Ocd

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Thanks all for the advice so much appreciated! Will look into all the options - I feel so sorry for the poor little mite yet at the same time it's wearing and so frustrating!!

Not offended by the advice to put him first - he was the apple of my dads eye so he would always expect me to put my son before him.

I'm going to speak to the school and his year tutor today to make them aware as I'm sure it won't be long before he can't control it in school - he has said his mates have mentioned his oddities!!

I tried to talk to him at breakfast to suggest we looked at helping him and I hit a stone walk - so will do my own investigations first! His response to me was simple - by doing it he feels safe and nothing bad will happen!

Thanks again all for support! Will keep you updated x

I just wanted to address this as my heart goes out to anyone who is suffering with OCD.

What will be happening, if he is the same as the other children I met through my son, is that he will fear that something bad will happen (Obsession), the ritual (Compulsion) will make that fear temporarily go away but the fear comes back so you get into this cycle of fear and action, fear action.

I hope your GP can refer you to a superb CBT, we were extremely fortunate that the therapists took on groups of children and another therapist in another room took the parents, friends, carers and families of the child who had OCD and we were taught how our behaviour, in doing normal parent things like giving reassurance, can make it worse and how to work with the children on making agreements about not giving reassurance can help. At first many of us just wanted to put protective arms around our children and reassure them that their fears weren't justified even if that was 100 times a day but we too had to relearn how to best help them.

Don't do anything without professional support, but do get that professional support knowing that it is out there. I wish you all the best and please keep us updated.

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
I have personal experience of OCD by having a close family member who suffers from it. Her symptoms started to show when she was seven. It is vital that the GP refers you to a consultant child and adolescent psychiatrist who will arrange further investigations and then possible CBT and perhaps medication, my relative was prescribed Citalopram. This is all available on the NHS, there is no need to pay privately. The CBT did not help much in my relative's case but I do believe it is a great help to many people. You may be asked to attend some of the sessions with your son, in which case you yourself learn more about the condition and how to deal with it in a way that will help your son. The obsessions are very frightening for the sufferer and the compulsions or rituals are an attempt to neutralise the fear. It is a seriously debilitating condition that is often not taken seriously by people who do not understand, it also seems quite 'fashionable' at the moment with celebs saying they have it, when in fact they don't know what they are talking about. I find it very insulting to genuine sufferers when people announce flippantly "I'm a bit OCD". Having said all that, it is a treatable condition, but it's not just a phase which will go away. It is an anxiety related condition, so certain things may trigger it, but they are not the cause. A person has to be pre disposed with OCD in the first place. I send you my very best wishes, and there is help out there. xx

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Well said Wildflower and you are so right in all of your posting, it can be debilitating

I totally agree to be a "little bit OCD" using it like a fashion statement is very annoying but you raise a very interesting point.

I used to find comfort in knowing that famous high achievers also had OCD, but real OCD not "a little bit OCD" so I googled this and thought I'd share.

Famous People with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder:

Charles Darwin - 1809-1882 Naturalist, author;

Howard Hughes - Howard Robard Hughes, Jr. (24 December 1905 - 5 April 1976), was an American aviator, engineer, industrialist, film producer and director, and one of the wealthiest people in the world.

Marc Summers - American television personality.

Billy Bob Thornton - (born August 4, 1955) is an Academy Award-winning American screenwriter, actor.

Donald Trump - Donald John Trump, business executive.

Cameron Diaz - Cameron Michelle Diaz,American actress and former fashion model.

Leonardo DiCaprio - Leonardo Wilhelm DiCaprio, actor

Michael Jackson -

Harrison Ford, Academy Award-nominated American actor.

Howard Stern -

Howie Mandel -

From this site:

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/famous-ocd.shtml

David Beckham has it, he has to have his shirts in colour order and everything in even numbers amongst his compulsions. He has written about how the England team would move things to wind him up.

Ian Puleson-Davies the tough guy from Coronation Street has it too.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-carefree-tough-guy-paralysed-obsessions.html

I do think that for those famous people who really have OCD it is incredibly brave of them to share but also incredibly comforting.

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
I totally agree with you Noorza. It's interesting how many famous high achievers have genuine OCD, it's brave of them to make this public and it's a comfort to others to know that they are not alone, because sometimes sufferers think they are the only person like it. There can also be some relief when a proper diagnosis is made, so it is known what is actually wrong. These famous people are proof that it is possible to lead a very successful life with OCD and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
I just wanted to address this as my heart goes out to anyone who is suffering with OCD.

What will be happening, if he is the same as the other children I met through my son, is that he will fear that something bad will happen (Obsession), the ritual (Compulsion) will make that fear temporarily go away but the fear comes back so you get into this cycle of fear and action, fear action.

