves us little enough to laugh about.

Last edited:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Husband has just asked the same question again and again, and then said " how many times have I asked that question before? " , to which I answered that I thought it was about ten. He's asked it again twice, adding "eleven" and "twelve" with a chuckle. Strange isn't it? He forgets the answer to the question, but remembers how many times he's asked!

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
Lovely thread.

Mum used to call me her "naughty boy" with great affection - naughty was always masculine in her head! When she slapped our arms for changing her pants, she loved it, if you cried out in mock pain. "Ouch, Mum, that hurts!" I'd protest. "That's very goodo", she'd beam happily.

And when she could still write in the A4 diary that we kept in the kitchen, her notes to me were always very imperious. "Would staff pleaserefrain from writing in the book?" (Underlined several times.) "Who is it who writes in green ink? It is very vulgar."

Of course it was Mum but we none of us liked to point it out..

And now each of the diaries are so precious...

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
Thank you so much. WGA and Ann Mac. I am still laughing and I so need to laugh. If my Mother comes out with a good one I will post it. She is very likely too:D

Candlelight 67

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
My MIL who doesn't have dementia (well, not diagnosed :rolleyes:) has always been known for getting her words in a muddle .... Many years ago when 'come on Eileen' by Dexys Midnight Runners was number one for weeks on end she declared that the song got right on her nerves. She couldn't remember the name of the song though so husband asked who sang it ...

absolutely deadpan she replied

"Dexter's nightmare marauders"

... still laughing ....

:D:D:D:D:D

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
We were talking about my sons dog a couple of weeks ago and my Mum sat there and said" the dogs I can't stand are those Budweisers" oviously meaning Rottweilers, made me chuckle though xx

Ange

WGA

Jan 11, 2014
I agree, eddiesgirl! I think it would be great to keep this post going. I'm glad you all liked it :) It's memories like these that become extra special and we need to hold onto them!

I'm trying to remember other funny times with dad - I think there are too many to remember!

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
My mum once said "I do like that P!ss Brosnan" :eek: (Pierce Brosnan).

This was pre-dementia but she's always been a bit dotty! We still call him that now and she still laughs every time we say it! :D

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Mum sometimes wanders into the staff room in her CH. She calls it the chatter box.

Makes sense. Small room and I expect they do sit and chatter there!

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
my wife made me laugh tonight,i've been fighting the lichen planus for months now,lesions on her legs and face etc,dressing them and putting cream on,she told me that she doesn't want to get spots on her face!i'm worried about lesions hitting the brain again and she's worried about acne,go figure!!!!!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Mum was talking today about how lovely yesterday was when my son walked for the first time at a family gathering in the town of "hocus pocus"

A place better known as houghton Regis

Its lovely that she witnessed my sons first steps.... 23 years ago and that she remembered it as if it was yesterday....

:sad:

babystar

Apr 10, 2013
This is a great thread. Sometimes you need a little laughter to cope with some of the tough times. I will keep track of the funnies. A lot of the time everything Mum says is a muddle, nothing seems to go together, and every now and again she seems to realise that something she's said is pretty much nonsense and starts to laugh... which starts me laughing!