Gambling and dementia?

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Mum is 81 and has VaD. In the past ten years she's started playing the pokies and at times loses a good deal more money than she can comfortably afford. Apart from Tatts tickets Mum never gambled before, and I wonder if it coincides with the onset of TIAs. Anyone else heard of this?

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I was married to a CG inform all of the places she gambles with not to accept her bets. There are laws in place to protect people like your mum.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Block by phone or net the ways she is accessing these sites. Inform the companies she has dementia but it depends in what country the sites are based.

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Nooroza,
At this point (my stepfather died 15 days ago), I'm just letting her be. Mum says it helps her "forget everything", and I'm quietly keeping a close eye on the situation. Problem is these machines are in pubs which also have Bingo, her main leisure activity, so I'd be reluctant to deprive her of this outlet.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
is it possible to restrict her spending money so she has a set amount to play with to lose or win??

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
is it possible to restrict her spending money so she has a set amount to play with to lose or win??

Definitely a likelihood in the future. Problem is Mum gets agitated when I ask about bank statements and can be quite secretive. I've paid for my stepfather's funeral from my own funds because Mum seemed to have very little money left. Because of SF's war service Mum's unexpectedly received a modest lump sum, and I suppose I'm anxious to see she doesn't end up losing the new found security this small buffer has given her.
Thanks for your reply,
Toni.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Definitely a likelihood in the future. Problem is Mum gets agitated when I ask about bank statements and can be quite secretive. I've paid for my stepfather's funeral from my own funds because Mum seemed to have very little money left. Because of SF's war service Mum's unexpectedly received a modest lump sum, and I suppose I'm anxious to see she doesn't end up losing the new found security this small buffer has given her.
Thanks for your reply,
Toni.

I was married to a compulsive gambler so have to declare an interest here. Please Please Please contact Gamblers Anonymous, the gambler doesn't have to go but they are there to support the family too. They are terrific and will give you loads of advice.

I have seen people who have been made homeless and even jailed because of CG, not that your mum will get there but seriously, get some advice off the best and do it now. xx

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Hadn't thought of that Noorza, if/when I stop trawling TP I'll have a look at their site. So, you seem to know a bit about gambling issues, have you ever heard of a link between dementia and gambling? Thanks, Toni x

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Seems I've been using the wrong search terms. Gambling and elderly is where the action is. Research shows older people are at very high risk of developing gambling problems and while 2% of the general population are estimated to have problems, it jumps to 11% in my Mum's age group. Makes sense given that problem gambling is about impulse control.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Hadn't thought of that Noorza, if/when I stop trawling TP I'll have a look at their site. So, you seem to know a bit about gambling issues, have you ever heard of a link between dementia and gambling? Thanks, Toni x

I am not informed about gambling and dementia but you can be sure Gamblers Anonymous will. they're were brilliant when I needed them.

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I am not informed about gambling and dementia but you can be sure Gamblers Anonymous will. they're were brilliant when I needed them.

I'm such a chicken! There's a free email or phone counselling service provided by the government, and I'm trying to work up the energy and courage to make contact :(

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Hi
You could just ring them and not give any details. Just keep it general.
I expect any help/advice you can get will help you, if not now, then down the track.
Good luck
Nanak (Kim)

Cfduti

May 13, 2013
Gam-Anon

Gam-Anon is an anonymous help group for people who are dealing with people who have gambling issues. I think there are a couple of meetings and contact numbers in melbourne.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
:) yep to sneaky but I know where to find hidden bank statements:)

Seriously I cannot recommend GA enough (they have a section for the family). They are there for us as much as the gambler and just talking to other family members is an education in itself.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976