inheritance cheque

Rosie Webros

May 8, 2013
Hello everyone. I hope everyone is coping ok. I am sorry I have not been on TP for quite a while as I have had problems with my dad again. However, I do have a problem and thought someone out there may be able to help me.

My dad has had Alzheimer's for about six years and now is in the latter stages of the disease. He has been in a home since February. My sister and myself lost our mom three years ago and we looked after dad at his home for two years until we had no choice but to put dad in a home. Mom and dad never had any money to speak of, the lived in a council house and never had a bank account. Unfortunately, we never sorted out Power of Attorney. However the problem is that dad has had a bit of inheritance left him (only £700) but the cheque is in dad's name. We wanted to pay for a bit of entertainment for dad at the home for Christmas with it. But my own bank does not think there is anything I can do.

I would be very grateful if anyone had any ideas.

Thank you so much.
Take care everyone,
Rosie Webros

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Can you go back to the person who wrote the cheque and explain the situation, they may be able to make a cash payment or arrange it another way?

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
So, who deals with your dad's finances? Where does his pension get paid? Where doe his £23 a week personal allowance go? You could talk to the person who sent the cheque and ask for payment to be made in another way. Maybe it could be made out to the care home to be kept for his personal use?

Fiona

Rosie Webros

May 8, 2013
Hello everyone, thank you for replying Noorza and Fifimo. The cheque came from the solicitors and they 'tried' to sort it for me but it was taking them literally months and in the end they did not come up with anything. So I asked them to send the cheque to me and I would try and sort it out, of course not knowing that it would be this difficult.

My sister and myself have always paid dad's bills, and the only thing we have to do now is to pay his insurance every month. His pension is paid straight into his post office account but cheques cannot be paid into this account. What a kerfuffle ay?

Thank you anyway for your comments.

Take care Rosie Webros

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Could you give the post office account number etc to the solicitor and ask for the funds to be sent via a bank transfer from their account to your Dad's account?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point mobile app

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Ok I've thought of a way but it is a bit convoluted. Phone DWP and explain that you need to become an appointee for your dad's pension. They will tell you to open a bank account in your name and they will then start transferring his pension there. Ask the solicitor to do a bank transfer to this pension account as you will be able to show them evidence that the account has been set up to manage your dad's benefits eg pension with the agreement of the DWP. That might work...at least ask the solicitor if they will find this acceptable.

Fiona

optocarol

Nov 23, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Hello everyone, thank you for replying Noorza and Fifimo. The cheque came from the solicitors and they 'tried' to sort it for me but it was taking them literally months and in the end they did not come up with anything. So I asked them to send the cheque to me and I would try and sort it out, of course not knowing that it would be this difficult.

My sister and myself have always paid dad's bills, and the only thing we have to do now is to pay his insurance every month. His pension is paid straight into his post office account but cheques cannot be paid into this account. What a kerfuffle ay?

Thank you anyway for your comments.

Take care Rosie Webros

Maybe different in the UK, but I've never heard of an account you can't pay cheques into!

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
If all else fails I suppose there are always those cheque cashing places, but of course they take a cut and I suspect are used by some dodgy people. A large cheque payable to my mother once disappeared from the house and we found it had been cashed, presumably at one of these places.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
High street 'cheque cashers' in theory require the same level of proof of ID and address as banks so if you can cash a cheque in this way you can open a bank account.

The checks may not be performed as diligently as with banks but more likely with one high value cheque false documentation was used and the thief instantly walked away with the cash, albeit discounted, with no trail. With a bank account time would have to be left for the cheque to clear giving time for the theft to be discovered making it awkward to withdraw the cash.