Very concerned!!!!

Julia58

Nov 23, 2011
My father has now almost lost the use of his legs and is mainly in a wheelchair or laid on bed. Has advanced vascular dementia and is starting to look very poorly now and quiet.

Is it right that a carer is not allowed in the toilet with a resident due to privacy.
Reason I ask is my dad pressed his buzzer the other day but wheelchair was missing so was pulled up held up on a walker and almost dragged to the toilet and left in there. He has no balance for a start and almost fell on a slate floor!!!
The carer left and my mum went in to find him just about to fall backwards and caught him. Mum is 81!!!!!
She pressed his buzzer and 4 members of staff came up but still no wheelchair,
Dad was then dropped gently to the floor and told to sit on the floor.
He had a catheter hanging from him too.
I am sick of complaining about dads lack of proper care and social services who don't do a lot,
Dads far too poorly to be moved now so that's out,
If I could...and I know I can't I would bring dad home and look after him myself. However I am very ill myself.
I could write a book here.
Very very worried as dad is having so many falls now.
Thank you x

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I don't know but common sense to me would say he can't go to the bathroom with a resident.

Common sense also tells me whether he is in hospital or a care home they have a duty of care to keep in safe and they are failing in that duty. I'd go up the food chain.

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Absolute DISGRACE!:mad::mad:

I would not accept this , what about his dignity.

If my mum EVER goes into a home I will have SPY cameras EVERYWHERE.

Am sick he was left like this your poor dad( lucky they dont know whats happening) oh this just really makes me angry and sick.

Poor you Please complain to higher up I would just not accept this:(

Last edited by a moderator:

emmajane88

Oct 10, 2012
Sorry to hear this has happened to your family.

You should make a complaint to the home manager in writing and request a meeting with them and other key staff members to put in place clear rules that you can all agree on. Communication is key.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that then you could make a complaint to the care quality commission.

Best of luck
x

Julia58

Nov 23, 2011
Thank you for your advice. Taken things further now. Never thought my poor father would be like this. xx

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Thank you for your advice. Taken things further now. Never thought my poor father would be like this. xx

You've done the right thing the more the families are on the ball and complain the less chance of this happening!!

Good for you! (look at it as a blessing that you noticed this straight away);)

Takemewithyou

Mar 10, 2011
Make sure you put your complaints in writing to the manager and also the owners of the care home chain.
That's the best advice I can give you.

Reading so many other posts where our relatives are not getting what we consider proper care, makes me despair.

It seems to me that the care homes are failing in such basic areas of a residents needs.

The real skills of care home staff should be in giving residents good personal interactions and good basic care. Unfortunately it seems more and more that to feed them, water them and dish the medications out is the most you can hope for.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...Make sure you put your complaints in writing to the manager and also the owners of the care home chain...."

Also make sure you include a sentence along the lines of:-

"I would like you to record this as a formal complaint about the low standard of care given to my father in <name of home>"

If you send the document to as high up in management as you can, it should trigger a formal internal complaints procedure.

If you feel really annoyed go to

http://www.cqc.org.uk/la

Search on the name of your Local Authority, find the home, click on 'tell us your experience' and write your complaint. This will put a record of your experience on the CQC database.

Takemewithyou

Mar 10, 2011
If you feel really annoyed go to

http://www.cqc.org.uk/la

Search on the name of your Local Authority, find the home, click on 'tell us your experience' and write your complaint. This will put a record of your experience on the CQC database.

I had no idea that this function would actually stay on the CQC database. I thought that individual complaints would be sidelined. Very interesting.

Thank you Nitram.

saffie_1982

Jul 27, 2013
It sounds like this home is using very outdated and dangerous techniques. I am a team leader in a residential home and carers certainly are allowed in to the toilet and for someone who has a history of falls and has poor balance I would consider it essential that they do. Staff should be trained to respect their dignity by covering their lap with a towel or standing just outside the door as not to be intrusive if that is what the person would like. Secondly if a person is not able to weight bare to transfer to a toilet they certainly should not be lifted or dragged. It is now considered an illegal lift, in a care setting, to pull someone up from under their arm unless it is in an emergency situation. It is just not safe for the carer or for your dad (this does not apply to paramedics and emergency cervices) It is the home managers duty to ensure that staff are complying with moving and handling regulations and that they are fully trained in this area. If a person is not able to stand or weight bare a standing aid or hoist should be used. If a hoist or standing aid is not being used for your dad and he is not able to weight bare insist on a occupational therapy visit. Obviously I don't know your dad and his needs but from what you have written here I would be very upset too. Its homes like this that gives residential care a bad name and it makes me very sad. The more we report these incidents the more will get done about it.