New to TP & Finding the Forum Useful!

Dink077

Oct 1, 2013
Hi Everyone

New to TP today - my Dad (78yrs) has Alzheimers and lives at home with Mum. He goes to a day centre within a care home once a week and I sit with him one night a week when she meets up with friends. He is on Rivastigmine patches. He was diagnosed just over 3 years ago. My folks decided to keep it to themselves and were doing a good job of it until early this year when it all came to light. My brother and I had noticed changes in Dad but, probably because we didn't want to face up to things, we were happy to put his mood changes etc down to his increasing old age and being less tolerant in things

On the whole he is not too bad. He is getting more restless at nights and takes a while to settle when Mum isn't about.

I have found the posts on here very useful and informative and look forward to being part of community here. x

Austinsmum

Oct 7, 2012
Melton Mowbray
Hey Dink, good to hear from you. Welcome to TP. You sound like a real caring son whom your parents will be proud of. Fully approve that you’re tentatively putting out the feelers and getting your head around the whole dementia thing. You’ll get solid advice here from folk who’ve been at the ‘coal face’ for years and know far more than the ‘professionals’. Keep posting, you’re amongst real friends here - day and night. :)

Dink077

Oct 1, 2013
Hey Dink, good to hear from you. Welcome to TP. You sound like a real caring son whom your parents will be proud of. Fully approve that you’re tentatively putting out the feelers and getting your head around the whole dementia thing. You’ll get solid advice here from folk who’ve been at the ‘coal face’ for years and know far more than the ‘professionals’. Keep posting, you’re amongst real friends here - day and night. :)

Thanks Austin's Mum. Much appreciated :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning Dink and welcome to TP. I'm glad you are already finding the forum useful. I know your mum and dad will in turn reap the benefits of your involvement with the forum.

I look forward to seeing you around.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Hi Dink and a warn welcome from me too. This place has helped me deal with some very difficult times that are still on going. Off to start another thread for help.......

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Welcome Dink, nice to hear from you. You will receive lots of help, advice and support here, glad you have found us, sometimes it's a lifeline. Keep posting!

Dink077

Oct 1, 2013
Hi Dink and welcome from me too:) Sorry to hear of your Dad's diagnosis, and I hope your father's condition is stable for a long time to come.

You've probably already read it, but the following thread has been the single biggest factor in keeping me sane(ish) :).

[Toni

Thank you so much - I have had a quick read of this link in my lunch break (I hadnt seen in before) and I am going to share this with my mum & brother. I think it is one of the most well written pieces for carers that I have read. x

Dink077

Oct 1, 2013
Good morning Dink and welcome to TP. I'm glad you are already finding the forum useful. I know your mum and dad will in turn reap the benefits of your involvement with the forum.

I look forward to seeing you around.

Thanks Izzy, much appreciated.

Dink077

Oct 1, 2013
Hi Dink and a warn welcome from me too. This place has helped me deal with some very difficult times that are still on going. Off to start another thread for help.......

Thanks Noorza, much appreciated. I think Im going to find it a great source of comfort, and I hope in time, I will be able to offer some advice/view point... x

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi Dink, welcome to the community, I know you'll find it valuable and a huge emotional support. Sometimes we come here without expecting to find all the answers but just being among people who are experiencing the same issues makes us feel less alone.

Your mum is lucky that you're interested and caring. I too had a dad with Alzheimer's and Mum was main carer, it was my job to get out and find all the help and information to make that role easier. These are things a carer, particularly elderly themselves, may be unfamiliar with and not have the time to trawl about for answers.

Stephanie, xxx