Vascular dementia worse at night

faithy

Jul 31, 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
my husband has been waking up calling me and asking what time his aide gets in to get him up-this has become the norm. I tell him its night and to go back to sleep, which he does. It amazes me that he calls me but it is usually at work when i am at home, i am thinking he selects last number not directly dialing ...so sad that when i went home i thought- i am so happy Tom had a good day, then of course the phone call. I know this progresses which i have seen over the years, but it seems worse at this stage? thank you all for being here and listening..

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
I wonder if the 24 hour cycle collapses? My husband does not seem able to find a 'normal' rhythm of night and day any longer - and is unable to sleep through the night and can be startled by dreams both while asleep and when waking. It takes him a long while to sort out what is what. It can be unnerving - for him especially. I seem to be fairly used to it.

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
This is interesting as my dad has started napping throughout the day and night and no longer will follow a routine?!

He rings me about 8 or 9 times a day checking the time and when he should eat despite the fact he has carers in 4 times a day. I wondered if this was a phase or the new norm now .

I'm struggling at the moment as I work full time in a really hectic job which makes it difficult to answer the phone and try to calm him down. He has AD and VD.

I can completely sympathise as its very wearing and I wonder some days how I'm going to cope?

T x

miniladyuk

Aug 29, 2012
My dad has problems staying awake during the day...so mum is making him do things to keep him awake...he still wants to go to bed about 8,30 though. He is also dreaming a lot and struggling to know what is real and what is a dream he had...things always seem worse at night :(

faithy

Jul 31, 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
I wonder if the 24 hour cycle collapses? My husband does not seem able to find a 'normal' rhythm of night and day any longer - and is unable to sleep through the night and can be startled by dreams both while asleep and when waking. It takes him a long while to sort out what is what. It can be unnerving - for him especially. I seem to be fairly used to it.
It is strange isn't it how the dementia works? I never know what to expect from hour to hour, nevermind day to day thanks God for this site!