I hope your GP can refer you to a superb CBT, we were extremely fortunate that the therapists took on groups of children and another therapist in another room took the parents, friends, carers and families of the child who had OCD and we were taught how our behaviour, in doing normal parent things like giving reassurance, can make it worse and how to work with the children on making agreements about not giving reassurance can help. At first many of us just wanted to put protective arms around our children and reassure them that their fears weren't justified even if that was 100 times a day but we too had to relearn how to best help them.

Don't do anything without professional support, but do get that professional support knowing that it is out there. I wish you all the best and please keep us updated.

Hi Noorza

How did you get your son to get help? I'm struggling as he is refusing to come with me to the Drs? I've offered to help him research on the internet to help him understand a bit more but I'm getting no where fast. His school has a good pastoral care service and was going to approach them for help too.

X

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
Well said Wildflower and you are so right in all of your posting, it can be debilitating

I totally agree to be a "little bit OCD" using it like a fashion statement is very annoying but you raise a very interesting point.

I used to find comfort in knowing that famous high achievers also had OCD, but real OCD not "a little bit OCD" so I googled this and thought I'd share.

Famous People with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder:

Charles Darwin - 1809-1882 Naturalist, author;

Howard Hughes - Howard Robard Hughes, Jr. (24 December 1905 - 5 April 1976), was an American aviator, engineer, industrialist, film producer and director, and one of the wealthiest people in the world.

Marc Summers - American television personality.

Billy Bob Thornton - (born August 4, 1955) is an Academy Award-winning American screenwriter, actor.

Donald Trump - Donald John Trump, business executive.

Cameron Diaz - Cameron Michelle Diaz,American actress and former fashion model.

Leonardo DiCaprio - Leonardo Wilhelm DiCaprio, actor

Michael Jackson -

Harrison Ford, Academy Award-nominated American actor.

Howard Stern -

Howie Mandel -

From this site:

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/famous-ocd.shtml

David Beckham has it, he has to have his shirts in colour order and everything in even numbers amongst his compulsions. He has written about how the England team would move things to wind him up.

Ian Puleson-Davies the tough guy from Coronation Street has it too.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-carefree-tough-guy-paralysed-obsessions.html

I do think that for those famous people who really have OCD it is incredibly brave of them to share but also incredibly comforting.

Just seen this - think he might relate to the David Beckham as he loves football!

I'm worried as now his friends are noticing - his close friends are good but don't want him to be bullied by others?!

Also feel I need to advise the school before the behaviours come out there and he gets labelled a trouble maker x

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Hi Noorza

How did you get your son to get help? I'm struggling as he is refusing to come with me to the Drs? I've offered to help him research on the internet to help him understand a bit more but I'm getting no where fast. His school has a good pastoral care service and was going to approach them for help too.

X

It wasn't a problem with my son, every school should have a Special Needs Co-ordinator, I would see her/him and I would go to the Dr. without your son for starters. Also see the school nurse. Ask his teacher who she feels he would respond best to in the school and consider their involvement.

In the meanwhile be positive about people who have OCD. David Beckham has it, it is generally people who have higher IQs who have it as they over think things. I'll try to come up with some more but he may need the confidence to accept he needs help.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Just seen this - think he might relate to the David Beckham as he loves football!

I'm worried as now his friends are noticing - his close friends are good but don't want him to be bullied by others?!

Also feel I need to advise the school before the behaviours come out there and he gets labelled a trouble maker x

Having close friends is really good. Bullying is an issue but with good friends and a loving family he'll have a shield. Once he has the diagnosis any good school should put measures in to protect him from bullying, and any child who takes the mick because of his OCD will find themselves in trouble. Disability Discrimination means the schools have to protect your son, they don't always get it right and if they don't and you can't rectify it then consider a school move. That's a long way off, schools these days are aware of the many kinds of mental health conditions that children thrive with and know how to deal with bullies.

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/david-beckham-saved-ocd-sufferer-231524

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-381802/The-obsessive-disorder-haunts-life.html

There are more links on line to where David Beckham has discussed his own OCD. What ever God you believe in then ask Him to bless that man for talking about it and helping so many children.

Thank you so much for all your help and advice! I will keep you posted.

He attends a welsh Anglican school with strong support and beliefs so hopefully they will help to x

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Thank you so much for all your help and advice! I will keep you posted.

He attends a welsh Anglican school with strong support and beliefs so hopefully they will help to x

Tiggs going to send you a PM, nothing life shattering I just don't want it on the boards. Give me five minutes

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
Tiggs going to send you a PM, nothing life shattering I just don't want it on the boards. Give me five minutes

Hi Noorza

Thank you got the link - I couldn't reply to your message as your in box is full. X