Dementia Nurse

woowoo

Jul 20, 2013
Well, 11 months after diagnosis, we finally get to see the dementia nurse tomorrow.

What are your experiences of this service? What do I need to ask?

We've had no contact at all from the local memory service. I'm hoping they will be able to give the local council a kick up the bum with regards to the care package assessment. I've only been waiting since April!

Xx

jannyg

May 11, 2013
Well, 11 months after diagnosis, we finally get to see the dementia nurse tomorrow.

What are your experiences of this service? What do I need to ask?

We've had no contact at all from the local memory service. I'm hoping they will be able to give the local council a kick up the bum with regards to the care package assessment. I've only been waiting since April!

Xx

I hope your experience is better than mine. I had loads of questions but the dementia nurse I saw was unable to provide any answers apart from the contact number for a group run by Mind which was helpful and the contact number for an activity centre that was completely inappropriate! Try asking what questions do most carers ask you? Ask where you can access on-going face to face local support and get the numbers of the other services you may need to call on eg continence advice and occupational therapy.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I have never heard of a dementia nurse, we had a community psychiatric nurse who didn't do much until it came to crisis point. Waiting from April???. that;s nothing, we waited a year for the support worker and the person who was meant to be fitting the anti wandering mat never came at all.
Seriously, get back in touch with them about the assessment, you will need to do the kicking yourself.

Ask the dementia nurse how best to contact people when you need them and for ACTUAL NAMES of the people who are involved in all aspects of dementia care in your area. Also ask her/him what her role is.

Beccyjm

Jan 14, 2013
My mum and dad have access to one via the memory clinic.

My mum (one with denmentia) hates her face. But she is a tremendous support to my dad.

Dreamer111

Jun 13, 2013
Admiral Nurse

I hope your experience is better than mine. I had loads of questions but the dementia nurse I saw was unable to provide any answers apart from the contact number for a group run by Mind which was helpful and the contact number for an activity centre that was completely inappropriate! Try asking what questions do most carers ask you? Ask where you can access on-going face to face local support and get the numbers of the other services you may need to call on eg continence advice and occupational therapy.

Having returned to Uk after living in France for 9 years I was tearing my hair out trying to find help for my husband with mixed dementia. The Doctor at the memory clinic sent an Admiral Nurse to see us after my daughter rang to say I was having a carer breakdown. She has been wonderful and since refered us to an O.T, continence nurse
have a visit from a CPN, half hour care in the morning to wash and dress husband and he is attending day care two days a week. \we live in Warwickshire but help only arrived when I snapped. Hope you can find the same.