Need support

busydill113

Nov 3, 2012
Solihull and worcester
Hi everyone Im a new member and like many trying to get used to this site. I have a Mom who was diagnosed with VD 4.5 years ago and has now lost her short term memory. The Dr has advised us there are no drugs for anyone with Vascular Dementia yet on reading some bloggs I note other VD patients are on drugs?. Cant understand why my Mom cant have drugs. Im also not coping day to day as my Mother is very aggressive to me only and no else, and would like to perhaps meet with or carers. I have looked into the A cafes but there during day and I cant make those times, I would love to join a group that is evenings or weekends can anyone direct me to one please. My Mother lives in Solihulll and Im near to Kidderminster. Corinne

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Corinne and welcome to TP. I'm sorry to read about your mum's diagnosis. My my had vascular dementia and I'm afraid she was on no medication for this at all. I think I have read of some sufferers who have been given Alzheimer's medications but this, I think, is not not common.

I'm sorry I can't advise on any local groups. Have you had a carers' assessment? It's part of the Community Care Assessment and is described here. If not I would urge you to arrange assessments for both yourself and your mum. You might get some ideas of groups etc through this process.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/download.php?fileID=1812

I hope you find this site supportive. Although it's a virtual community you will find lots of help and advice here. It's also a good place just to talk about your feelings if you want to get something off your chest.

Take care.

sonia owen

Hi
Welcome to the site. Sorry you feel on your own at the moment. There is plenty of support out there for us carers. Its a case of finding it. Hope at least finding here you are able to chat to others who will support you all the way.
Take care
Love Sonia xxx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello and welcome. The recognised drugs for dementia do not work for Vas D, but many sufferers have more than one type, for example my Mum has Vas D and Alzheimers so can take Aricept. The depression which often manifests itself in Dementia Sufferers and also the agression can be treated though. I suggest you speak to your Mum's GP. Have you a Social worker appointed for your Mum or has she had a needs assessment. If you have, perhaps it might be an idea to discuss a respite break with them. Have a look on the main Alz website too, they can tell you about cafes or meetings that might be of some help to you.
Help is out there, ....honest:D

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Welcome to TP
I hope you find TP as helpful and supportive as I have.

I believe in some countries Medication that may help to slow down dementia is given to people with VD
this is not routinely done in the uk as it is believed it does not help, but meds to control some of the causes of VD should be given ie high blood pressure should be treated.

However I have read on here of people who have VD being prescribed, think it Ebixa (memantine) when they are aggressive/agitated, it has helped some.

So I would contact Mums consultant or CPN (community psych nurse) if she has one or the gp

Sorry I know nothing about carers groups around Mums area, but I was reading some of the local papers there recently and was shocked to read that social services were only going to help in the worst cases.

Solihull brings back a lot of good memories :)

Last edited:

Lovetosing

Sep 15, 2013
West Midlands
There are dementia cafes in the Dudley Borough that run both day time and evenings that provide support for carers. I believe Kiddi. also has good support networks for carers. Contact your local Alzheimers Society and they should be able to advise you and as others have suggested try the adult social care department of Social Services. I'm not sure how you get referred to a Community Psychiatric Nurse - try GP first or Cons. Psychiatrist if there is one involved. Ring them all as there is help out there and you may find out something different from each one in my experience. It's just having the time and energy to do it. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Hi everyone Im a new member and like many trying to get used to this site. I have a Mom who was diagnosed with VD 4.5 years ago and has now lost her short term memory. The Dr has advised us there are no drugs for anyone with Vascular Dementia yet on reading some bloggs I note other VD patients are on drugs?. Cant understand why my Mom cant have drugs. Im also not coping day to day as my Mother is very aggressive to me only and no else, and would like to perhaps meet with or carers. I have looked into the A cafes but there during day and I cant make those times, I would love to join a group that is evenings or weekends can anyone direct me to one please. My Mother lives in Solihulll and Im near to Kidderminster. Corinne

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi and welcome.

Try the Carer's Association. They run cafes and as their title says they are there for the carer. Lots of advice available and helpful. I have no knowledge of evening meetings, all our local town meetings are held during the day but there maybe evening ones.

Jay

looked around my area and there are evening meetings. Carers can take their cared for with them

Last edited: