Heffy2ky

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Hello Heffy2ky,
Wecome to TP.
Just a couple thoughts to add about sundowning. It doesn't always happen early evening - this particular time seems to be the 'common' one but not always.

In our house I can best describe it as if someone has turned up the heating thermostat from 2'C to 47'C - there's loads of energy buzzing around in the air - exhausting for everybody in the building (not just that particular room) except for the person in charge of the thermostat controller:)

janma221

Apr 23, 2013
Powys
It's usually as evening approaches that my mother decides to go on her travels. This has resulted in a couple of dangerous episodes with her being brought back by the police and once suffering from hypothermia. With the lighter evenings she is now falling asleep about 6pm and bringing us breakfast at about 11pm. She wakes up very early in the morning and complains all the shops are shut (about 4am).
Jan x

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi and welcome to TP, my dad would need to get home, or let his mother know where he was, and it was any time from mid-morning. He was desperate to get out of the door. One of the wonderful members with dementia has graphically described the overwhelming feelings of not being who he was or doing what he once could. This welling up of anxiety and frustration made him feel like he wanted to "go home", back to who and what he once was. Wonderful insight.

Hope you learn and share much in this place.

Stephanie

Heffy2ky

Jul 11, 2013
Hi and welcome to TP, my dad would need to get home, or let his mother know where he was, and it was any time from mid-morning. He was desperate to get out of the door. One of the wonderful members with dementia has graphically described the overwhelming feelings of not being who he was or doing what he once could. This welling up of anxiety and frustration made him feel like he wanted to "go home", back to who and what he once was. Wonderful insight.

Hope you learn and share much in this place.

Stephanie

Thanks Stephanie just to be able to ask questions and get answers fairly quickly from people in same position as me is really helpful

Heffy2ky

Jul 11, 2013
Frustrated

My mams main carer for dad she's starting to get a bit worn out and I offer to help but dad won't stay with me so she can have time to her self he thinks he should be with her even though he calls her and swears at her all the time any ideas.
Also how to you arrange respite if needed who do you contact ?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Does your dad have a Social Worker? I would imagine that the respite would be organised through the Social Work Department.