A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I said that's good to the one line you wrote before you updated

Sorry to hear there is still a bit of a rattle, But glad to hear he's not in pain or anything else that upsets you and that the GP seems to be very caring.

xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh Sylvia! Our husbands and their antibiotics/infections!!! Hope Dhiren responds quickly.

I know Izzy.

On the way home I remember ered Dhiren was asthmatic as a child and was often quite ill. I think he might have been left with a weakness which may be the reason for the 'rattle'.

On the other hand he seems to have developed a 'weak left side' to his body. There's no apparent reason, no TIA etc. so I can only presume the right side of the brain is more damaged. The rattle is in the left lung.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I am so sorry to read Dhiren is still troubled with his chest rattle. Henry's went on for months this year, finally cleared September - since December on and off ABs. Gosh, his was also his left lung. He also tends to tilt to his left side, like Dhiren.

I do hope Dhiren's doesn't drag on. But it is a some consolation when you know he is not in pain or discomfort, nor unhappy.

These chest infections.... common in Henry's dementia wing. I wonder if they may be due to sitting all the time, no longer being mobile.

Loo xx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
As you say, Sylvia, Bill has been mobile until recently, and hopefully that will improve once he is free of the infections.

It is true that you do 'live and learn'... I certaily have and over the last three years I have been amazed at recoveries Henry has made after health setbacks, when I have thought the worst and even the nures have said a serious dementia downturn. Then he somehow bounces back. Well not quite 'bounce', but I'm sure you know what I mean.

I hope you find Dhiren still content and at peace and an improvement in the chest/lung. Shall look out for your update.

Thanks for asking. I hate saying it but I am not good. Hence not being on the 'Loo & Saffie' thread so long. - and I know Saffie is having her problems too.

Days when I can't get on the laptop, then am trying to catch up with threads. Not getting better at all and doubt I will now.

To add insult to injury I have badly hurt my back and it has locked. I'm like a snail with a stooped back and slower than a snail!

My despair is inability to see Henry, have not managed since last Wednesday, housebound since then. The week before I didn't manage at all, and only once each previous week. The nurses have kept me updated with TEXTs/phone calls. But I do need to see him for myself. Here's hoping tomorrow though ha' ma doots - but will certainly try.

I hope your back is much improved?

Loo xx

Kath1965

Dec 10, 2013
would you still do it

Can i ask for an honest answer - i am considering looking after my dad rather than put him in a home - he is 90 years old and suffers with dementia, right now he doesn't know that he cant understand when things are dangerous, he leaves the grill on, goes wandering, throws food in the bin when he shouldn't he is always confused, doesn't recognise people and many other things.

how bad does it really get, i need to know everything before i commit, not for me but for him i don't want to let him down, he doesn't want to go in a home or have carers and i want to give him what the wants, i have a family - husband and 2 adult children

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Can i ask for an honest answer - i am considering looking after my dad rather than put him in a home - he is 90 years old and suffers with dementia, right now he doesn't know that he cant understand when things are dangerous, he leaves the grill on, goes wandering, throws food in the bin when he shouldn't he is always confused, doesn't recognise people and many other things.

how bad does it really get, i need to know everything before i commit, not for me but for him i don't want to let him down, he doesn't want to go in a home or have carers and i want to give him what the wants, i have a family - husband and 2 adult children

Without meaning to scare you. It can get really really bad in a very short time. Your life can/is mostly is taken over and other family members loose out.

My mum was anxious all the time. Ringing me constantly. Now she is in a care home, most of her anxiety is gone, as her dementia needs are understood and she is well cared for. She is often asking to go home, insisting she can look after herself and she doesn't need to be where she is. But she does and did nothing to look after herself, When she was at home. Others have said that even if at home, wanting to go home is a constant. I see it as wanting the safety and "normality" of how mum was before dementia, not her actual home.

Can I suggest you copy and paste your question and start a new thread. That way you won't get lost in this thread and more people will possibly be able to help.

xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren is in hospital with aspiration pneumonia/query stroke.

He has had an EEG and we see the consultant tomorrow when we will know if indeed he has had a stroke. We doubt it as he has eaten and his body seems no different to how it has been in the last few months. But the doctors are concerned and leaving no stone unturned.

I`ve been with him all day and Paul was with us in the evening. The hospital has treated him well and he has had all necessary tests.

He isn`t distressed , in pain or uncomfortable, he is just sleeping and I`m thankful.

I`ve just completed an AS This is me leaflet to take tomorrow. It will be such a help for all staff to know how he was before hospitalisation.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I'm sorry Dhiren is in hospital Sylvia but really glad that he is not in pain, distressed or uncomfortable. I will be wishing him a speedy recovery.

Love

Status
Not open for further replies.