How to deal with hospital for alzheimers patients

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
My father had to go into hospital for a week. He was diagnosed with alzheimers a couple of months ago. I have never seen him so distressed. The lack of concern by the hospital staff was truly unacceptable. What do we do if he ever needs hospital treatment again? I think he'd refuse it as the whole experience left him suicidal.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Talk to PALS, the hospital staff can tell you how to contact them, they are normally based at the hospital and are there to support patients and their families.

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
Talk to PALS, the hospital staff can tell you how to contact them, they are normally based at the hospital and are there to support patients and their families.
Thanks, I'm going to contact them tomorrow with a view to going to meet them face to face and ask why my father was placed in such an inappropriate environment. It was really awful x thanks for replying x

3shirley

Nov 28, 2013
workington
My husband as been admitted to hospital and all the doctors can say its hard to say whats wrong but on the third time he was admitted it was a diffrent doctor and he gave him a scan and found bloodclot on the lung previous to that they just said because of dementia it was hard to say what was wrong feel like im banging my head against a brick wall

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Talking Point mobile app

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
My husband as been admitted to hospital and all the doctors can say its hard to say whats wrong but on the third time he was admitted it was a diffrent doctor and he gave him a scan and found bloodclot on the lung previous to that they just said because of dementia it was hard to say what was wrong feel like im banging my head against a brick wall

Hi, how is your husband coping being in hospital? How are you coping? x

3shirley

Nov 28, 2013
workington
Neil copes ok but i spend all day there to make sure he gets his meals and he is kept dry cos i have found him in some awful states

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
Neil copes ok but i spend all day there to make sure he gets his meals and he is kept dry cos i have found him in some awful states

When my father was in hospital for a week I stayed with him each night and my mum did the days. I can't understand why these hospitals are treating dementia patients in such an inhumane way. I feel for you. How long has he had a diagnosis of dementia for?

3shirley

Nov 28, 2013
workington
Neil has been diagnosed comming up 4 years he is in bed all the time now and needs full care its so sad just hope i can keep caring for him at home

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
Neil has been diagnosed comming up 4 years he is in bed all the time now and needs full care its so sad just hope i can keep caring for him at home

I feel very sorry you are going through this. Do you get support from the social services? Your family? How heart breaking for you xx

3shirley

Nov 28, 2013
workington
I have a carer for half hour in morning and 15 mins at night i also get 3hours sit through the week i go to alzheimers support group every month which i get a lot of support dont know what i would do without them when i seen the peice on bbc news this morning about bill and his wife it was i was watching myself afew months ago as i have said neil now in bed all the time thanks for your concern

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
I have a carer for half hour in morning and 15 mins at night i also get 3hours sit through the week i go to alzheimers support group every month which i get a lot of support dont know what i would do without them when i seen the peice on bbc news this morning about bill and his wife it was i was watching myself afew months ago as i have said neil now in bed all the time thanks for your concern

It is really dreadful what you are going through, most people have absolutely no idea I bet. My father has been diagnosed a few months ago and so I have all this to face. My mum also has an awful journey ahead. It's about time this country did all it could to help Alzheimer patients as there's going to be a massive increase in the next few years. You have my sympathy xx