Help on paperwork needed

Rosella

Oct 26, 2013
Hertfordshire
Mum is in hospital with severe dementia, which has come on very quickly over the last three or four months. She has had a Continuing Healthcare Checklist done but now I have been given some more papers to sign. There are just four sheets. Two of them appear to be part of the Continuing Healthcare Assessment and the other two are from the London Health Needs Assessment. Obviously I won't be signing anything until I see the full sets of papers, but I just wondered if anyone knew what the LHNA was?

Also, because everything has happened so quickly, we have no Power of Attorney. Does anyone know if that means we can be left out of any decision-making meeting about Mum's care? One of the sheets from the CHC Assessment says that a MDT meeting has taken place.

Rosella

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Mum is in hospital with severe dementia, which has come on very quickly over the last three or four months. She has had a Continuing Healthcare Checklist done but now I have been given some more papers to sign. There are just four sheets. Two of them appear to be part of the Continuing Healthcare Assessment and the other two are from the London Health Needs Assessment. Obviously I won't be signing anything until I see the full sets of papers, but I just wondered if anyone knew what the LHNA was?

Also, because everything has happened so quickly, we have no Power of Attorney. Does anyone know if that means we can be left out of any decision-making meeting about Mum's care? One of the sheets from the CHC Assessment says that a MDT meeting has taken place.

Rosella
Hello Rosella
Sorry to hear about your Mum
I cannot help much as I have no experience with what you and your family are going through, but couldnt read and pass on by

The MDT means a multi disaplinary team,this I believe is to decide where is the best place for the person to be ie at home, residental/nursing home etc. I could be wrong though, If I am not ,I would have thought at least one close family member should have been invited.

I have never heard of the London health needs assessment, I will search around to see if I can find out anything

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
I did a google and found this on the London health needs assessment,, keep scrolling down past the blank pinkish section as their is more
http://www.nice.org.uk/media/150/35/health_needs_assessment_a_practical_guide.pdf

It seems the Health needs assessment is a toolkit used to determine ,Health ,needs of the population.

I would go through all the forms you have been given to sign, with a fine tooth comb, as they have most likely been sent to you , so you can check and get them corrected before you sign them.

I found this factsheet on here about hospital discharge
A short way down Is the heading, Assessment for hospital discharge, where MDT is mentioned. I am sorry to say, It clearly says, a member of the family or a friend should be involved in this assessment

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=173

I am sure others with more knowledge than I will be along later today.

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hello Rosella

Lin1 is correct.A family member should have been invited to be present at the Assessment. I was at one myself for my Husband as he has no capacity to make decisions.

Do you have the scores from the assessment? Was your Mum deemed to need CHC? I do have a financial LPA (not welfare).

Take care

Lyn T

Rosella

Oct 26, 2013
Hertfordshire
Thank you both for your responses. It looks, Lin1, having looked at the link you gave me (thank you :)) that the LHNA is a statistical questionnaire and probably not too much to worry about. I need to find out more about what meetings have taken place and get a copy of the assessment, if it's happened. They've promised to leave me some papers when I visit tomorrow but I think there's only a small chance of that actually happening. The nursing care there is good - there seems to be a very caring atmosphere. But they are incredibly busy - I wouldn't be at all surprised if they cut corners. LYNT I don't know the scores yet, but she had a Healthcare Checklist and this showed 2 A's and a B but not in the priority areas. A nurse has already told me Mum won't be eligible, "that's only for people who are immobile, pressure ulcers, or in-dwelling devices such as PEG feeding". So they're not following their own guidelines!

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hmmm seems rather strange. Normally what happens is that everyone involved, you included, makes their own assessment based on the assessment, THEN there is a meeting which you should be invited to. At this meeting, the output is one form which represents everyone's views. What I cannot understand is why you don't have a complete set of the forms, because what appears is they are sent to you to check through BUT also to note any areas where you think something is wrong, or missing or needs additional information. Any comments you make should be included in the consolidated MDT report.

You are right not to sign anything. Go back to them and ask for complete suite of documents and understand what you are being asked to do. When you get the full set then go through with a fine tooth comb highlighting anything that is inaccurate and inserting additional information they have not included.

When it comes to the next phase then make sure you are invited to the MDT Meeting as well.

Fiona

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
LYNT I don't know the scores yet, but she had a Healthcare Checklist and this showed 2 A's and a B but not in the priority areas. A nurse has already told me Mum won't be eligible, "that's only for people who are immobile, pressure ulcers, or in-dwelling devices such as PEG feeding". So they're not following their own guidelines!

This is not right. No Nurse should pre judge the outcome. I had a sw say the same to me. Pete had his assessment on tuesday and he got two A's and umpteen B's. His A's were cognition and behaviour.It will now go to the panal stage.

I'm afraid that you have to challenge and fight for CHC. If they haven't followed their own guidelines (which they didn't with Pete), complain to the CHC team, quote the guidelines and mention the Ombudsman/CQC . I've had to do these things and I am making progress.

Take care

Lyn T

Rosella

Oct 26, 2013
Hertfordshire
Thanks to all for your help. I'm off to the hospital this afternoon where there are some papers waiting for me, apparently. I'll let you know what they are. Also the SW phoned my brother yesterday. She was asking about Mum's finances but we don't feel inclined to tell her until the decision has been made about ongoing care. It's difficult because it feels awkward to be uncooperative when she presumably is the one who can advise about which are the best care homes.

Just to say - I think this forum is brilliant. I haven't posted much but I've been reading a lot of the threads - really useful.

Rosella

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thanks to all for your help. I'm off to the hospital this afternoon where there are some papers waiting for me, apparently. I'll let you know what they are. Also the SW phoned my brother yesterday. She was asking about Mum's finances but we don't feel inclined to tell her until the decision has been made about ongoing care. It's difficult because it feels awkward to be uncooperative when she presumably is the one who can advise about which are the best care homes.

Just to say - I think this forum is brilliant. I haven't posted much but I've been reading a lot of the threads - really useful.

Rosella

Don't give any info to the SW. It's the LA team who should be doing a financial assessment not SS's.The SW is not allowed to recommend any particularCH's although they can give you a list.
Even then they will not give informed information. My only advice in looking for a CH is to do a lot of phone calls to make sure your Mum is placed somewhere that suits her needs. For instance my Husband has a high anxiety level so I phoned lots of CH's and asked how many carers there were per resident as my husband needs a lot of one to one care. The SW was giving me info where there was 5 carers for 50 plus residents. Not much chance of 1 to 1 interaction there. I started by looking at those closest to me and extended my search outwards.

Sorry this is turning out to be such a stressful time for you.

Take care

Lyn T