Memantine and Aricept?

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Following John's visit to the psychogeriatrician today, and his very poor score, it was felt that the trauma of his heart attack has resulted in John developing vascular dementia, as well as Alzheimer's and that he should be prescribed Memantine, as well as Aricept (and the 18 other tablets he takes!).

Does anyone else on TP have experience of this medication please, and whether there are side effects? Thank you. :)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH been taking aricept for several years and Memantine added this summer. No side effects, except that he is now better than he has been since the beginning of the year! The disease is still progressing slowly but his manner is much, much better. He is even eating more ( never been a big eater, but I don't worry about that now). No ill effects at all.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
All medications have side effects, the side effects of Memantine are actually less than those of Aricept.

As for experience you will find the whole range of comments on this forum, mine was good but others will say different.

Everyone is different and in the final analysis you have to trust the prescribing clinician's judgement.

If you want to delve deeper on a statistical basis enter the names in
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/
PIL>>Patient information leaflet - the info supplied with the medication.
SPC>>Specific product characteristics - more detailed info.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thank you Spamar and Nitran for your responses, I'm so grateful for these. It's encouraging to read your comments Spamar, and fingers crossed this might prove helpful for John.

Thanks again.

clareglen

Jul 9, 2013
Cumbria
My mum was on Donepizil (Aricept). Started off on 5mg & I thought her dementia was getting worse so they upped her to 10mg (this is the normal way). She was aggressive etc & had all the side effects inc stomach cramps, depressed. I realised it was the medication so it was stopped. Her dementia quickly got worse but her mood was much improved making her easier to deal with. Pschy doc is recommending to GP (about a month ago) for her to be prescribed some anti depressants & anti psychotics but I'm not chasing it as I've seen on here anti psychotics can cause seizures even after they've been stopped. It is just trial & error. Everyone reacts differently to the meds.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
My husband has taken Aricept for just over ten years,
This year he began to have some hallucinations, and problems with word-finding.
His consultant prescribed Memantine, so since August he has taken both Aricept and Memantine.
There have been no problems, and the hallucinations are much less frequent.
No great improvement, maybe a slowing down of some problems.

But everyone is different.
I feel fortunate that he has been able to tolerate both drugs.

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
My Dad takes Mementine, he started on 5mg a day then graduated up to 20mg. No side effects as far as I can tell. No positive effects I can recognise either.

larry57

Dec 5, 2013
Memantine

Following John's visit to the psychogeriatrician today, and his very poor score, it was felt that the trauma of his heart attack has resulted in John developing vascular dementia, as well as Alzheimer's and that he should be prescribed Memantine, as well as Aricept (and the 18 other tablets he takes!).

Does anyone else on TP have experience of this medication please, and whether there are side effects? Thank you. :)

Hi ...... My Mother in Law who has vascular dementia and Alzheimer's was 9 weeks ago prescribed Memantine as her psychiatrist felt this would improve her memory and plateau out her disability. However she and us experienced some VERY bizarre behaviours which in the end resulted in her being withdrawn from the drug. However we understand that this is very rare and normally Memantine is very helpful. With us this wasn't the case. But I feel you should go ahead.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thank you all SO MUCH for your helpful responses. This is why TP is such a lifeline when you ask a question, because the experiences of others, whether good or bad, enable you to be prepared for what may happen.

John's been prescribed 5mg of Memantine, rising to 20 mg over a 4 week period, and also takes 10 mg Aricept, as well as a plethora of other tablets since his heart attack. Thank you all again for your posts and comments. :)

geordie

May 11, 2010
some national research has suggested that the drugs in combination maximise the positive effects offered by each when given alone -that was the reason I argued for mum to be prescribed both a couple of years ago. Can search out the info if you are interested
best wishes

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
some national research has suggested that the drugs in combination maximise the positive effects offered by each when given alone -that was the reason I argued for mum to be prescribed both a couple of years ago. Can search out the info if you are interested
best wishes

That is so kind of you, and I've found a lot of helpful info online, but I'm glad to hear the positive sides of the combination drugs - very much appreciated.